Axminster MB9020 broken

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
not having a great day in the workshop, got my Axminster MB9020 planner in may 2010 started it up for the first time in a while today and it was working fine for 2 - 3 min`s then it cut out getting a burning smell from the motor its never had a lot of use probably just over a hour or two, will Axminster be able to help sort this?? or is there anything i can check myself.
thanks in advance, mark.

I'd check that the brushes aren't stuck. Tends to happen with the cold damp weather we've been having. Much more than that I have to defer to the experts on the forum.

Hope its an easy fix.

thanks for the reply hanser, i removed the motor from the machine checking brushes ect, i found over 1 cm left on those. however the windings on the motor had become untied in places with what looks like bag ties broken. the overall quality of the motor is shocking.
i`ve now been left £50 down for a new motor on its way to me now as the machine is out of warranty (cant believe the motor is £50 as it`s a similar motor as on my chop saw which cost £55 new from argos).
all in all thoroughly disappointed with this planner thicknesser even though it is a hobby machine i would of thought it would of been capable of more than 2 hours work before failing.

wouldn`t recommend the the mb9020 to anyone now.

Mark
Sorry to read the bad news re the motor.
Presumably you spoke with Axminster ? I found them very helpful when sorting out my ts200 but it was out of the box.
I'm surprised they've not considered some sort of contribution to the repair. After all they build hobby machines for hobbyists and you'd expect more than 2 hours life.

Mark

Try talking to Axi again but ask for a supervisor. Explain in detail what has happened, say you understand it is out of warranty, but that as it has failed after approx 2 hours work which is well within its hobby rating that you feel that under the Sale of Goods Act (I think) that the machine was "not fit for purpose" and you would like it either repaired free of charge or replaced. Not sure if you are entitled to full refund. Others may know more.

Back