Axminster Craft AC118CE Cyclone Dust Extractor. Any1 got 1 ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This one -
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-ac118ce-cyclone-dust-extractor-105845
I just happened in to ax to have a look at dust extractors as im really needing something better suited to larger machines, and was looking at a trade affair,the AT155CE,costing about £1300. It is a home workshop, but most extractors seem to be the double bag affairs usually about the £350 mark with the option of an extra 3-400 for a fine filter.
Used the double bag and to be honest as reasonable as they are they fair kick out a load of very fine dust off the upper bag/filter when you first switch them on and im trying to avoid dust these days, especially as its a small workshop, so thought the AT155 though priced a bit more would probably be the better option.
Needless to say they've discontinued that one in favour of the AT154CEH, @£1650, which is maybe as bit big and a bit more than I'd happily spend.
So I though I'd take a look at the craft range and saw the AC118CE, which I hadnt seen before(must have missed it) Looks exactly what I need, not hugely powerful, but certainly more than enough for my shop, and not too great of a footprint, so i can tuck it into one corner. PLUS its £650 which I think is actually pretty remarkable for such a system.
Better than the double bag affairs which list at 30 microns without the more expensive fine filter, the AC118 however lists at 1 micron. Certainly a huge difference.

So does anyone have one of them ?. If so how are you getting on with it ?.

Actually Pete, i dont really think thats a problem, bags are standard for many extractors, right up to big £3K professional models. A hole is what duct tape is for. But having used enough, cant say ive ever made a hole in one.

The Jet one, frame at least and others identical - AU Sherwood 2hp cyclone2 stage isnt that dissimilar.to the Ax craft one. the frame is identical, the same rating on the motor power, same outlet options Slightly greater M/ph, but not a lot, only about 200m/hr, and the drum in place of a bag. The jet is 2 micron, and the Ax 1micron.

For what Im using it for the craft one appears more than adequate, and has a 3 year guarantee. 2nd hand, even in top condition theres no guarantee. All in all I'd say between a jet and a craft theres not enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost, even new. For me at least I'lll stress that.

I actually wonder, the jet being older if theres really difference performance wise, and the Ax is just effectively the same model with a drum instead of a bag :unsure:

The two cyclones are basically the same if the motor sizes and the impellers are the same. The gent with the used one says he used 6" duct and as long as the collector has that size inlet it will move more air than the 5" one you are considering. Micron level of the filters are important but can be meaningless if the efficiency rating isn't included. Also all paddle type cleaners will wear holes in the filters and none of them tell you how long that will take.
If you have a plain DC with a good filter but no cyclone it will move more air with the same motor and impeller as the cyclone. The cyclone will always have internal drag, some more than others, so you are trading off the convenience of easier sawdust and chip collection/removal verses the better suction of the bagger. That type of short cone cyclone can use 4" of water column or more of the suction compared to the taller cyclones like the Bill Pentz designs that uses 2" of water column to operate. The only thing going for the short cone cyclone is they fit in shorter rooms.

Pete

I have one of these and has proved a great bit of kit, use it with 100mm pipework connected to 5 machines. Had it about 18 months and still using original bags. Longest run is about 6m and works well.

Thanks for the input Pete, always nice to get better perspective. :cool: I would think though the jet one would be more trade rated than the Ax craft, though Jet always appears to be more expensive than they need to be.

Seems very cheap. Think I once read that the recommended use of Axminster hobby/craft range was 100 hrs per year, that's only 2 hrs per week?

I always think it's worth getting a good extractor as it's often the thing that gets the most use. You might use a table saw for 15 mins then next the PT for 30 mins etc but whichever machine you are using the extractor is always running.

Yeah I've got this unit. I quite like it. I've just modified it to better resolve the dust collection under the cyclone. I didn't like the bag. I'll upload some pics. Any specific questions, please ask away here or DM.

Attachments

• 20210415_200458 (1).jpg
    20210415_200458 (1).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210515_105814.jpg
    20210515_105814.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210515_141409.jpg
    20210515_141409.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
Back