Axminster CT150 planer - no volt switch problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust Busker

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody can help with this problem?

I have a used Axi CT150 planer which kept shorting the mains when switched on. Eventually I bought a new switch from Axi (I suspected the old one because it was noisy) and found that the old switch had been wired with the mains coming in to the "off" side of the switch and the CT150 motor to the "on" side. This somehow seems wrong to me. The new switch doesn't come with a wiring diagram (shame on you Axi) and there is no information about this in the handbook.

All my other no volt switches on other machines seem to have the mains feed into the "on" switch.

Does anybody have a CT150 (the older model with the bigger metal switch) who could shed some light?

Jim

Try it out. If you get it wrong the machine will start immediately you plug it in; get it right and it will work.

If you have an ohm meter, you can see which terminals have the coil connected. This pair go to the load.

There is normally a diagram embossed into the switch somewhere maybe yours does not have this?

hth

Bob

Is your switch like the one you can just about see in my photo?

6993852949_763b8e8fa8_z.jpg

I bought this one second-hand a few weeks ago. It's a 2005 model.

I have found that sometimes, when I press the green switch, the motor starts but then cuts out again immediately (brake still works). Sometimes, I have to push it in fully. But, this is also a problem I've noticed before, with an identical switch on an old Wadkin machine. I've not had it cut out whilst running but then, I haven't yet used it for an extensive period of time.

You might also want to see this link. No affiliation, it simply came up on Google.

What do you mean when you say the switch was 'noisy'?

Hi Olly

Thanks for your reply. My switch looks the same as yours from the picture, but the on button is black, not green, so perhaps it's not the same after all.

The old switch made a slight hum when the power was turned on (without switching on the motor). The old switch would sort of "bounce" when the "on" switch was pressed, then blow the mains trip fuse.

How is your switch wired? Does the mains lead go in at the "off" or the "on" end of the switch?

Jim

Hi Bob

Thanks for this. The terminals on the "on side of the switch aren't connected to anything until the switch is thrown. I'm pretty sure that the terminals on the "off" side of the switch are connected to the coil.

If when you say the "load" you mean the planer's motor, then it's as I suspect and the switch was previously wired the wrong way round.

Jim

Did you ever resolve this? Having the exact same issue on my Axminster CT150 6inch jointer.
Hi Olly

Thanks for your reply. My switch looks the same as yours from the picture, but the on button is black, not green, so perhaps it's not the same after all.

The old switch made a slight hum when the power was turned on (without switching on the motor). The old switch would sort of "bounce" when the "on" switch was pressed, then blow the mains trip fuse.

How is your switch wired? Does the mains lead go in at the "off" or the "on" end of the switch?

Jim

Back