Axminster m900 faceplate issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, iIm new to turning and have encountered an early problem. I bought a 2nd hand m900 lathe that works fine and invested in a Supernova chuck which is also great. I recently bought a 4" faceplate that screwed nicely onto the headstock , only thing is that anything more than about 6 " knocks against the motor housing at the back! I can see that if I had a faceplate ring that fitted onto the chuck then it,d clear the motor housing as the chuck sticks out a good couple of inches from the headstock. Only problem with that is that i.d need to buy new jaws and ring and discard the screw on faceplate...! Is there anything else i can do?
Thanks, Mike.

On a more practical note maybe Axminster sell the deeper faceplate or wou could turn a 4" wide spacer and use longer screws to go through spacer and then into your blank?

. I had the same problem when I started. Something I did, was to turn an extension block for the faceplate, which I then used as a faceplate in its own right.

You'd have to be careful with it because it it obviously less robust than a real faceplate but it is simple enough to make and try with caution

Chris

Sorry, just read what bog monster said - that is what I did!

Back