Axminster CT-344 portable thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicfirth

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried my new thicknesser today :D

I planed some pine boards down to 6mm and I'm really pleased with the result.

It is so easy to use, and I can't see how the results could be improved upon. I suppose when I try planing hardwoods it will be more of a test, though.

As a novice and someone that has never used a thicknesser before, I give it a big thumbs up, for ease of use and quality of finish.

I'm looking forward to being able to buy some ot the lovely rough sawn wood that the local timber yard sell, without having to pay through the nose for them to plane it and they have a 4 week waiting list to do it :evil:

Regards
Nic

I agree, it's a great machine to use, easy to setup and reliable in use. You can't go far wrong compared to some of the cheaper options on the market.

Chaz.

I've just got hold of one second-hand. It needs a little loving care to get it back up to scratch, and I haven't tried it yet (although I've seen it working of course). Any tips or hints? I'm building a new workshop at the moment and won't be able to get my hands on it for a few weeks. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Steve

The Axminster CT330, an upgraded CT344 is currently on sale at Axminster for £302.65 (Usual price £378.35)...! Which makes it cheaper than it's smaller cousin the CT330 (£349.56) by £46.91, which seems to be a great bargain.

Anyone own the larger model?

On Sep 14, I explained that I had a 2nd hand thicknesser (looks just like an Axminister CT344 but doesn't say CT344 anywhere) and that I hadn't had a chance to use it yet due to a workshop build. Well it's built (more or less) and the first job was to plane up some sawn beech for my new bench, and I have to say the machine performed perfectly. Nic was anticipating putting hardwood through - so this is just a quick note to say don't worry about it! It's a cinch, and the results are excellent. I found that repeated small cuts give fantastic results, rather than trying to take of 2mm at a time. That works, but the machine has to work harder and it's altogether noisier.
Half to 1mm at a time and the tool just cruises, plus you have excellent control on the resulting dimensions.
I've also run some chunky 8ft 6x3 sawn pine through (£3 a piece) and it ended up true, straight and smooth as a baby's bum - same wood from same yard PSE - £8.50 a length.
Why Oh why didn't I get one of these before!
I would have saved a fortune by now PLUS you get free bedding for the rabbit!

I'm delighted with this old 2nd hand machine - Lord only knows what the new ones are like. Highly - but HIGHLY recommended, folks!

Steve

Yep, bought the ct330 the other day. Have planed a few sawn boards ( soft)which had a bit of twist and cupping. I used my cheapo jointer to get a flat side then the Axminster. Very nice finsh.

ONe thing, I have to sort out some serious dust extraction as the thicnesser ships enough shavings to deck out a chicken house and then some. :)

i've got one very similar that i've had for 4/5 years which came from the woodcut trading co.

its worked really well.

but you need to remember that these machines are made to a price.
i was using it recently and one of the feed rollers got jammed and broke the chain and the belt.
the cause was that the rollers don't run in bearings but in bronze(i think?) bushes and there was no lubrication and it seized.

easy enough to fix but worth doing before it happens.

i got a new belt at 4:30pm on a saturday afternoon at issac lord ( same belt fits a makita planer) but had to wait a few days for a split link (75p)from a bearing supplier.

and it runs like new again.
noisy though. (brush motor)

aleks

Latest posts

Back