Axminster Mobile Base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought About two weeks ago the Axminster Mobile Base to move my table Saw in and out of 'hiding'

Mobile_Base.jpg

But had not yet the time until yesterday, yes on valentines day I had finaly the time to put this

MobileBase3.JPG

into this
MobileBase1.JPG

MobileBase2.JPG

And it does the job, not an expensive mobile base, but ok

maybe later i will replace the wood by metal

Thank you for showing us this. I'm thinking of buying a couple myself when I get my new workshop constructed and your post has come as a timely reminder.

Gill

Thank you Chris - very informative. It raises the question of how the mobile base went together for Mcluma.

I've dug out issue 147 of GWW and I'm confident an Ian Dalziel home-made mobile base is within my capabilities but I couldn't source the brackets for the plinth levelling feet that Ian used. Can you help, Ian?

Gill

Actually this axminster base is very very easy put together some 40mm by 40mm stock and off you go, it took me about half an hour (in between other jobs) to put it together, If you have a bench drill it will go even quicker, as you only have to drill from one side. I had to dril from both sides as i did it with an hand held drill and want the holes to match up

And yes it flexes (only on the front) but i have noticed that it actually doesn't matter

I did it with good old cheap pine, but if you have some oak stock - even better

But As i am only going back and forward with the machine it works fine. I am not about to undertake miles and miles with this base.

Yes I looked at the more expensive base from axminster (the Jet one) with steel, but it still has only two swivel wheels on the front, so no chance their

Like i said it fitted my purpose fine, and the good one is, IT IS A WOODWORKING PROJECT :wink:

I bought one of these from Axminster for my bandsaw (weighing in at 25kg). It did have some bits missing from the bag of bits, but a phone call later and a new bag duly arrived. I looked at the measurements in the instructions and measured the bits and they weren't quite accurate enough for me so I ignored the dimensions in the instructions and thicknessed my pine exactly to the bits for a really tight fit. I would advise anyone getting one of these to do the same as it makes it much stiffer once bolted together. I'm very pleased with it. Does the job perfectly.

Mr Bump":1maxkuno said:
I ignored the dimensions in the instructions and thicknessed my pine exactly to the bits for a really tight fit.

Ahh, thats the spirit! I always double check "officially" supplied dimensions.

Welcome to the forum.8)

Adam

He Mr Bump

that is odd that something is missing in a bag of Axminster, never had that before.

Which bits were missing, If you thoughed about the bolts, then it was only meant to take 2 bolts at each end

I (the one who never read the instructions) was under the assumption (the mother of all mess-ups) that every bracket had to be fixed with three bolts per side (Well these Amies thought that 2 bolt was enough)

And are you happy with the base :?:

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.

It was missing the circlips that hold the lifting foot together - not something I could fashion out of wood or keep with the hundred or so odd nails and screws that will come in handy one day. A quick phone call to Axminster and a complete bag arrived. I too was surprised that anything was missing - I checked and double checked as I didn't believe it - never had anything missing before or since from Axminster.

I'm very happy with the base. My main concern before buying it was that my bandsaw (AWSBS) which is top heavy on its legs would not be stable enough on the base. It is! Low ground clearance is the trick.

Cheers,
Col.

Col
I recently bought three bases, something I should have done a long time ago. It really makes a difference being able to easily move stuff around. The only parts missing were the same as yours; one bag was missing the circlips. Luckily I've got an old baccy tin labeled circlips. Problem solved.
Toby

Back