Axminster daily deal - wetstone sharpening machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
today's daily deal from Axminster is the wetstone sharpening machine, the Tormek lookalike. £40 off normal price. This post has 2 purposes, firstly to let people know about the daily deal, and secondly to ask peoples' opinions because I am thinking of buying one. The Axminster site has very mixed reviews.

K

Please be aware that this type of machine is for re sharpening a edge you allready have ,
Thay are not for re shaping a tool to a different profile

I think you will find with this machine it is the quality of the accessories that will let it down. They will be cheap and poorly made which is reflected in the reviews on the Axminster site. The motor is craft rated which will mean you cannot use it for extended amounts of time unlike the Tormek which you can run all day long. Also a common problem with the Tormek copies and with earlier Tormeks is the shaft rusts making it just about impossible to get the stone off. The Tormeks have been supplied with a stainless steel shaft for some time now.

a common problem with the Tormek copies and with earlier Tormeks is the shaft rusts making it just about impossible to get the stone off. The Tormeks have been supplied with a stainless steel shaft for some time now.

i have the jet branded clone and had this problem. Fortunately an impact driver shifted it easily so now got plenty of grease on it.

overall I’ve been very pleased but if you do any Woodturning the gouge jig was rubbish amd Tormek one is an order of magnitude or two better and worth the money.

Axminster have an horrendous privacy policy they make you agree to before purchase. Then you are forever pestered to review what you've bought, give feedback about Axminster and buy more stuff.
They ignore the GDPR until you tell them directly to delete the data they hold on you.

I no longer go anywhere near Axminster.

Back