Axminster Issues!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leharrold

Reaction score
Morning!
I've recently inherited an Axminster M950 and this might sound stupid but I'm really struggling to remove the drive centre. With my old Wadkin I would just rod it but as this has a solid hand wheel I'm a bit thrown! Been through the manual with a fine comb but no joy, any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Laura.

Once you get it out it may pay you to get a thread protector and by undoing that it will push the drive out for you in the future

Hmm no nut, couple of threaded holes about 2cm apart which the manual seems to imply are for the face plate, I like the thread protector idea, once it's out I shall invest!

Thanks Guys.

I used to have one of these lathes but it was while ago so forgive me if my memory is failing...

The threaded holes are to lock the spindle for the indexing. If you have no threaded rods to fit into these then a short piece of rod inserted will lock the spindle and then I think it ought to be possible to remove the handwheel (unscrew it - LH thread I think) and then I have a feeling that the spindle is hollow to use a knock-out bar.

If I'm wrong and your headstock isn't hollow then with a set of pump pliers it ought to be possible to twist and remove your drive centre with the spindle locked as described above.

Good luck and I HTH
Jon

I use to have a M950 and the headstock spindle was hollow. I don't think they came with handwheels so it looks to have been fitted later. You can download a Manual from the Axminster site which does not show a handwheel.

Bill

I think this is where the confusion lies, I found no mention of the hand wheel in the manual.. will continue to try and unscrew. Thanks for your help!

Back