Axminster M950 Vibrating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1mbr0wn

Established Member
Reaction score
When i am hollowing i seem to be getting a bit of vibration, because the head can swing round i moved it round to see if there was anything obstruction and notices that it sits on a sort of dome and about 2mm from the top of the actual bed, is that normal.

Checking to see if the 2 centers meet when its like that and they do just fine, so gave it a twist round so that its seated ok and a good old tighten up but still some vibes coming.

Does anyone have good knowledge of this lathe, I have 2 chucks a dakota x700 and a small barracuda one, both vibrate similarly.

Thanks

How old is it?

When did you last clean and service (lubricate) the cone drives?

If you place a length of timber between the bed and the chuck and apply pressure can you detect any movement of the chuck/spindle vertically or side to side ?

Are your tools sharp?

Blunt tools can cause vibration as they rub instead of cut.

Likewise not presenting the tool at the correct angle can also cause vibration, particularly with a long overhang whilst hollowing.

Also hold the tool down onto the rest, don't just let it lay there.

Everything I have is only 4 or 5 months old, didn't do to much tonight still working on the challenge so nothing really to get any vibration. Tools are pretty good not I have a tormek although they weren't when I didn't have one. Still working on presentation and getting the bevel to rub.

Thanks for the comments I'll keep working on it to get to bottom of the problem.

Back