Axminster Drill Press Support 9230

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I still can't make up my mind on this one. It really depends on the dimensions of the drill you are mounting it on and what you want to use the support for.

It is very sturdily made. The central mounting platform is made of metal about 6mm thick. This platform has a 'V' cut out that corresponds with a 'V' in the other half. The two units bolt together around the drill pillar. The bolts are incredibly long and will fit probably any pillar that's out there. My pillar is a 'baby' and so I simply cut the bolts down to a sensible length.

When clamped up, the table was not 100% square with the drill bit but not far off. Some shims and a bit of fiddling about in the V grooves would sort that out.

P1010112.jpg

The first problem is that there is no central hole in the platform and so it cannot be used in place of the platform that came with the drill. . I don't want to remove my normal platform everytime I use the support and so I tend to fix the support immediately on top of my original platform. That loses me some vertical working height.

The next problem is the roller supports are mounted quite high relative to the platform - see the picture. This effectively unnecessarily raises the working height for the workpiece yet again.

This is a bit of a nuisance because the pillar on my drill is fairly short and so once the support is mounted, the available distance from platform to drill chuck is only 75mm on my drill. Too short for any but the smallest drill and certainly not long enough to mount a Forstner bit.

P1010108.jpg

Next, because the support rollers are higher than the platform, you have to build up the platform with blocks of wood to support your workpiece. But because the platform does not extend far enough forward to be in line with the total width of the rollers, as you move the workpiece around, the blocks of wood tend to fall off

P1010107.jpg

The roller supports are also quite long and so I found that I had to swivel the drill around to be end on vis a vis the workmate. If you had your pillar drill fixed on a workbench then you'd be stuffed.

P1010113.jpg

The minimum distance that the rollers can be moved in is only 29cm from roller to drill bit. This was too wide for my purposes as I would have preferred something shorter. The maximum is 63cm from roller to drill bit.
Note that as you move the rollers out to their furthest extent then they drop relative to the height that they were when they were close in. This means that you will need a different thickness block of wood to support your workpiece.

Having said all that, for £34.90, given its' limitations, it does have its' uses. But no good for kitchen doors!

Thanks for the report, it is always useful to see the results of someone trying to use a piece of equipment rather than have to rely on the advertising blurb alone.

By the way with my setup three of the pics were visible if I first went to the properties ref. in IE first.

The second one still comes up with:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /picture/sraid156/pc31d7ab14a86a96ff5d27cf05c1fd39b/f54a799c.jpg on this server.

********--------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.imagestation.com Port 80.

Even in your new link.

Is picture reference correct?

I reckon it's the Sunday afternoon Internet blues as they are (a) all now visible from the original post and (b) the one that gave Forbidden is also viewable.

Go figure!

rsinden":30okjo2v said:
It really depends on the dimensions of the drill you are mounting it on and what you want to use the support for.

It looks like it would be more use on a floor standing machine

When clamped up, the table was not 100% square with the drill bit but not far off. Some shims and a bit of fiddling about in the V grooves would sort that out.

Filing the appropriate side of the vee groove would do it, but I would also prefer to add some suitable Brass shims to run parallel with your column to avoid marking the column with those narrow edges.

The first problem is that there is no central hole in the platform and so it cannot be used in place of the platform that came with the drill. . I don't want to remove my normal platform everytime I use the support and so I tend to fix the support immediately on top of my original platform.

The next problem is the roller supports are mounted quite high relative to the platform - see the picture. This effectively unnecessarily raises the working height for the workpiece yet again.

I would suspect that it is intended to fit below your existing Table

Note that as you move the rollers out to their furthest extent then they drop relative to the height that they were when they were close in. This means that you will need a different thickness block of wood to support your workpiece.

Sounds like to much clearance between the tube sizes. Try a wooden wedge between the underside of extended tube and its housing.

If there is not enough clearance for this then I can only assume the main structure is not rigid enough.

Not picking holes in your review rsinden just trying to resolve problems and make the accessory more useful to you.

rsinden":1rrpthla said:
I reckon it's the Sunday afternoon Internet blues as they are (a) all now visible from the original post and (b) the one that gave Forbidden is also viewable.

Go figure!

On my machine they are all now visible in forum window but only after accessing them via another IE window. (I.E.) downloading them to my machines local cache.

If you have similar problems in future try clearing your local cache (delete temporary internet files) from >control panel >internet options to check that you are seeing web ref. and not a local copy.

Red Xs on first post, direct links are forbidden etc.

Noel

Noely":jccy09ie said:
Red Xs on first post, direct links are forbidden etc.
I was going to say "me too" and then, inexplicably, the last pic showed up in the original post. No, wait, three out of four in this reply window. No, one's gone again in the preview...

Aaargh, how I dislike the idiosyncracies of Imagestation. :roll:

Interesting review, rsinden. It does sound like it's more one for the floor standing drill press.

Cheers, Alf

rsinden A good review it does sound like the kit was made for floor standing pillar drills, I often think that the smaller pillar/bench drill are better served with an extended table made from 20mm MDF or the like I suppose Ply would do. I have fitted one to mine and have had no problems with balancing or levelling. At £34 it seems expensive to me for all the problems it causes for a bench mounted drill.

Just my twopenneth worth

Bean

Nor can I. What the balzes is going on here? I just checked the website and the image is there. I re-edited the post but still can't access the image.

oh how i hate computers :cry:

Ah, maybe that's it. Yup. S'working now. server is case sensitive and for some reason I'd uploaded it as JPG and not jpg

Roger,

Well I can now see all of the pictures, does look a bit limiting in use as you say it would be better on a floor standing drill.
I have made a wooden table that I mount on top of the supplied table, only one hand tightened screw the fit so it very quick on mount. Its double skinned with changeable inserts with dust extraction down though the table. Dead useful when using sanding drums. :D

Thanks for posting the review, I have considered getting the sort of thing you have but its just dropped way down the list. :shock:

Bean":3ce17axo said:
Interesting Dave :D wiould you like to share the design features and a piccy or two :?:

Well you may well of seen it before, look at this thread, scroll down near the bottom of the first page. There is also some pictures of one that Neil made. Mine is made from bits left over from other projects. :D

Roger,

Thanks for the kind words, it works for me. :D
It does not give the much wider support that the Axminster kit hints at, which for very long stock is useful when working alone. :?

Back