Axminster Craft vs Trade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically I think the 100 hours figure just gives you an idea of build quality and longevity. They also used to state - few, if any, periods of continuous use. Charnwood used to say the same about their hobby kit. Only the buyer can decide whether the extra cost of trade kit is worthwhile. Perhaps for a pillar drill for example, 100 hours would be fine, whereas a lathe would be used much more often, with continuous use. Finally, my hobby pillar drill from Axminster does have some small run out, so perhaps it's not just build quality affecting longevity but also accuracy.

I recently got a 155ce trade cyclone. is very good re suction. but noisy and needs 16a. also the bin is a bit small and a pain to empty. also when the bin is full the waste clogs the cyclone and proceed to fill the fines bag. not a perfect solution for moi.

Just reflecting on this in the context of other machines we buy. Almost all come with a warranty which reflects broadly applicable UK consumer law.

Applies to TVs, washing machines, dishwashers, freezers, cameras, cars etc etc. Often one year warranty although cars are far more expensive come with 3+ years.

All come with appropriate use conditions - eg: no rallying, wash load limit, non-commercial use, service and maintenance compliance etc. Few conditions are specific bar cars (60k miles, 3 years etc). Compliance with terms cannot easily be validated in the event of a claim.

Why should we expect any different of workshop equipment which for home use mostly mirrors the price and complexity etc of other consumer based machines - £200-2000.

For machines in the £10-25k range, the requirements probably more closely mirror cars (fixed maintenance schedue, routine replacement of wear components, evidence based etc). Not normally found in a home/hobby workshop!

Personally I’ve always thought of it as a get out for producing expensive carp others will say it’s them being honest about their products & giving you the information you need to guide your choice,
Well if it is only good enough for a few hours a week then they are either being very honest in telling you that it is really almost not fit for purpose or the quality varies so much that some will be much better than others so they need a get out.

Hmm.

I recently ordered the iTech Dust extractor DC001S(2HP) which is basically a bag filter type extractor but I am substituting the bag filter for a fine cartridge filter.
The basic unit is similar to the SIP 01954 (3HP) and will be used primarily for a new 10inch Cabinet/Table saw.

I had already placed the order for the iTech 2HP unit before I noticed that the SIP version is a 3HP unit.
I aim change the item before it gets despatched.

I currently have two LVHP extractors that I use for a Sanding station, Router, Mitre saw, Rail saw, 200mm Planer/Thicknesser, and a Contractor Table saw (of course not simultaneously).

I have in mind to at some point try out the Axminster AC118CI Cyclone Interceptor which basically just adds a cyclone stage to the unit.
My workshop is very small at approximately 12 square meters.
Yes, not much space, but it is what I have for now and I am making the most of it. Hence the extraction units will be housed in a space outside of the workshop.

Smurof

Back