Axminster fine tools event?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Since it has been several months since I last visited Axminster tools I traveled up to visit the rather poorly advertised fine tools event today.
Fully expecting a good turn out I was rather surprised to find a near empty car park. Upon entry I was warmly greeted by Martin from Brimarc.
Their display was held in the training room upstairs and for some time it seemed that I was the only one there and was given some excellent 1 to 1 demonstrations of the Tormek and new Leigh jigs. There were no other companies present. All the Veritas planes were laid out on a table and I had an excellent time trying and testing them all out. ( If only I had pockets full of money!) I did take some photos which follow. I spent a good part of the day suspiciously wandering around the store admiring all the tools that I couldn't afford and did my bit to consume some of the free jammy dodgers supplied by Brimarc. I stayed until 3.0 pm but saw very few visitors although David Charlesworth did appear in the afternoon.
Martin did have the new Veritas chair making tools on display. I particularly liked the new mini-scraper which worked very well indeed. The travisher looked the business and I found it rather gentle and easy to use.
Martin.jpg

4new.jpg
four new Veritas chair-making tools

travisher.jpg
this looked brutal but was very pleasant to use.

oooh.jpg
oooooh this little scraper is veeery nice!

scraper.jpg

collection2.jpg

Perhaps Saturday may bring a few more visitors.

Regards, Aldel

Alan
Looks like you had a good time! Sadly I cannot make it this time-too many jobs on my "Honey Do" list :lol:
Have fun all those who are going tomorrow,
Philly :D

Philly":3ts4tmji said:
Alan
Sadly I cannot make it this time-too many jobs on my "Honey Do"
For shame :)
I hope to make it, though no idea what time, strikes me that there's not been a lot of noise round these parts about it so its not suprising that its poorly attended.
Mike

Deary me. I suppose Axminster will see this as confirmation it's not worth doing shows/stocking Veritas planes etc, when it's just confirming the old (and regrettably sexist) adage:

Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know you're doing it but nobody else does.

aldel":v5nm6rt9 said:
The travisher looked the business and I found it rather gentle and easy to use.
At last, someone with an opinion on it. Been hesitating over pulling the trigger waiting for some, any, feedback. Honestly, what we need is someone reviewing these Veritas tools... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I think that Axminster have made a glaring marketing error here. Even on their website it was difficult to find yet they manage to send out b***dy irritating 'caring for abandoned basket' emails if you don't order within about an hour of putting anything in your online trolley.

The customer service is still first rate - their marketing dept needs firing

Cheers

Tim

Oh hell yes, those abandoned basket emails... I wouldn't abandon my basket if I could work out how to save the darn thing. Is it me, or d'you have to save each thing individually for later and then move them back to the basket one at a time? If I'm missing the obvious, please, please put me out of my misery.

Sorry, tottering slightly off topic here. Getting to be a bit of a habit recently. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2rzne1g4 said:
Deary me. I suppose Axminster will see this as confirmation it's not worth doing shows/stocking Veritas planes etc, when it's just confirming the old (and regrettably sexist) adage:

Cheers, Alf

Or they might see it as, "It's not worth stocking Lie-Nielson" !

Say I ducking for cover. :wink:

Lord Nibbo":54dzoarp said:
Or they might see it as, "It's not worth stocking Lie-Nielson" !

As the very event would appear to have been staged to convince Axminster that better stock variety would be worth while I feel for the participants, and the lack of marketing by Axminster, might be forgiven for thinking they were not party to the event, no promotion signs even on entering the store when visited today, overwhelmed by the biscuits and raffle, just me the boss (who passed her usual disparaging comments about boys and plane hugging) and one other in attendance for at least 20 min.

I am disappointed to read that Saturday was not better attended and why is it that I get the feeling that there was some heavy politics going on in the background on the part of Axminster?

I would like to extend my thanks to Martin and the BriMarc team for their professional and friendly attitude. I was encouraged to try, test and chat but with no heavy sales pressure.

Have I won the raffle, have I, have I? :D

Aldel
It worked, after years of resistance, I bought a Tormek. I checked out the Jet but it had considerable run-out on the honing wheel. :shock:

Alf":tb8tk0tf said:
CHJ":tb8tk0tf said:
...the boss (who passed her usual disparaging comments about boys and plane hugging)...
Excuse me...? :-s :lol:

:lol: There were only 3 attendant "boys" awaiting for someone to demonstrate to Alf: and I don't think she is aware of your'collection'.

aldel":8j3oskly said:
It worked, after years of resistance, I bought a Tormek.

Sounds to me as if this event was just a conspiracy, Aldel, to get you there on your own and flog you a Tormek :lol: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I called in on Saturday and found the store to be quieter than usual; however it was nice to have a chance to see the Veritas planes without having to fight one way to the front of a queue. I was quite taken by the Kreg K3 jointing kit, which I had always put down as a fad. Martin gave a very interesting and detailed run through of the Tormek and I was particuarly impressed by how he sharpened bench plane blades on it. I hope that Axminster do take on the Veritas planes, as they make for good competition with the LN and Clifton ones. Best part for me was that Martin had some stock and I was able to buy a low angle jack; although I have to wait until Christmas before being allowed to use it!
Cheers, David

I would love to go to something like this. But its just too far from me to justify the 2 day trip :cry: . If Axminster had hired a room somewhere perhaps in the midlands where the catchment area would be much bigger I'm sure the attendance would be better.

I am going to Harrogate, although from the few things I've read about it; I might be disappointed. We'll see.

Lee.

Hi Lee

Everything we had at Axminster will be at Harrogate, however as previously said there will be crowds. To avoid those I suggest you time you visit for a late in the day as the show always quietens down at 4.00 approx.

Thanks

Martin

Harrogate's generally pretty good, with some decent specials and excellent demonstrations. There's always some 'snake oil' but I spend 2 days there and it's usually worthwhile.

I feel a bit more excited now. I'll have to take some 'Christmas money' with me.

:D

It's a slippery slope......

I think Harrogate may be well worth it for you good hand tool junkies as Brimarc with Veritas etc, Classic Hand Tools with Lie Nielsen (Blue Spruce, Adria, Auriou, Clenton, Gordon, Kirjes and some) Mick Hudson with Clifton Planes & Ray Iles with a bundle of old tools will rise above the malaise affecting some of the 2006 shows. :D

Another low key event! This is mainly for my locals but anyone and everyone is very welcome! :D .John Lloyd is demonstrating Lie Nielsen Tools at the Classic Hand Tools shop in Needham Market, Suffolk this Saturday 18th. May even buy two packs of Jammy Dodgers in case there is a rush. Mike

Back