Axminster Jacobs Chuck - missing Key

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am still very new to this fine scientific art of woodturning and trying to amass the various weapons required to enjoy it fully:D

I have aquired an old Axminster Jacobs chuck that will fit my even older graduate lathe but I dont have a key for it and dont seem able to find out how to get one. Its an imperial version with sizes of 1/32" - 1/2" marked on it and the code JT6. Its for a MT 2 taper.

Any help or advice gratefully received, cheers Steve

If you have a decent tool shop near you, go there with the chuck and 99% likely they'll have exactly what you want. If not, just Google Jacobs Chuck Keys. With the info you have (plus, I bet, a code number stamped into the ring around where the MT comes out of the back of the chuck) you'll have no problem finding one. Especially model engineering suppliers such as Arc Euro Trade (as just one example of a number of sources listed in the sticky at the top of the General Metalworking section here on UKW).

Such chucks are not in any way limited to "just" wood turners, but are commonly used on metal working lathes too.

HTH

Ring Axminster technical I am sure they can advise the correct type / size from their records

Hi, I am still very new to this fine scientific art of woodturning and trying to amass the various weapons required to enjoy it fully:D

I have aquired an old Axminster Jacobs chuck that will fit my even older graduate lathe but I dont have a key for it and dont seem able to find out how to get one. Its an imperial version with sizes of 1/32" - 1/2" marked on it and the code JT6. Its for a MT 2 taper.

Any help or advice gratefully received, cheers Steve

I think it's a K32 chuck key that fits that chuck, but as suggested by others, check with Axminster 👍

Back