Axminster Customer Service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not quite the point . . . . if they don't have it then it's not available in the sale/clearance and shouldn't be listed . . . with today's database driven stock control/website/e-commerce technology it's not difficult.

It will have been in stock previously - now they are showing you its out of stock, rather than just hiding it and having you try to find it if that's the product your after. That is quite the point of a good ecommerce site.

If it's a [Clearance] Item that has now 'cleared' - or even just a [Sale] item that is no longer at a lower price - it souldn't be listed if it's not available!

I think that "spam" is a bit harsh as that's normally mail from unwanted sources that have harvested your email address . . . BUT I would agree that the Axminster emails are relentless...
No; it is spam. And calling it anything else is self-delusion.
No one would expect to walk down their local high street to be accosted by the butcher announcing a special offer on sausages. Why do people put up with online sellers both being intrusive and wasting precious time?
Axminster have no mechanism to refuse advertising on registration. They give your data without consent to a third party website that compiles feedback ratings.

The feedback I gave was very derogatory about Axminster's Privacy Policy; it never was allowed to go public. So the feedback you see is incomplete and thus without value; it is useless as you have no idea what has been left out.

Hmmm. If I were running a commercial operation I would not allow people to write derogatory comments about my business on the website I own. My experience of Axminster is that while product quality is variable these days, the website is fine. The customer reviews of products are believable and credible. Also for me it is practical to have their catalogue on line and to be aware what is in stock and what can be requested for back order or notification of a back in stock position.

I have bought from Amazon many times, I've opted out of marketing emails and do not get spammed. That is my experience.

I've not really bought that much from Axminster over the years but I've been pleased with the things I've got. I have a few of their own things - a combo square set that's square, some clamps that actually clamp things, and the Parf MkII which is great. I'm not fussed whether stuff is made in England, China, or on the Moon as long as it's good quality. Things seem to be delivered relatively quickly and they're always well packaged.

It seems that most of the comments are about a gradual decline in standards, but is this specific to Axminster? Maybe the standards of their own brand things have. Even Aston Martin aren't what they used to be.

Hmmm. If I were running a commercial operation I would not allow people to write derogatory comments about my business on the website I own. ....

....I have bought from Amazon many times.
Their own website is for them to do as they wish. And we can agree.

But Axminster contract (ie pay for) others to "impartially" solicit and collate feedback. It is public relations. I was contacted by a third party website whose whole raison d'etre is to persuade Joe Public they provide an accurate view of online retailers reputations, Axminster being one of them. Only the reputation score is meaningless because it is partial.

Contacting Axminster to complain about their privacy policy was like having a conversation with a five year old.

Their own website is for them to do as they wish. And we can agree.

But Axminster contract (ie pay for) others to "impartially" solicit and collate feedback. It is public relations. I was contacted by a third party website whose whole raison d'etre is to persuade Joe Public they provide an accurate view of online retailers reputations, Axminster being one of them. Only the reputation score is meaningless because it is partial.

Contacting Axminster to complain about their privacy policy was like having a conversation with a five year old.
Axminster specify in their Privacy Policy who they share data with. Their site explains and brings up an option to restrict the use of cookies and in the account settings you can specify marketing preferences.

Their e-mails all have an opt out from future mailings facility.

I’m not sure what they are doing that is causing offence?

Axminster specify in their Privacy Policy who they share data with.

There was no way, when making a first purchase, to refuse advertising email nor PR materials. That is against the GDPR. You are be able to decline emails from Axminster at a later stage. But that doesn't prevent your data being sold?/sent to third parties beforehand. It is not a legal interpretation of the GDPR. And if they can't get that right what else are they fouling up?

No one would expect to walk down their local high street to be accosted by the butcher announcing a special offer on sausages.
Not a very good analogy.
But it could be likened to the Butcher, after you have bought some sausages, asking if you want some more or, would you like to try the lamb chops.
AFAIK, spam is defined as unsolicited email from some one/company you have no previous dealings with.

If you have dealt with them you are fair game, but should have the option to opt out of any further contact.

There was no way, when making a first purchase, to refuse advertising email nor PR materials. That is against the GDPR. You are be able to decline emails from Axminster at a later stage. But that doesn't prevent your data being sold?/sent to third parties beforehand. It is not a legal interpretation of the GDPR. And if they can't get that right what else are they fouling up?
I don’t know when you experienced this but there is today.

Axminster specify in their Privacy Policy who they share data with. Their site explains and brings up an option to restrict the use of cookies and in the account settings you can specify marketing preferences.

Their e-mails all have an opt out from future mailings facility.

https://www.axminstertools.com/privacy
Sharing your data with third parties for their own purposes

To help personalise your experience on our website we currently use the following companies who in specific scenarios will process your personal data as part of their contract with us:

Emarsys
Doubleclick
Google
Facebook
Pinterest
Twitter
Hotjar
TrustPilot
Global-e
Bazaarvoice

You have the right to object to any of this processing at any time. If you wish to do this, please contact us using the details at the end of this policy.

Does that mean Axminster will send your data (name, address, phone number, items browsed and ordered etc) to Facebook, Google, Twitter etc?!

Axminster should make it opt-in for them to share your data with the above, all of which are not essential for processing your order, not you have to opt-out by contacting them before making your order.

The third part review site is Trustpilot. Axminster will send your email address to Trustpilot, then Trustpilot will send you an email asking for a review.

Another company which also does this and might be of interest here is Heinnie Haynes. They bury it in Terms & Conditions but at least has a bit more details than what Axminster says but still does not say they will send your email address to Trustpilot.

12. Customer service reviews. We make use of the independent review service Trustpilot to offer customers the opportunity to rate our service. Trustpilot may contact customers in the days following a purchase to invite comment on our overall service. Reviews are left entirely at customer's discretion. Customers may opt out of correspondence from Trustpilot by following the link on any email received from Trustpilot.

Some time ago, I was going to order some fountain pen ink from a well known company. I looked at their privacy policy and it said they will send your email address to Trustpilot after your order, then Trustpilot will send you an email asking for a review. I didn't agree and it seemed there wasn't an opt out. I emailed them and they said there's no opt out saying they have to be impartial and send every customer's email address to Trustpilot(BS). They didn't get my order.

https://www.axminstertools.com/privacy

Does that mean Axminster will send your data (name, address, phone number, items browsed and ordered etc) to Facebook, Google, Twitter etc?!

Axminster should make it opt-in for them to share your data with the above, all of which are not essential for processing your order, not you have to opt-out by contacting them before making your order.

The third part review site is Trustpilot. Axminster will send your email address to Trustpilot, then Trustpilot will send you an email asking for a review.

Another company which also does this and might be of interest here is Heinnie Haynes. They bury it in Terms & Conditions but at least has a bit more details than what Axminster says but still does not say they will send your email address to Trustpilot.

Some time ago, I was going to order some fountain pen ink from a well known company. I looked at their privacy policy and it said they will send your email address to Trustpilot after your order, then Trustpilot will send you an email asking for a review. I didn't agree and it seemed there wasn't an opt out. I emailed them and they said there's no opt out saying they have to be impartial and send every customer's email address to Trustpilot(BS). They didn't get my order.

The links you have included explain how they use data and who they may share it with. It’s no different to how most successful e-commerce companies operate and seems to me to be in keeping with the requirements of GDPR.

The bottom line with all this stuff imho is decline the use of cookies and opt out of marketing contact if you don’t like it. If you cannot find how to do this or don’t like the privacy policy of the company shop elsewhere.

And forever after buying from Axminster they will spam your email without mercy. The only way to stop them is to quote the GDPR. B'stards.
Even looking on their site makes them email to u asking if you forgot something. So needy!

Since March last year I have spent a lot more online for obvious reasons.

I have also started to get a lot more real spam + a lot more could you review your purchase.

The two observations must be connected. I no longer leave on line reviews - telephone and email details are clearly not being securely held.

I no longer want to be asked about ficticious car accidents three times a week, invited to engage with yet more lonely attractive Russian women (one would be enough!), take advantage of yet another generous unrepeatable rip-off etc.

The following is feedback I left for Axminster and which Axminster had deleted from a third-party site.

"On-line suppliers just need to do two things. Stock reasonably priced goods in comparison to competitors and supply goods quickly. That is it; no more, no less.

Axminster fall down on the first; sure some stuff is discounted but mostly it is full markup. The goods arrive fairly quickly.

But what then should be the end of a shopping exercise isn't. Axminster persistently email you.

14 days after purchase - do you want us to register your Festool? Well, yes I did 14 days ago but now I've done it myself. Why didn't they do it on the day of sale?

If my tool had been stolen at the start of week 2 I wouldn't have been covered by Festool's insurance. Correspondence with Axminster revealed a total lack of comprehension of the issue. But some say Axminster are really good. Really good? How can that be true? I can't see it. It feels like you are having a conversation with a six year old when the complaints people answer.

Week 3 after purchase a different company, on behalf of Axminster, email asking you for feedback for Axminster!! If you have to ask for feedback then you've sort of failed already - haven't you?

Anyway, I complain about my data being passed to third parties without my permission. "Oh its in our Privacy Policy", they say (third party company that is, telling me about Axminster). Privacy Policy or not that doesn't make it legal according to the GDPR.

There is no way on God's Earth to buy from Axminster without having your data shared. You cannot stop it. You cannot opt out.

But to add to my feelings of injustice, after complaining, yet another company email asking for feedback on how well they handled the complaint!!!

So I contacted Axminster and had them delete all the data they hold about me; the GDPR allows everyone to do this.

That might stop the endless begging letters and mindless correspondence. 'Please give feedback.' 'How did we do?' How could I ever get any work done if all the shops bought stuff from kept pestering me? It is totally unmanageable!

Finally, Axminster are grossly uncompetitive; I've just bought a Lamello Zeta from Germany £100s cheaper than offered by Axminster - go figure.

So all in all Axminster are total rubbish and I'm better off buying stuff elsewhere. You will be too; I don't doubt it."

Simple
Buy what you need
Unsubscribe
Buy what you need
Unsubscribe
A lot of sites now realise that this is what people do and their ultimate goal is to retain custom not drive them away. These companies use an engine that when you Unsubscribe , give options, with one usually how often do you wish to be contacted, weekly, monthly or every other month, or as I do UNSUBSCRIBE.

Works for me.

Do remember, you have options.
If you go into most of the vendors lists on their websites , you can deselect them, albeit singly ( there is no deselect all, there is however an accept all !!)and there are usually hundreds. Once you have finally deselected all third party vendors and only allowing functional cookies, you can save these preferences.
These preferences are held centrally and as long as when you visit any Web page from any company and it asks you to accept all cookies or to Manage preferences. Click on Manage preferences.
When you click the manage preferences, your preferences appear as checked or unchecked and you merely click the save and exit box.
Job done.
Its all to easy to click Accept All.
Do so at your peril.

Well as a very satisfied customer living in France I am surprised at a lot of the comments. Over the years I have ordered things as big as a bandsaw and as small as a router bit and they have been delivered within a week sometimes 3 days including day of order. I have from memory had problems twice and they have been resolved "instantly" over the phone with replacement parts sent FOC.
As for spam I get some but I arrange my emails so that Axminster stuff goes directly into a folder of its own, it is not a problem to review and delete as necessary. I find their web site OK and as for clearance or sales items being deleted as soon as they go out of stock I think that is unreal, the function of those offers is to highlight on a first come first served bases surplus stuff you may be lucky you may not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back