Axminster Compressor advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
Grateful for any opinions on this compressor:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=EXT3502 I intend to take the plunge into spray finishing at last, and rather than a dedicated HVLP turbine system, a compressor will allow me to use other air tools in due course.

Intent will be to mate it to something like one of the Sata RP guns for spraying.

So, anyone recommend or hate it? Oh, and would I need any sort of inline moisture remover or anything else other than the gun and the compressor? Intended use is non-trade but high quality finishing of wood projects. TIA for any advice/comments

Shady,
Welcome to the forum.

I have what I think is exactly the same machine but badged as an SIP unit. It gets used for lots in my workshop, including spraying with the Sata RP digital and the little HVLP touch up gun. I find it works fine for both (the full-size RP having the greater air demand). I spray quite large furniture with all kinds of finishes and find the compressor does fine. It will not run very heavy consumers of air like sanders, very effectively, they need at least 14cfm and preferably more.

I have a moisture trap but it never seems to collect anything. The cylinder does collect water and needs draining from time to time. This is not easy - at least on mine- because the drain tap is hard to get at and when you have it in your fingers, is hard to grip. I use pliers on mine and this rather messes up the tap - have had to replace it once.

You will need a small collection of quick couplings to connect the gun, hoses etc., PTFE tape and filters for your finish - don't spray without filtering it through a suitable painter's mesh filter - it spoils your day if the gun blocks halfway through a job.

Don't waste time with the sort of hose that looks like a spring - get a decent quality 8mm hose - much easier to spray without a constant tug from the hose.

Much the same as Chris has already said...I've a SIP 2 HP oil free (louder than oiled type) and the drain plug is real PIA. Mole grips do tend to mess it up. And yes, the curly wurly hose is total waste of time. A nice Goodyear type hose is a big improvement and also acts as an additional reservoir. Spray wise I just use the El Cheapo Draper / SIP combo pack and that suits my needs.
But the compressor mostly gets used for brad and 23mm nail guns and of course the kids bikes etc.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Shady,

Grateful for any opinions on this compressor:

Been there, bought one and... it's doing a good job. I found 9cfm is plenty enough air for a medium size nozzle (say 1.4mm) to allow uninterrupted spraying.

The compressor runs at 2850rpm rather than 1425rpm on most 3hp belt drive compressors so it is noiser than belt driven ones. I'd give it a 'trade' rating - definetitely not 'industrial' strength, but netherless for the money, a good buy for any one as long as they're not intending to run it continously on a high duty cycle, as might be the case in an industrial/garage workshop.

You should use an in-line moisture separator. Oil isn't a problem as its an oil-free compressor.

regards

Ike

Thanks folks, helpful and informative replies. Ike - thanks on the 'trade' rather than 'industrial' point. That suits my requirements perfectly: I won't be using it 24/7, but I like the more competent kit that tends to be associated with 'trade' as opposed to 'hobby' - which seems to largely equate to 'cheap rubbish to part punters with their cash', from what I can see.

I find it surprising just how much pressure 'normal' tools use (eg sanders). Still, it looks like it'll do my needs for most things. Now I just have to identify the appropriate accessories etc.

Any observations on the best price/performance deals on an HVLP/RP gun that will not over tax the compressor? I was looking at the Sata 'KLC RP', with a requirement of 7.1 cfm and a price of £136 online from the 'bodyshopwarehouse'

Shady,

It is a while since I bought my gun but I got a good deal from a place in Camberwell - sorry don't remember the name - in any event they threw in the small HVLP gun when I bought the RP and it may be worth phoning around to see what people can offer. The KLC RP seems to be a somewhat cheaper version and I can't speak for it - looking at the spec on the Sata site, it appears more suited to fairly thick finishes.

I suggest you ask in the Sata forum http://www.sata.com/forum/forum.jsp?forum=83705 I got good replies from here when I bought my gun.

Back