Axminster Hobby Series TS-250M Basic Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw the words "hobby" and "basic" I was expecting a price tag of under £150. I should have realised that in Axminster's case that would mean more than double that :roll:

Hardly cheap for a hobby range tool, especially when you can get a Bosch or Charnwood for 2/3 the price.

MMUK":18wa4ubb said:
When I saw the words "hobby" and "basic" I was expecting a price tag of under £150. I should have realised that in Axminster's case that would mean more than double that :roll:

Hardly cheap for a hobby range tool, especially when you can get a Bosch or Charnwood for 2/3 the price.
.. do they have induction motors, cast iron table and 80mm depth of cut ?

The Charnwood has induction motor and an 84mm depth of cut. Stainless (IIRC) table though. Not 100% sure on the Bosch apart from it's a heavy gauge alu table.

on paper i think this machine looks great spec & i would considered this if they were available last year, My Bosch GTX10 XC though a wonderful machine cost considerably more and does not have that much more to offer.

To be fair, the TS-200 version seems to have a good following for what it is. That price doesn't seem to bad to me for the TS-250 with a 1.5Kw induction motor, 250mm blade, 25" x 17" cast iron ground table and weighing a good 80kg.

Also, where can you get a Bosch 10" table saw for £215?

shed9":2txbm02w said:
To be fair, the TS-200 version seems to have a good following for what it is. That price doesn't seem to bad to me for the TS-250 with a 1.5Kw induction motor, 250mm blade, 25" x 17" cast iron ground table and weighing a good 80kg.

Also, where can you get a Bosch 10" table saw for £215?
The TS200 isn't a bad saw. A lot of the problems stem from cheap manufacturing and the fact the welders don't seem to use a tape measure/ square when assembling the frame :(

So what was the outcome, did you buy one? Reason I ask is because I was considering the same saw as a replacement for my 11 year old Erbauer one. I want an induction motor and would prefer a cast iron table. I only have a small shed and therefore need a relatively small machine. My Erbauer starts with a bang, has a lot of blade wobble, is extremely noisy and has started to cut out a lot. If not the Axminster, what can I get for under £500?
Thanks in advance
Paul

tsg":17he5yle said:
So what was the outcome, did you buy one? Reason I ask is because I was considering the same saw as a replacement for my 11 year old Erbauer one. I want an induction motor and would prefer a cast iron table. I only have a small shed and therefore need a relatively small machine. My Erbauer starts with a bang, has a lot of blade wobble, is extremely noisy and has started to cut out a lot. If not the Axminster, what can I get for under £500?
Thanks in advance
Paul

It is still out of stock for about 3 weeks according to their site.

Good morning all. I was going to start a new thread but I think that's pretty pointless seeing as my requirements are being discussed here. So if may, could I just hijack this thread please?

I am looking at buying a table saw next month. I originally started with a budget of £150 (second hand is ok). I know the two words "budget" and "decent" very rarely go together so my budget very quickly evaporated. My starting point is now the Axminster TS-200. Is there anything else around this price point which I should consider please?

Just some background on me for your suggestions:

* I have very limited space. I live in a terraced house and have converted my coal shed and bog into a wood shop (in the very loosest term of the phrase!!!!!) I have just built a workbench in there so space is at a premium

* I am just starting out so my skills are limited (this shouldn't have any baring on my choice though, should it?)

* I'd like to make small boxes/humidors/drawers/my own tool chest etc. Basically hobby things until I win the lottery and can have a proper woodshop like those videos on Youtube!!

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I'm also happy to look at second hand as well.

Well my old table saw went up with bang and a lot of smoke yesterday. Having had a look on the net I couldn't see anything I preferred so I was going to opt for the smaller Hobby TS200. Went to Axminster in Sittingbourne and lo and behold they had a 250 on display :D . Apparently they took delivery of 3 of them yesterday (the only ones in the country so I was told). 2 sold yesterday and I picked up the display model today (no discount though :( )
It appears to be quite well made and very sturdy. The fence was dead parallel although they may have adjusted it during assembly in store. It is not as quiet as I would have hoped but no where near as loud as my old Erbauer. The small mitre guage sits very snugly in the slot with no noticeable free play. A few quick test cuts impressed me with the saw's efficiency and accuracy.
The main problem I have at the moment is the dust extraction. I know it is frowned upon but I am used to using a table saw with out the blade guard attached so that I can use various sleds and jigs. I took the guard off this saw and found that the dust extraction without it is next to useless. I am waiting for the sliding carriage to be delivered and hopefully with this I wont need the sleds and will be able to re install the guard.
Once it is fully up and running I will update this review
Paul

Hi Paul

u lucky to get that
next stock not due until June :(

p.s. your box of bits was awaiting postage on the counter :)

Steve

tsg":2jd8o8sm said:
Apparently they took delivery of 3 of them yesterday (the only ones in the country so I was told).
I was in Axminster Basingstoke a couple of days ago and I think they had one on display just inside the door; only a passing glance though but it looked bigger than the TS200...

What's happening at Axminster then? I had to wait months for an Evolution chuck. When I decided to get the O'Donnell jaws set it turned out they were out of stock and have been for about 6 weeks. Still waiting. So I went to order a different set as a stop-gap yesterday (can't remember which now) and they were out of stock as well. Perhaps I'm just unlucky in my choice of tools, or perhaps my choices are the same as many other peoples' so there's been a run on them. But now we find the table saws are in the same league (not that I want one).
Just wondering.

K

tsg - I can't see a downloadable manual for the TS-250M, so could you advise whether the saw blade can be changed from the top of the machine, as on the TS-200, please?

I have an earlier Axminster saw of similar type, and I have to turn it upside down for blade changing - what a pain!

Also, it appears that the blade angle is changed using a rotating handle, so fine adjustments should be easier than on mine where I have to change it by pushing on the loosened clamping knob - also a pain. Could you confirm that this is the case?

Finally, I gather from other comments that it has a cast iron table - mine is aluminium, and I have yet to find an angle checking gauge or magnetic feather boards that use aluminium magnets! :shock:

Good luck with your serendipitious purchase.

Latest posts

Back