Axminster No. 9 1/2 Block Plane Wow!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard Scanlan

Established Member
Reaction score
Just put down my new Axminster No. 9 1/2 Block Plane and I have to recommend it to anyone looking for a block plane. It is superb and at the money they are asking an absolute steal.

I have bid on many vintage Stanley models at 3 and 4 times the price on ebay and missed out each time.
So I reckoned it was worth taking a chance.
I spent half an hour tuning up the plane following Mr. Krenov's advice to get the mouth to close up to less than 1mm from the blade edge. I fully expected to have to fettle with this plane for hours and certainly retro fit a better blade. How wrong I was. It cuts shavings as thin as silk.

I have seldom bought a plane that did not have a sole that required flattening, not the case with this little beauty, it was as flat as a sheet of glass.
My advice is get one while they still have them in stock.
I've got mine :D

Do you know if the Stanley blades will fit it? I ask, because I want a plane to which I can fit a Ray Iles toothing blade to, which he makes for the various stanley block planes.

The blade looks like a Stanley model blade it is 110mm by 41mm and 2.9mm thick. But as I don't have a Stanley original to compare I cannot guarantee the Ray Ilses blade will fit. Although I am fairly sure that this is an exact copy of a Stanley block plane.

Some pictures with the adjuster removed and after filing the slot to allow the mouth to close up nice and tight. Just look at the dust on the little devil, it is getting plenty of use. The blade is holding its edge nicely too.

Attachments

• IMG_5018_L.JPG
    IMG_5018_L.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_5012_L.JPG
    IMG_5012_L.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_5019_L.JPG
    IMG_5019_L.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 983
Back