• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Axminster M950 Vibrating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

j1mbr0wn

Established Member
Reaction score
When i am hollowing i seem to be getting a bit of vibration, because the head can swing round i moved it round to see if there was anything obstruction and notices that it sits on a sort of dome and about 2mm from the top of the actual bed, is that normal.

Checking to see if the 2 centers meet when its like that and they do just fine, so gave it a twist round so that its seated ok and a good old tighten up but still some vibes coming.

Does anyone have good knowledge of this lathe, I have 2 chucks a dakota x700 and a small barracuda one, both vibrate similarly.

Thanks

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
How old is it?

When did you last clean and service (lubricate) the cone drives?

If you place a length of timber between the bed and the chuck and apply pressure can you detect any movement of the chuck/spindle vertically or side to side ?

myturn

Established Member
Reaction score
Are your tools sharp?

Blunt tools can cause vibration as they rub instead of cut.

Likewise not presenting the tool at the correct angle can also cause vibration, particularly with a long overhang whilst hollowing.

Also hold the tool down onto the rest, don't just let it lay there.

j1mbr0wn

Established Member
Reaction score
Everything I have is only 4 or 5 months old, didn't do to much tonight still working on the challenge so nothing really to get any vibration. Tools are pretty good not I have a tormek although they weren't when I didn't have one. Still working on presentation and getting the bevel to rub.

Thanks for the comments I'll keep working on it to get to bottom of the problem.

Latest posts