Axminster Clearance Auctions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurk99

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a link on the axminster home page about pre-registering for their clearance auction day - end of lines and returned products

Has anyone been to one of these before or is it the first?

cheers

jim

Just got the catalogue today (too long to list) - anyone else going? I've got one more batch of equipment to buy, and quite a bit of it looks like it's on there list.

Problem is, A) it's one hell of a way to drive for a "bargain" and B) It's after an official night out drinking with the boys. :shock: This alone is enough for me to consider not going, but their may be many bargains to be had, and I got a bonus from work so have a £1K to spend. Probably makes it worth going, as I reckon you'd expect to save at least 20% and rising? Thing is, is't going to cost around £60 in petrol + time + lost night out as I'll only be allowed a pint or two before I'll stop so I am safe to get up early and drive....

Does anyone else wish to hazard a guess on approx savings they think might be had? Everything has to be taken same day, unless you want to pay a delivery charge, £15 minimum.

Adam

The catalogue is here if anyone is interested.

Looks worth going, Adam, particularly if you have that amount of money to spend and there are plenty of items from your wishlist in the auction.

I'm sure I read a post from you a week or two ago which said that you had everything you need now... :wink: :lol:

NeilCFD

Neil":3kwi664r said:
I'm sure I read a post from you a week or two ago which said that you had everything you need now... :wink: :lol:
NeilCFD

Ahh, this is a few odds and sods, a second router (for the woodrat), belt/disc sander, bobbin sander, lathe, compound mitre saw, and a few bits and bobs, I notice another 300 lots in addition to the ones in the auction are also being auctioned, presumably smaller stuff, finishing, polishes etc.

Adam

I find it a bit worrying that they have so many AW106PTs - in fact I make it 7 of them as one of the lots has two of them - I wonder why so many have been returned?

Adam":3dmirok8 said:
belt/disc sander, bobbin sander, lathe, compound mitre saw
Are you thinking of extending the workshop upwards to get all this in, Adam?!

NeilCFD

Adam £1k bonus!! You lucky devil! Makes me think of leaving academia and returning to the world of commerce ;)

But then I'd miss 'working from home', the EIGHT weeks holiday :) , the lack of start and finish times, the 'academic freedom', no hiearchical management structure (i.e. no manager), etc. :twisted:

Guess I'll stay (£1k poorer) in academia after all.

Good luck for the auction mate, hope it goes well for you

Cheers

Tony

PS if there is a rat for £200 then please pick it up for me :)

Tony":satoduud said:
But then I'd miss 'working from home', the EIGHT weeks holiday :) ,

Hmm, my 6 weeks isn't bad, we're allowed to buy an extra week, at "cost" out of our salary, (which I did) which takes me up from 5.

Tony":satoduud said:
the lack of start and finish times, the 'academic freedom', no hiearchical management structure (i.e. no manager), etc. :twisted:

Ah hah, see I work in Research too, just on behalf of a multinational electronics company. So I get the benefits of both world, flexitime, bonus, flat management structure, relaxed.

Adam

Neil":2m5bffdy said:
I find it a bit worrying that they have so many AW106PTs - in fact I make it 7 of them as one of the lots has two of them - I wonder why so many have been returned?NeilCFD

I notice they have 10+ of their AW127R £99 1/2 inch Routers - although thats the one I was hoping for for the woodrat....

AWSMS10 Mitre saw - about 20 of those.....

Hmm, it's like a guide list of what stuff people have been rejecting, especially the smaller items....

Adam

cambournepete":fbqjq4ik said:
I'm on a Parish Councillor training course that day.
:shock: Crumbs, I'm pretty sure none of our PCs can have been on one of those... :roll:

I wonder if Axminster haven't scored a bit of an own goal with this auction. So many examples of the same tools being returned isn't the greatest advertisment in the world really, is it? :?

Cheers, Alf

Humm... I must admit, the AW127R seems a very un-Adam-like purchase, although I guess if you got one for £50 it would be worth doing.

AWSMS10 - It looks very good for the money, but you're right - why have 20 been returned? Has anyone on the forum got one?

I think you'll be alright with the sanders though.

You could always restrict yourself to spending £500, focussing on the sanders, then when you get home, spend the other £500 :twisted: on:

Mafell KSP55F1.4 Plunge Saw With 1.4m Guide Track @ £265.50 (go on, I know you want one)
Makita 3612C 1/2" router for Woodrat @ £219.95

NeilCFD

Neil":261txkdl said:
AWSMS10 - It looks very good for the money, but you're right - why have 20 been returned? Has anyone on the forum got one?
I've come close a couple of times, but always came to the conclusion it just won't be accurate enough at that price. And a CSMS that isn't accurate is a waste of space really. My guess is that's why 20 people returned 'em too. I think having the fancy CMT blade is a bit mis-leading; makes you expect more than you reasonably should for the price perhaps?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":p4wpy7wp said:
cambournepete":p4wpy7wp said:
I'm on a Parish Councillor training course that day.
:shock: Crumbs, I'm pretty sure none of our PCs can have been on one of those... :roll:

I wonder if Axminster haven't scored a bit of an own goal with this auction. So many examples of the same tools being returned isn't the greatest advertisment in the world really, is it? :?

Cheers, Alf

To be fair, it's probably matches the sales figures for each of the parts respectively, I imagine they sell a lot more £99 routers, than bobbin sanders, and the numbers in the auction tend to confirm that.

Neil":2u9g2o08 said:
Mafell KSP55F1.4 Plunge Saw With 1.4m Guide Track @ £265.50 (go on, I know you want one)
Makita 3612C 1/2" router for Woodrat @ £219.95
NeilCFD

Actually, they were two of the items I have been deliberating on for a while now. I'd actually narrowed it down to those two exact models as well. I was kinda hoping the routers would be going ~£10-20 especially if it goes in the woodrat, as I don't need a fence or any accessories.... Not sure, I'll decide when I get there.....Oops just re-read that, I'd settled on the Festool. But it's one and the same as athe Mafell anyway....

Adam

asleitch":2g6k11mc said:
To be fair, it's probably matches the sales figures for each of the parts respectively, I imagine they sell a lot more £99 routers, than bobbin sanders, and the numbers in the auction tend to confirm that.
True. But the whole idea of providing a great big list of what's been returned seems nuts to me. Purely as a result of this thread we're now wondering:

a)What's wrong with their CSMS?
b) What's wrong with their 1/2" router?
c) What's wrong with their P/T?

Doesn't strike me as a great result. :?

Cheers, Alf

Sorry to harp on about this, especially as its OT (and possibly OTT), but...

The chassis doesn't look anything like the same, look closely at the castings, they're entirely different. I think someone might have spun you a line somewhere. Copying the idea, sure, they're great rivals. But they're not the same in any respect that I can see.

Which is not to come down on one side or the other, they might be equally good, or the Mafell better. I just don't think it can be said that buying a Mafell is buying a Festool with a slightly cheaper badge.

Jake

Back