Axminster Clubman chuck - question for owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought the clubman 100mm chuck with the O'Donnell jaw set after my post about which chuck to buy for my Jet Mini lathe.

I just have a quick question:

Should the accessory mounting jaws have lateral movement in the chuck? Mine seem to move back and forth - a bit loose and wasn't sure if this was normal?

Mine do (80mm) but it it never occurred to me as a potential issue and its only marginal. They hold the pieces very secure ...... I still have my left eye in tact anyway :p

A call to axminster would be the best bet. They will only give you an honest answer and if there is something wrong they will replace. I don't think mine are 2-3mm but I can check.

Sounds like far too much movement Jen, are the jaws located properly on the jaw carriers ?

Can you see the movement in the jaw carriers themselves ?

Cheers, Paul

When I noticed it I tried taking the jaw carriers / accessory mounting carriers out and put them back in again so I'm sure they're located properly.

The O'Donnel jaws move as well with the jaw carriers. I think 1 and 4 might move slightly more. It might be 1-2mm rather than 2-3mm having just checked it again.

When you turn the chuck by hand you can see that the jaw that's dropping down to the bottom moves out a fraction with gravity. Should this happen?

All seems solid when it's in use in terms of holding the wood but don't want anything slipping on me.

I was taught a top tip the other day...loosen all of the tightening screws half a turn, so there is a little bit of play, them close the jaws fully, so that they are fully closed and then retighten the screws. This ensures that they are fully concentric. I'm not sure if this will assist with your problem though Jen. I have the K8 and the K10 and there is a little bit of play, but I'm not at home to check how much.

Have just been measuring some jaws and chucks and the smallest measurement of movement was 0.4mm the largest was 2.7mm. I also measured the teeth on some different jaw carrier sets and on different chucks and there are small differences.

Also putting one set of jaws on 2 different chucks gave different movement on one chuck it was 1.2mm on the other chuck, using the same carriers, it was 2.3mm.

I would say the movement you are getting is OK but an email or phone call to Axminster technical would get their official answer.

john

Thanks John. I'll double check with Axminster.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. It's very much appreciated.

when you grip something compressible like wood the jaws will all bite eventually even if they are slightly out of concentricity.
So not a problem usually.
However if gripping something non-compressible like a faceplate ring any discrepancy will become obvious as the jaws that bite in later will remain a bit loose and therefore not gripping - this is /can be dangerous if significant.
so , if you have something perfectly circular (a faceplate ring is ideal) that is non- compressible do try it and check for play in each individual jaw

Thanks Harlequin. I have a faceplate that came with the lathe so I can try that tomorrow.

I've just checked my K10 chuck with the O'D jaws. The chuck is mounted on the lathe and I measured the distance with the jaws horizontal and then thurned that pair vertically and measured again. The now lower has dropped 15 thou (0.381 metrik thingies) So double that and my chuck has 30 thou movement.

I checked both pair of jaws with my dial indicator very-near. So your movement sounds a bit excessive Jen. As has been said, check with Axy teck guys, they will tell you if it's OK or not..

I'd be totally lost without my K10 and O'D jaws :mrgreen:

Thanks John. I've sent an e-mail to Axminster but they're not back in until tomorrow so I'll see what they say.

Two actually. It's another bank holiday tomorrow because of the Jubilee but guess Axminster decided to work that one!

Hi Jennifer

I checked my K10 today with the standard "C" jaws that I usually use and there is definitely some movement when "relaxed". Give it a shake and there is a definite rattle. The important thing is that when you grip down on some thing that the jaws form a nice even ring and there is no rattling then.

I'm sure it is fine, just make sure you start with a small bit of wood to test it out!

HTH

Richard

Thanks Richard. It does seem ok when actually in use. I'll check it with a faceplate though. Didn't get a chance today as was at my parents for far longer than anticipated while Paul sorted out their computer which wouldn't connect to the internet 8)

Back