Axminster craft table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m considering taking the plunge and buying a table saw.

I mainly will use it for hobby work outside work hours. Has anyone had good experiences with the AC254TS/AW254TS.

I’m limited to 240v 13A in the garage and want to keep noise down.

Attachments

• AE69A5F4-86DA-46EF-8F9A-BB1BDDA880BE.jpeg
    AE69A5F4-86DA-46EF-8F9A-BB1BDDA880BE.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
I have one and I think it is OK.

Adjusting the riving knife is a pain and it needs doing every time it is replaced - the adjustment screws are hard to get at.
The in table dust collection has suddenly stopped for some reason. I presume there must be a blockage but I just use a Henry hoover for extraction.
The up an down adjuster is a bit stiff and "lumpy" but as long as you remember to undo the lock works OK

I mainly cut hardwoods with it including thick pieces but do it in ~20mm steps
It is relatively quite; probably the only tool I could use without ear protection

I would say it is good value for the money.

I got hold of a used Startrite saw, and renovated it, for about the same all-in price as a new Axminster like the one you're looking at, and of similar capacity. That way I got proper British engineering and quality control. No contest.

I got hold of a used Startrite saw, and renovated it, for about the same all-in price as a new Axminster like the one you're looking at, and of similar capacity. That way I got proper British engineering and quality control. No contest.
I see this kind of response a lot. And I totally get it. I’d much prefer to buy old and British for the quality. But did you refurb it yourself? How would one do that without any instructions or prior knowledge of these machines - makes it very daunting. I’d be afraid of buying a machine I couldn’t fix. Hence the appeal of new machines.

Are there resources I should know about with respect to fixing these old machines? Or companies that do the refurb for a fee?

Cheers

Nic

Its pretty expensive for what it is and Axminster has increased its price by quite a lot.
I've an earlier version which cost £450,and its now £900 for the basic saw, without sliding table or side extensions, and its pretty much identical, except a different configuration for the sliding table.
I'm not saying it isnt an okish saw, but seems rather expensive these days.
I would keep your eyes on Ebay for one, or look at something else of similar price, where maybe you get a sliding table/etc for the same or less

Last edited:
Yes there are people (including some on this site!) / companies that restore machinery.

Here's a couple -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/targetmanufacturingltd?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563https://www.machinery22.co.uk/refurbished-machinery
A sawbench is both sophisticated and simple - but you can generally see how they're built by looking with an enquiring mind, and a bit of dismantling.
Thanks for the links.

I guess I’m pretty capable of doing stuff but I’ve been bitten before when buying an old beetle - refurbing stuff that has been “fixed” by previous owners if you have no frame of reference to how it should be properly is a bit of a nightmare.

I brought my saw on ebay with the base and sliding attachment for £600 when the saw on it's own was £600 new.

You have to decide if you want something to use next week or happy to wait a few months after renovating one. The problem is you never know what you might find. A cracked casting, a missing part or a worn out bush. If you have the equipment and skill to overcome the problems all well and good otherwise it could be a long drawn out process.

It's like they say some people enjoy the journey and other just like the destination

I fancied a more expensive saw but had to draw the line somewhere.

I’ve decided to go with the craft saw! Glad I went with the 254mm edition. Thanks everyone for your input!

Back