Axminster Craft AC250PT Planer Thicknesser review - YouTube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomosap

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Published a review on my YouTube channel for the above planer thicknesser. Apologies in advance if I'm not able to address every facet of the machine, but as stated in the video, if you have any questions, I'm happy to try and answer them as best I can either here or in the comments on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hdKVNfVIY

Enjoy!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I’m just doing the research on a PT for around 1k.

Have watched your unboxing and set-up vids. What took you to the AC250 rather than say the RP PT260 or RP PT107 or Metabo ?

I’ve not found other reviews for the AC250PT other than yours.

Cheers

Hi NigelParry,

Hope you found the videos useful...

The main thing for me as mentioned in the review were the cast iron tables. The Metabo and RP models have aluminium tables (ribbed admittedly for strength) whereas you're never going to get more solid than cast iron.

Also, the AC250PT has three knives whereas the other two you mention only have 2, so the quality of the cut is better as a result. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking either as a lot of people are happy with them, but that was my rationale.

I paid a lot less for the AC250PT than the RP model costs after a sale and ebay voucher, so price-wise it was more than competitive.

One advantage I can see to getting the Metabo or RP is portability, and they do take up less space I'll admit - I'm still in the process of looking for a mobile base for mine as dragging it along the floor is a little cumbersome! :)

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom, think I’m with you on the cast iron point and also the need for the mobility base.

Now I just need to find the deals you mentioned ...

Thanks again for the great video!

Hi Tom,

I've got the same planer/thicknesser , and initially made my own base. It was OK, but made the planer bed a bit high for my liking. I bought the axminster medium mobile base (https://www.axminstertools.com/axminste ... ase-104617 )- and it's OK, but not brilliant. It does the job, but only 2 of the casters turn, so sometimes its a bit of a struggle to move it in limited space i have (2/3rds of a single car garage). If you have more space - it might suit you.

Thanks fezman, the workshop isn’t massive so manouvering space is limited.

I did think about just sticking some castors to the bottom of the plywood it came on but I’m concerned that the castors won’t provide enough resistance when pushing wood over the planer bed.

Cheers,
Tom

You can use a pair of locking castors and it should be fine. My P/T is on a mobile base that I bought from an Amazon vendor. It has two swivel castors and two fixed castors. The swivel castors have a screw-down shaft that makes contact with the floor to reduce the likelihood of moving, but it can still be moved with a fair bit of force.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BP7QG0K/

I don't even bother with it while I'm planing wood, since tables are perpendicular to the direction of the fixed castors. The amount of force across the outfeed table doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the friction of the swivel castors.

That’s a fair point, I’d put it on 100mm castors which have some decent brakes. Worst that’ll happen is I’ll have to remove them and buy a base so no harm done I suppose.

Cheers,
Tom

Latest posts

Back