Axminster M600 / M330

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koss

Reaction score
Hello I hope all are well!

I'm a newb to this forum, but really hoping you can help. I currently have and have been learning on a Tyme Cub lathe. A great little beast, but very limited on size as the bowl capacity realistically (due to tool rest getting in the way) is about 6inches. I don't need to go huge as not looking to do monster bowls. But would like to go bigger.
I have seen that the m600 from Axminster apparently does 10in (24cm) which would be fine really for me and the wood I can get hold of. I just can find very little on these lathes that states about the realistic bowl sizes etc.
The reason I'm thinking this lathe is because I've been offered one at a great price and does look a nice little lathe to use. Is that true?

Thanks so much. If anyone has any Tyme Cub q's I'll do my best to help!

The M600 has been superseded by other models for some time now but was quite a nice lathe iirc. Is the one youre looking at a pulley change or electronic speed change version? (Iirc Jason breech at axminster personally had the electronic speed kit for sale a short while ago, not sure if he sold it).

in terms of capacity, it’s not just about the swing (that is simple geometry) but also the weight of the lathe and power of the motor. You’ll always be better off with a pre-prepared round blank compared to an uneven log but iirc the 600 was still bench mounted m/c so 24” would seem a bit ambitious without being bolted to a serious stand or base.

other thing to think about is spindle size. If you’re after a bigger lathe and will be turning for some time, perhaps look for an upgrade with m33x3.5 as that is likely where you’ll end up and will mean you won’t be buying new chucks ‘ faceplates etc twice.

just some thoughts but all the above may not matter too much if the price is right!

simon

HI Simon, thank you very much for your reply - I hadn't thought about the bench element I must admit. I believe it is a pully change rather than electronically controlled, which is a shame, but something I'm used to with the Cub!

Back