Axminster craft blade clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sru

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if I really wanted to use one so went for an Axminster craft scroll saw.

Omg, the blade clamp is driving me mad. I replaced the bolt with a wing nut to make it easier but the blade still keeps slipping out nearly every cut no matter how tight it is screwed.

My only solution had been to glue some sandpaper in the gap. Is there really no better option?

Yeah, I know, buy a better saw but would really like to get to grips with scroll saws before investing 3-4 times as much

Thanks

Mike

Not sure exactly which Axi Craft Scroll Saw you've got (there are - or used to be) several models. If you're having that problem it may well be one of their "cheaper" models. Instead of/together with your sandpaper mod, I suggest the following:

Q1. With the blade clamp open (wingnut not tight) is the gap between the 2 sides of the clamp parallel, or do the 2 sides diverge or converge? If yes to the last, TRY (it won't be easy) to make the 2 sides parallel - even a bit helps;

Q2. Are the blades you're using a bit oily? If yes it's worth while just rubbing both ends of the blade with (at least) a dry clean cloth, but better, a cloth dampened with a de-greaser like lighter fuel (petrol), acetone, etc;

Q3. Re Q2, if yes, it's also worthwhile giving both sides of both blade ends a quick rub with sandpaper (not too coarse) before use;

Q4. Could you be OVER-tightening the blade clamp (with your new wing nut)? That can sometimes cause these blade clamps to open up a bit (i.e. go non-parallel as you tighten up).

If all 4 above don't help, does Axi offer an improved, perhaps quick release blade clamp to suit your machine (you'll probably have to ask Axi Customer Services, bit I've found them very helpful in the past)?

HTH

Not knowing which saw you have but if it's the Hegner clone then Hegner clamps come in different sizes for various blade thicknesses, 0.5mm, 0.7mm and 1mm you could try them.

Could you glue a shim in to the clamp? Coke can, or similar.

I am guessing its this beastie

It does not have the hanger type blade clamps which is a bonus

Make sure the inside of the blade clamps are clean of paint for starters

And each blade you use, scrub the last half inch or so across the blade both sides with sandpaper to remove the factory finish

Those two may resolve your immediate problem
Clip328.jpg

Its the same saw sold by many retailers with minor differences

It will do you well and is perfectly capable of achieving great results

Practice is the key, the more you do the better you get at doing it much like anything in life

Enjoy yourself

Thank you all, great suggestions. Once again, a good community :)

Sadly, yes,, it is their cheap model.

I replaced the bolt with a wing nut to make it easier but the blade still keeps slipping out nearly every cut no matter how tight it is screwed.

Just checking... You are talking about blade tension (knob at the back) and not just the wing nut?

Just checking... You are talking about blade tension (knob at the back) and not just the wing nut?

Yes, a wing bolt would be more accurate. Spent a good few hours yesterday with the clamp and a thin bit of cloth sandpaper in the slot. Did not slip out once - I do like the idea of freeing the side of the clamp though - interesting thought.

Its the same saw sold by many retailers with minor differences

It will do you well and is perfectly capable of achieving great results

Practice is the key, the more you do the better you get at doing it much like anything in life

Enjoy yourself

Thank you - yes, experiencing the joys of sneezing while cutting (large unwanted cut!) and the very real differences between blades. Trying to make a shadow art deco box at present for the wife's birthday (despite cat's best attempts to stop me). Experimented with loads of blades to get a feel and found just the right one.

Very satisfying when it all goes right - choice words when you get it wrong :) Will need many years to get close to the work I see here but every journey starts with a the first step.

Mike

@Sru: As you've already found out, it's very much worth while to experiment with different blades (numbers and makes). But at risk of teaching granny to suck eggs - and NOT suggesting you're as daft as I am! - once you've found the blade you like for a particular job/wood type/thickness, it's worth while A) noting that down in a little notebook somewhere, and B) marking the blades in your stock so that you know which is which/can choose the same one again for the same/similar job.

Re dust up your nose - although mine is quite noisy, it's worthwhile connecting a vac up to the dust port of the machine (I bought a cheapo ash vac from "LaLdi" (which it's why it's noisy). If the hose doesn't fit the machine port it's easy to find a bit of scrap wood and with a hole saw (or similar) to make a hose/connector adaptor to suit.

Also, re dust, and to improve your accuracy in cutting, I found it worth while experimenting with different angles (far end of machine table stuck up in the air a bit). Fiddling around like that until you've found something that suits you personally (e.g. I always sit at my machine, in an old typist's chair - it swivels but has no arms) is a good idea. Do that for a bit until you've found your own ideal, only then bolt the machine down permanently.

HTH, Happy New Year.

Back