Axminster Next Day Delivery - RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Grumble Grumble :evil: :evil:

Having ordered a Lathe, Dust Extractor and some bits and pieces via the WEB from APT and expecting the next day delivery, when it did not happen, I phoned to find out where it has got to.

A helpful lady in Customer Services informs me that the next day has gone pear shaped and are not doing it any more. :!:

If I'm lucky, delivery maybe by the end of the week by TNT or someone. :cry:

Would be nice if they updated their Website and told us about this

John

That is a pity. My one-and-only order from Axminster was delivered so fast it took me by surprise.

About three weeks ago I ordered a variety of stuff - marking knife, hammer, two-foot rule, bunch of clamps and clamp guides, etc. Placed the order on a Saturday evening via the website; they tried to deliver at 10am Monday morning and I was out. I phoned on Monday at about 6pm and they re-delivered at 9.40am Tuesday. Technically, they delivered next-day twice!

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've always had excellent service. All of my orders from Rutlands, Axminster and diytools.com have been delivered promptly and completely.

Deary me, that's a shame. I was pretty impressed that they gave me a call when they couldn't deliver "next day" 'cos the van broke down. Maybe more of the vans have been breaking down than they can cope with? :? :lol:

So John, nice drive-by gloat there. A lathe huh? Feel inclined to tell more? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf .... its all your fault - I am swapping one China import for another!! I have ordered the CCL (simular to your Delta ???) to replace my very basic "Faithful" lathe. Its done great service but I got fed up unbolting the cover to move the belt every time I wanted to change speed - the variable speed CCL was very tempting. Did I mention that I also have ordered a Supernova chuck ?? :D :D

On the basis of 'speak as you find' I can only confirm that my orders have always been delivered promptly.

Furthermore, on one occasion when an item had been sent in error, they couldn't have been more apologetic and helpful in rectifying their error and the correct item was recieved the following day.

I HAVE ONLY ORDERED FROM THEM TWICE, BUT THE ONE INSTANCE WHERE AN ITEM WAS FAULTY THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL INDEED. THE WHOLE PROCESS WAS COMPLETED RAPIDLY AND WITH LITTLE FUSS.

ALL MAIL ORDER SUFFERS FROM ERRORS BY COURIERS / PICKERS / PACKERS. MY RULE OF THUMB IS - IF ITS CRITICAL PAY THE FEW PERCENT EXTRA AND BUY LOCALLY.

CHEERS

SAM

Hey All,
I have used Axminster a fair bit, and generally they are very good. Unfortunately, sometimes they are rubbish-that is very dissappointing, and is giving them a bad name.
What can I say, use your local tool store? But they don't stock those little items Axminster do, so we are stuck really!
Philly

John,

Ooo, a Supernova chuck too? Cool 8) I await your review with eagerness... :wink: Got yourself a fun weekend to look forward to, lucky fellow.

Cheers, Alf

John,

Keep us updated about the lathe. When I move I'm planning to get into turning :)

I can't tell you how many times I've used Axminster in the past and never had a problem with delivery although then again I've never bought any machinery from them only small items.

Yes, will do Charley
No sign of my lathe yet BUT the Supernova Chuck was delivered this morning and was ordered after the Lathe !! Well done "Turners Retreat"

Buying machinery from Axminster has always been a pleasure; it's the odds and ends that have caused me all the grief. I'm particularly pleased with their heavy machinery delivery; yep it costs more, but their drivers do that kind of thing all the time and they know what they're about. 10/10 and worth every penny. So John, really you should have got a bigger and heavier lathe... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

My one and (so far) only order to APT arrived less than 24 hours after placing it over the web. I actually had an e-mail within an hour to say that they were out of stock of the depth gauge and it would come later if that was OK. Having said OK to this it still turned up with the router table insert and fine height adjuster the following morning.

The mail order business in the bike accessory market gets a bad press too. The upshot in that, this, and all other markets is they are fine if the item is in stock (generally). Personally I use my local bike shop for everything now but as Isaac Lord close at 5 prompt every day I cannot get them except on Saturdays, and I wanted to build my simple router table quickly.

I also have had good past experience with APT on small items - my criticism of them is in the following extract from their Web Site:-

" next day delivery

Axminster offers a quality next day delivery service to over 99% of UK households. The remaining postcode areas not serviced ‘next day’ are delivered to within 2-3 days.

The ‘next day’ service carries products over 2Kg in weight unless the product is stipulated as a ‘heavy goods delivery only’ in the catalogue (Products under 2Kg in weight are sent first class with the Royal Mail).
"

They have discontinued this service without informing at the order acknowledgement stage OR amended their Web Site.

Lathe still hasn't arrived :(
John

Hi All,

I placed an order with Axminster yesterday afternoon at half past three and like Pete W it took me completely by surprise, the urgent bits were being used in my workshop at half past eight this morning.

Admittedly there was nothing heavy and most were stock type items, but delivery in less than 24 hours can't be bad.

CC

It seems to be their heavy stuff that is no longer next day - I have been very pleased with their next day delivery for smaller items where they use Royal Mail :)

Back