Axminster cyclone interceptor head - any experiences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlyxover

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently acquired a 2hp extractor which I like, it has a filter bag which I do not like.

Looking at using a Axminster ACCIH cyclone head with it, dose anyone have/use one? interested in your thoughts of it.
Axminster Craft ACCIH Cyclone Interceptor Head

Was also going to make a filter box using 2/3/4 (not sure how much surface area will be needed) HEPA filters like these
Fellowes True HEPA Filter Large [for 300 Air Purifier] Ref 9370101: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

Thoughts and opinions please

I'm not going to blow smoke up your dress but I'll explain why.

The cyclone is hamstring you because it has a 100mm inlet and outlet. 100mm pipe has a maximum flow no matter what dusty is sucking on it of about 400 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) or if my conversion is correct 780 cubic meters per hour. A 2hp DC should be able to manage at least twice that. A note about claimed DC flow rates. They take the readings with no filters or fittings on the outlet side and only a short straight duct on the inlet. The reading is taken in the middle where the numbers are the highest. In a real world setting with ducting/hose and filters you'll get half of what the brochure claims. So if you want the DC to perform the best you should look for a cyclone with 150mm inlet and outlet. That will flow up to three times as much air as the 100mm one.

I have my doubts about how long the filters you reference will last. Can they handle the airflows you need from your 2hp DC and can they be cleaned or are you going to have to toss them? I suggest getting one or more industrial cartridge filters able to filter 0.5 micron dust. You can either mount them as the imports do on top of the bag ring or in a box with the air flowing from outside to inside like industrial installations do. In the past a couple or three members have gone to this company for filters and have been happy with the ones they bought. Air filters, Equivalent Filter Cartridges, LEV Testing, COSHH Testing, Dust Filters Nottinghamshire, UK If you are mounting the filter to the top of the DC ring tell them so they can make the cartridge with the filter media set up for it. They do have flat types and would be able to advise you about using them.

Pete

thanks for your reply Pete, very informative.

As you mentioned a the 100mm pipe CFM reaches a terminal velocity, would this be as much of a issue when using with a 80mm outlet? (outlet size of my table saw)

Would a thien baffle separator be more effective in your opinion.
Or is no separator and just a filter cartridge be better.

With a table saw you want to pick up above the table as well as below. To do that use a 150mm duct and branch it to have a 100mm to a blade guard (made for 100mm) and the second 100mm to the cabinet, which hopefully you can open up to handle larger. If the saw is a portable that can't be opened up then you really want to have the above table duct, even if just to clear some of the air and keep the flow up in the DC.

Thien baffles have more internal drag than a properly designed cyclone (sometimes over twice as much) but they are easier to make. A Thien with large ducts would be better than the Axminster cyclone with its small. The DC with cartridges only would flow the most air but you will need to clean them frequently. With your 2hp DC you'll want to keep the ducting as short as possible. There is a "Sticky" in an Aussie forum's dust section on modifying a 2hp DC to get more airflow. If you want it message me and I'll give you the link.

I suggest a read of Bill Pentz's site. It is lengthy and a bit of a hard read but it does explain why airflow is important. It also has a spreadsheet that designs the pattern to make your own cyclone if you are inclined.

Pete

I can’t argue with the science above, but isn’t that a bit like saying a 4” hose will water your tomatoes better than a 1/2” one? We all know the half inch would work.
I have the Axminster cyclone setup on a 2hp extractor and it works perfect. It meant I could have the extractor I. The loft and just the cyclone and drop box in the workshop. (Not how it ended up, but that was the plan). I use this setup on all my power tools, be it sanders or saws. There is going to be a hit to the amount of air flow, but not so that it doesn’t work.

so, yes a 150mm setup would be utopia, just not really essential to provide perfectly good extraction.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input sheptonphil.

Im tempted to get one when they are back in stock, either use it with the the 2ph extractor or a smaller yorkleen WV2 I have.
Either way will get getting a cartridge filter for the 2ph extractor and the bag on it it not too good at keeping dust in.

Latest posts

Back