Axminster Clearance Auctions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about your asthetic taste either, Tony - I think the Flex version of your B&D, oops, sorry, your PC :wink: looks like one of its cheap B&D stablemates:
KW850E_HERO2.jpg

Damn! There goes my chance to win the box competition! :lol:

NeilCFD

Neil I am shocked!!! It looks nothing like the PC :twisted:

Even the B&D looks better than the Maffel though :wink: :p

Hehe, only joking Tony :lol: As you may remember, I was torn between the PC and the Makita 3612C myself - the PC looked to be a great machine (particularly the fence) and it was a close run thing...

I must admit I do prefer the US PC colour scheme to the Flex version though... :roll:

Now, what was the thread topic again? :oops:

NeilCFD

Neil":1uwv6fuj said:
Now, what was the thread topic again? :oops:
NeilCFD

Err, clearance auction? Anyone else going? I'm halfway through the lots sheet now, working out what each item is, whether I'm interested, and how much it is "new", what is says about it in the catalogue etc etc

Adam

Well, I'll be very interested to hear what you get, and more importantly, how much you get it for! Wish I could go, but the cost of the journey would put a bit of a premium on the total spend, even if things are going really cheap.

NeilCFD

I'm really interested in the bandsaw that is missing the table and motor. Shouldn't take much work to sort out. Think I have a bit of chipboard somewhere to make a table and I have a motor from a scaletrix car spare. :wink:
cheers
Philly :D
(always an eye for a bargain!)

philly do you still have the hand controler for the motor vroom vroom super fast band saw :twisted:

Frank,
Yeah, I am using the controller to vroom the bandsaw-only problem I am having is the little wire brush things are wearing out quickly! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Neil":1pf3anqb said:
So Adam,
Watcha get?????
NeilCFD

Jet (Axminster) M600 lathe, (new price £250) auction price £110. Brand new - the damage was the cable had been in contact with the polysyrene packing, and ion migration had started. Took about 10 seconds to fix with a scrape of the cable. Fired it up yesterday - and it's soooo smooth. I've actually got one of these on order from Axminster, (they are out of stock currently) so will cancel my order (today - done!). Lest they send another one... :shock: http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=APTCM600

Jet spindle Moulders. They gave out a revised catalogue when I got there, and they would no longer deliver - which I was hoping for. They said it was a "mistake" to have offered it. Bit of a bummer as that's what I really went for. Anyway, they were 2 of them and they went for £300 and £350 respectively. If they do it again, I'll take a van/taillift truck! http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=SSM1. These were in OK condition with just a "wipe-awayable" amount of rust on the tables. Bargian if I'd had a van with me.

Axminster (jet) Morticer. New Price £225, I paid £100. Have yet to work out why/what is wrong with it, to me, it looks mint. http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=BM58

Jet sanding station. (brand new). New price £315, I paid £110. This was a three man lift into my car, and with my injured back I can't lift it back out, but then again, I don't think a thief will run off with it in a hurry!. Still got the grease paper on all the beds - it is missing the little slide mitre thingy I think. (this one I think http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=JSG96 ) but without the stand (which is extra). Mine is Jet branded. (really pleased with this :lol: )

12" Mitre Saw. (on behalf of a mate) http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=MS12C Some level of use, but can't decide how much. No scrapes/damage to the table/fence, but obviosly raised and lowered a few times. Suspect a shop/display item. £200 new, paid £45. No blade though, but got one from work gratis :wink:

Small 24V chop saw http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AW190MS New £85, I paid £20. As my workshop is so small, I always have to cut long stock before it goes inside, especially timber for beehive stands. Although these saws are a bit manky, its just what I need to quickly cut a few bits of 2 x 2 or 3 x 2.

And a little perform compressor. New price 100, auction = £40. Not checked it over, but reckon its been used. Items were all marked as "AS" - as seen or "W" warrented for 3 months. I choose to only buy warrented items, which was probably over 90% of items, and why I was prepared to pay slightly more than I considered reasonable for auction prices.

The 1/2 routers went for up to £65 (new price 100) although that was only on the clearly absolutely brand news ones - typically they had one guide missing or similar. One guy paid over brand new list price for one item. Doh! The bargain of the day had to be a three phase bandsaw, brandnew, (a bit likeALF's) went for £35. Unbelieveable. They then sold a single phase motor that'd have fitted (some adaptor ring may be needed) for £25. So £60 for a £1K - 1.5K bandsaw. Needed transport though. A nice sedewick table saw (3-phase) went for around £6-700. and the 3-phase convertor went ridicously cheap. Would be well worth going with an eye to buying 3-phase and then converting. Most people simply weren't interested in bidding for it. Prices ranged from about 33-50% typically, (higher than I would have expected but then the stuff was warrented) some stuff up to about 85$ - dunno why, seemed little point when you could pay the extra and get brand new with a longer warranty and delivery. Everything 3-phase went so cheap you could pay the electricity board £750 notes for a conversion, and still be quids in on a £1K item!

All in all then, I got ~£1200 for a sniff over £400. With the two items I definately wanted (the sanding station and lathe) both brand new. It gave me a good insight into Axminster tools, I decided not to buy a router there in the end, I'll save my pennies for something better - and their were no "branded" power tools if I recall. I think for the future, I won't be buying their budget "white" range - their were a lot of returns. Even more of their planer thicknessers than advertised in the "additional" lots, they were selling 2 per pallet - presumably the mechanically competent were expected to salvage something out of the two. A pallet went for around £100-£150.

I'd say a bargain to be had if you knew exactly what you wanted, but loads of rubbish, which would require lots of effort. I'd be in two minds about going again, the only thing I'd go back for is a spindle moulder.

Some big lathes like this..... £2K went for <£200. Long bed, - problems like "no drive belt" or "no pulley". Relatively these are cheap things to fix.

Adam

A nice haul, Adam :D Particularly your two A-list items of the lathe & fantastic-looking sanding station (cue for Alf to make comment about space in workshop :wink: ). Shame about the spindle moulder delivery not working out though - that would have been a bargain.

Glad to hear that you have plenty left over in the budget for the 3612C and plunge saw :wink:

NeilCFD

Neil":vtrgniwz said:
cue for Alf to make comment about space in workshop :wink: )
NeilCFD

Whats a spare room for if not for storing wood and woodworking machines?

Adam

Neil":1z90rg4z said:
(cue for Alf to make comment about space in workshop :wink: ).
Am I so predictable...? Probably, yes. :oops:

Nice haul, Adam. If you want anythig stored, just give a yell huh? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Adam - glad you got a some good bargains.

Im not sure I want to know the answer to this but what sort of price did the work benches go for?

(Ive still not progressed beyond cutting the mortices in four legs for mine to date - I had pondered on going down on Saturday but had other more pressing things to do).

thanks, Mike.

Adam,

Definitely worth the trip I'd say! How long will you have to drive round with the sander in your car before some strong friends unload it for you?

waterhead37":1yrvwnde said:
Adam,

Definitely worth the trip I'd say! How long will you have to drive round with the sander in your car before some strong friends unload it for you?

I'll be unloading it at my parents tomorrow night, as until such time as I extend the workshop, their really is no space for it. Problem is I'm struggling to find time to do anythingalong those lines at the moment, I'm currently making 3 beehives and stands (well under way now) - would have been more time effective to buy them though! I want to open-out the loft hatch and board the loft, and extend the shed, finish my box for this competition, squeeze in a couple of weeks holiday, extract and bottle my honey (i.e. clean jars, make a big mess, get honey in jars, clean jars again on outside, label and store), restart my cabinet making evening class, finish my ash TV cabinet, etc. The shed extension never seems to make it much higher than about half way up that list!

Adam

Adam, nice purchasing and nice job list too. What are you going to do in 2006 when the list is completed? :wink:

Tony":2tfix60p said:
Adam, nice purchasing and nice job list too. What are you going to do in 2006 when the list is completed? :wink:

Hmm, I need to buy and adapt a hand-spun honey extractor for a motorised version (lots easier and I have a suitable motor with reverse!), I need to make 7 covers to hold chickenwire in a cube, to put over the beehives to keep the woodpeckers out over the winter, I need to build a tray asap to stop the honey leaking out of the hives when I bring them home, maybe build a conservatory :shock:, well, we need one (and have decided not to move at the moment - but still aren't sure :? ). For me, their are never enough hours in the day.

Adam

Latest posts

Back