Axminster CT150 Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnjin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
As mentioned in a previous post I said I was going to order some machinery which I have now done. I had said that I was thinking about ordering four machines.
Axminster CT330 Thicknesser
Axminster CT150 Planer
Axminster SBW3501B Bandsaw
Elektra Beckum TF100 Spindle Moulder

In the end I decided not to get the Spindle Moulder for the time being on account of four things. It only has a 160m/m opening for the cutter block The cutter block it fixed with a nut on the top of the block stopping you from passing wood over the top of the block. The spindle doesn’t tilt and there is no provision for mounting router cutters on the spindle. I must confess that I have never used a spindle moulder and so I am naturally wary. I still intend to get a spindle moulder but will leave it a while so that I can suss out exactly what I do want from one.

A couple of the machines were cheaper on Axminster’s website than in their catalog but as I wanted them delivered on a certain day I phoned them anyway. They suggested that I use their overnight delivery option for an extra 6 pounds even though this was three weeks before I wanted them delivered. They took the order over the phone there and then but gave me the Internet price with just the six pounds delivery fee.
10 am on April the 2nd I returned home from the land of bombs and bullets (Israel) hoping that I had beaten the delivery man as there was no one at home to receive them but Axminster had assured me that if I left a note they would leave them anyway. I didn’t want them at an earlier date as my wife would not have been able to cope with the weight. April 2nd was a Friday and I didn’t want to have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for them when I only have a couple of weeks to play with them anyway. Anyway they turned up about 1pm delivered by I believe ANC so that was OK and the panic was over.
The Thicknesser was complete in a box on it own although there was an extra box as I had ordered the stand to go with it. The planer was in two boxes and the bandsaw as well. At least this cut down the weight a bit as these are quite heavy items. Now it was a case of pick a box and get stuck in. I decided to start with the Planer and dug out the manual straight away. Well what do you expect I had had too much luck already for one day so it goes without saying that the manual was the wrong one. Well I suppose that was the best of it really cos there was parts in the box that shouldn’t have been there and parts that should have been there that wasn’t. To tell the truth it wasn’t too bad I just had to join the top to the bottom put the belt on, the belt guard on, handles on the front, and the fence. Wow the fence, is what I call a fence. A solid piece of cast iron and very heavy. Just let me assure you that there is not and never will be any flex in this fence. The blades were in place in the block which was a little bit of a surprise and they were set parallel. The bad bit is that the blade guard was missing. Well I could sort that out later as at least it will still work without the guard. Switched on and ran a piece of 4*2 pine over it and the finish was delicious. OK so it was less than a m/m cut at a time but it really cut sweetly. Push it up against the fence and slide it through again, Put an engineer’s square up to it and that is what I call square. A couple of days later I tried some Beech with the same results so I don’t think I should be moaning. I’ve just got round to phoning Axminster about the cutter guard (three weeks later ) and they could not have been more helpful. They said they would put one in the post to me straight away
So all in all I am a very pleased man.
The planer works sweetly and does it as well as I could expect.
Axminster’s service was first class
Hope I didn’t bore anyone too much.
The Thicknesser and Bandsaw report to Follow

John

Hi John

thanks for the run-down on the planer. I have been thinking of this machine myself when the funds allow.

I have the ct330 thicknesser and I'm pleased with it. The motor is noisy but it does the job.

Good luck with the Band Saw :)

Hey John, this is all music to my hears as I too want to buy the CT150 when funds allow me. I wish it was now :D
Thanks for the review and happy planing.

Hi Bilzee & CYC
Thanks for taking an interest.
A little bit more information that you might be pleased with if you are thinking of buying this planer. The noise level, is very quite. In reality it is just a hum. OK so I have been listening to the sweet music of heavy machinery for over forty years and maybe I am not the best person to judge on noise levels but even my wife commented on how quiet it was. Mind you this all changes when it is actually cutting something but that is to be expected and will apply to any machine as the noise is the cutter cutting rather than the motor whining. I bought Liberon Lubricating Wax to use on the table and the result is unbelievable. How have I missed this for so many years. A heavy piece of wood say 4x4 x8 foot long, when placed on the table will glide when given a little push with your finger as if it had wheels under it. There is no plastic worth mentioning on this machine and the whole thing is screaming of solid build. The correct Manual that was missing, had I realised it, easily downloadable from the Axminster website so if you want to have a little knowledge of this product download it first. The missing Blade guard was delivered Yesterday (Monday) after being ordered Friday evening so once again full marks to Axminster customer service department.
All the best

John

Hi John,

The CT150 is on my wish-list too, so I was glad to read your positive comments - particularly about build quality. Also thanks for the heads-up about the manual being available for download - it wasn't the last time I looked so it must have been put on in the last couple of weeks.

NeilCFD

Hey John,
Glad you are pleased with the Jet planer. It really is a gem isn't it! :D I was lucky to get the 54A with the 1700mm beds (pretty much the same machine as yours) and it really is an eye opener. Cast iron machines of this standard really are on a different planet compared to the aly/plastic/tin playthings for sale in most tool shops.
All I need now is that Unisaw to finish off my shop! :lol:
Keep up the good work,
Philly

Cool John, I must remember this Liberon Lubricating Wax when I get this machine. I hope I'll get it before the end of the year :?

HI All,

Has anyone tried the CT150DL? If so is it worth the extra money?

Also can you alter both the in feed and out feed tables? The reason i ask is Rutlands sell a Jet model (Axminster sister company) that looks exactly the same as this and you can alter both tables on that one, but Axminster makes no mention of this on their website.

John what do you think of the motor in the 150, does it cope with anything you throw at it?
The reason i ask is i cannot believe that you can get a cast iron model for this price, so it is only human to think that they have got to cut corners somewhere.
Saying that everything i have ever bought from Axminster has always been first class.

The thing that attracts me to these machines is the cast iron fence. They are in a different class to alloy.

All the best with your new machines.

Mike.C

Hi Mike
Yes both tables are adjustable but I recommend downloading the manual from Axminster as it will answer many questions for you.
As far as the motor power is concerned I haven't tried 3 m/m cuts on it as I prefer to take several cuts rather than one as it is a lot healthier for the blade. The motor hasn't seemed to struggle at all and I can only imagine that it is as solid as the rest of this machine.
All the best

John

Mike,

If you're interested in the C150DL aka Jet 54A have a look at the US version (Powermatic 54A) and download the manual here:
http://www.powermatic.com/PMWood/Manual ... 46-54A.pdf
The UK Jet manual (and no doubt the Axminster as well) is just about adequate at 12 pages. The US version (identical apart from the kidney style guard) is 32 pages long and much more informatative.
With regard to depth of cut half a mil or so does me.
As Jet and Axminster prices are "controlled" maybe best to use your local Jet dealer, alot handier if any aftersales issues arise.
Lastly have seen the Jet 54A being used at it's full cutting depth (8 mm) and the machine just hummed through it.
Let us know what you end up buying.

Rgds

Noel

Sorry, Bit slow catching this thread.
Yes, I have the 150 DL or Jet54a, and the extra length of the tables is a real blessing. Both tables are adjustable, handy for when doing blade changes and getting rid of the dreaded snipe.
The motor is very powerful, easily handling anything I have thrown at it.
Check out my review on Sawdustalley.
http://sawdustalley.co.uk/tools/reviews.php?id=17
cheers,
Philly :D

Hi All,

Noely Thanks, i see what you mean the Powermatic manual is in a different league, but isn't it always the same, most things are bigger and better in the US.

Philly it looks and sounds like an excellent machine and because of your review SWMBO is going to be taken out for dinner tomorrow, a little sweetener you understand.

Cheers

Mike.C

Hi,

Me again. I was talking to someone about the 150DL and they told me that it has got a brush motor and not a induction, surely this is wrong, isn't it?

I have looked on the Axminster website and various others that sell the Jet 54A, but none of them mention what sort of motor they have. Rutlands does state that the bigger Jet 60A has an induction but nothing about the 54A.

I suspect that this is untrue because except for the size of the tables the 54A and 60A (or CT150DL AND CT200DL) are virtually the same machine, but then again the 200DL is £400 more so it may be right.

Somebody put me out of my misery because i want to order one in the morning.

John did Axminster charge you £30 delivery because the planer is classed as heavy weight?
Rulands only charge £14.95 (don't they philly?) I know it is only £15 difference but a litre of Liberon Lubricating wax is £11 so its like getting this for nothing.
How long did both of you have to wait for delivery?

Cheers

Mike.C

Hi Mike
There was no delivery charge at all from Axminister which surprised me as I was ordering three machines and the Band Saw was 95 Kilo on its own. But they told me that if the machine was less than 100 kilo then delivery was free. I did opt to pay for Overnight Delivery which was 6 pounds but this was only to ensure that It came on the day that I wanted.
I hope this helps and the best of luck with your new toy, err sorry, tool.

John

Mike,

Get yourself over to Highland Industrial Supplies Ltd
36 Seafield Road, Longman Ind Est., INVERNESS, Scotland. IV1 1SG
01463 239160
01463 233424
[email protected]
www.hisltd.co.uk

The Jet 54A has an 1HP induction motor. The 60A is rated at 1.5HP.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel,

Thanks but by the time i read your message i had already ordered it.

John i went for the CT150DL (1700mm bed) from Axminster and it will be here next week. You were right if the item is under 100 kilo's the delivery is free but as this is 130 kilo's i had to pay. I couldn't even get next day delivery because i am in the north of Scotland. apparently with a heavy weight item they wait until they have a number of items so they can plan a route.
I also got a litre of Liberon Lubricating Wax to keep it in good nick.

As the delivery was cheaper at Rutlands i did try them but they have sold out of the 54A and they say that Jet have no idea when they will have anymore.

Anyway i let you know when the toy arrives and i have had a little play with it.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Glad you got it sorted. Ask Axminster to send you a little touch up tin of paint. When you get the jointer you'll see that the painted parts of the fence and bed have only had a cursory swipe with the spray gun and chip very easily. Otherwise it's a magnificent machine. Oh, and as Philly has mentioned, watch your back when mounting the beds and fence on the cabinet. Bit on the heavy side.....

Rgds

Noel

PS Lastly, I've noticed that most of the cabinets have an uneven weld on the base and as a consequence tend to rock slightly, nothing that a wedge or a piece of laminate won't cure.

Hi Mike
Glad you finally got it ordered and it was a very good move about the lubricating wax as it will make a hell of a difference. Also the extra length tables should be very nice. I don't think the weight should be a problem after all the caber tossing they do up your way :D but all the same I guess you will need some help to lift the table up to put it on the stand. At least by ordering from Axminister they won't debit your card until they send your order, unlike Rutlands who charge you immediately. Anyway I wish you luck and have fun and be sure to let us know how it all goes.

All the best

John

Mike,

Congrats on the new toy. :D

Axminster's delivery is worth every penny in my experience; wheeled right to the spot. Not sure I'd deal with Rutlands again for a saving of 50 quid, never mind 15, especially for large machinery. :?

Cheers, Alf

Back