Axminster Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting one of these

Axminster AW1416VS

Has anyone got one? If so, how is it? Particularly..

* is it quiet? my current Jet 1014 is very quiet, makes it a pleasant tool to use
* does it really go down to 0 rpm? I can see this being very handy to have it turning really slowly, but just not sure if this is a bit of a marketing claim.
* Can the magnetic switch be placed somewhere less likely to get covered in crud than the front left?

Thanks

I had one for a few weeks earlier this year

yes its just as quiet as the 1014 but bear in mind you do also have an inverter noise on the axi lathe

yes it really does go down to 0

yes the mag box can go in a variety of places

Thanks cornucopia

Forgive my dumb question - what is the inverter noise? An electrical buzzing? How loud is it? Louder than the sound of the lathe motor?

Also - you say you only had it for a few weeks...was there a reason?

Hi Toby

Most inverters have a fan inside to keep them cool so it not a loud noise

I cant see how Axminster can make that lathe for the price its what I call a BIG small lathe :lol:

One of our forum members has this lathe and also

George Foweraker a professional turner http://www.artistry-in-wood.co.uk/index.html

George did a review in woodturning mag about 6 months ago and rated the lathe highly

hope this helps :deer :ho2 :deer

Yes its like a whining/whirling noise- I found it a bit annoying and thought they'd mounted the inverter box in quite a vunerable place, I have been spoilt though as the inverter in the vb is inside the base and you dont really know its there.

Thanks both - sounds like it's not going to be painfully noisy to use for long periods.

My only problem now is that they are out of stock :(

Ok, I'm that other member that has one!!

I've had it now for around a couple of months. It was a nightmare to get my hands on it.....It's a long story! if you can find it
(not sure how to put a link) see my post: MY NEW LATHE......OBLIGATORY PICTURES NOW ADDED
It took 2 and a half months for it to be in stock
But it's a great lathe.

I use it for hours on end (tonights example 3hrs... mostly 4-5hrs) and it's fine. it's really quiet. Tonight I heard a plane going over above the sound of the lathe.

I haven't really found another place to put the magnetic switch ......attached to the lathe.... that's any better than at the front. But with a bit of metal attached to a wall next to it it would be good... it has quite a long lead.

I love the fact that the tailstock in removeable.
It's smooth, powerful, a great machine.

Thanks Melinda...you convinced me.

So, I ordered yesterday. It said on the website out of stock, but in stock at Nuneaton. Rang Nuneaton and the guy said actually they don't have any in stock (glad I rang first...) and according to records, the next unallocated stock is due in March. Oh well, I thought, I will order anyway, and just have to wait. After your story, I thought I could be waiting forever unless I get on the back order list.

So imagine my surprise when I received an email yesterday afternoon saying the lathe had been dispatched - but minus the axminster live centre. Perhaps that was all that was making it say 'out of stock'?..

Wife just rang to say its arrived. Just hoping that I don't open it up and find your old one with the cracks in the bed!!

Talk about Christmas coming early. Only problem is, I haven't had a chance to get as thread adapter so I won't be able to use my chuck until Axminster opens up again after xmas.

Fantastic news on the new lathe front Toby! Hope all is well with it! I didn't expect there to be such a thing as a quiet lathe, I could really see the benefit of it as my Record DML 24 is far from silent.

How jammy are you!! I was twitching and shaking waiting for mine... weeks and weeks!!! and you got a warning e mail that it was on it's way!!!

who exactly did you sweet talk or bribe!!! :lol:

I hope everything is ok with it :? I'm terrified everytime I switch it on that something's going to go wrong with it!

It is a nice relief for it to be quiet after having my tiny SIP lathe. With that one I couldn't hold a conversation with anyone while it was on.
The new baby, lovely and quiet.

...and the live centre arrived this morning. Not what I was expecting for something which said it was out of stock!

Sorry melinda. I seem to be charmed compared with you. Maybe Santa's records show I've been a better child than you this year?...

Got it all set up now. Seems fine. Can't say I like the 'door' formed by the readout, but otherwise it's as quiet as people say and the variable speed is ace.

Lewis - you will certainly be happier with a quiet lathe.. For a start you can have the radio on while you play!

Haha, a very good point! I've asked for a radio for the shed for christmas. I'll be able to listen to it whilst prepping :)

drillbit":12az2kc2 said:
...and the live centre arrived this morning. Not what I was expecting for something which said it was out of stock!

Sorry melinda. I seem to be charmed compared with you. Maybe Santa's records show I've been a better child than you this year?...

Got it all set up now. Seems fine. Can't say I like the 'door' formed by the readout, but otherwise it's as quiet as people say and the variable speed is ace.

Lewis - you will certainly be happier with a quiet lathe.. For a start you can have the radio on while you play!

I have visions of Melinda sticking pins in an effigy after that additions Toby!

Look forward to your views after a month or so 'playing' - so enjoy it.

Put your pins away Medlinda - here's the new toy!

newlathe.jpg

Frustratingly...it's literally been gathering dust over christmas. Apart from a quick spin to check it out, I haven't used it properly. I don't have a chuck to fit it,so for the time being, I am still using the Jet.. I was expecting it to take 3 months to arrive, so I wasn't prepared! But the spindle adapter should be arriving tomorrow, so I can finally start using it. :D

Best of all, though - looks like I saved a lot by ordering it in 2011. Just seen it's now gone up by £140 quid.

Attachments

• newlathe.jpg
    newlathe.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 851
drillbit":kwxugi30 said:
Best of all, though - looks like I saved a lot by ordering it in 2011. Just seen it's now gone up by £140 quid.

Jesus!!! I'm glad I got mine when I did as well then!!!.....

She whispers ... bet you didn't do what i did....took one of the grub screws out of the face plate to take it of and didn't realise there was a second one, swore as I thought it was cross threaded on... gets worse ... then went and got my neighbour who casually spun it round and took the other grub screw out!!! :oops: :oops:

You're mastermind compared to me I spent a loooong time wondering why the faceplate was not removable. :oops: I didn't spot the grub screws initially, but then I remembered reading about how reverseable lathes need chucks which can be secured with screws, and click - lightbulb.

It's a lovely beast. My only niggle is that there is a bit of run out on the handwheel (? correct term) on the headstock. It's made up of two parts which fix in place with grub screws, and you can see that they are not running true. If you look from the side, you can see them moving up and down relative to each other a bit as it spins. Does yours have the same? Maybe these things are just more noticeable when you can slow the speed right down?

Back