Axminster chucks; Evolution SK114 vs. Clubman SK100...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangledfeet

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has an experience of both the Axminster Evolution SK114 and the Clubman SK100..?

I've seen them both but not at the same time, nor do I know anyone that has experience of them both. From what I've seen I'm very impressed with the build quality, precision and smooth action - also the 'gripper' jaws.

Axminster do an SK100 bundle comprising pretty much all the jaws I'd ever need;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...ning-chuck-professional-package-deal-ax936311

But the SK114 does seem to have a reputation for ultimate grip, however would be more of a financial investment; I'm sure my Patriot chuck and jaws would sell for a reasonable sum... and it was my birthday a few days ago!

Thanks!

You will forget, or get over, the extra cost long before you get over the joys of the evolution...... but that may not be very helpful as I have only used the SK100 a couple of times so cannot really compare other than to say I like the square key better than the cog one.

As an afterthought, what lathe are you going to use it on ? the evolution would look out of place on a mini lathe. :)

The Evolution at 114mm dia. has a slightly wider jaw operating range, significant if you intend to use Cole Jaws where a 100 mm chuck often leaves you in between optimum reach for the item you want to hold.

Just be aware that the basic Evolution as first engineered has zero rear clearance when fitted to lathe spindle nose so will not fit on some older machines without fouling the headstock and/or rendering the built in Indexing unusable or at least limited, there are alternate design options to overcome this but not for all spindle sizes.

As an afterthought, what lathe are you going to use it on ? the evolution would look out of place on a mini lathe. :)

I've got a Killinger KM1450SE with cast iron legs so the SK114 wouldn't look out of place at all!

The Evolution at 114mm dia. has a slightly wider jaw operating range, significant if you intend to use Cole Jaws where a 100 mm chuck often leaves you in between optimum reach for the item you want to hold.

That's possibly the most useful bit of information I could have hoped to have been offered; many thanks CHJ!

Indeed Cole Jaws are on the shopping list, too...

Many thanks, folks.

Hi,
I have one of the early SK100's and am rather disappointed with it. As mentioned above, if the chuck key is not exactly upright the gogs jump out. I have quite a few small nicks in the toothed ring where this has happened. No idea if this is a diy repair but postage to send it back to Axminster for repair would be, I think, quite heavy.

I've got both, No real comparison in quality between the two. Like comparing Trabant and BMW.

Save up the extra, cry once and enjoy the quality every time you use it.

Phil

flh801978":1ldzrh8n said:
Tangledfeet
Whatever's wrong with the patriot? Or what will it not do that the axminster chucks will ?

Nothing specifically but having seen an SK114 I am in no doubt that it is a higher quality chuck and the grip offered by its jaws are superior.

Sheptonphil":1ldzrh8n said:
I've got both, No real comparison in quality between the two. Like comparing Trabant and BMW.

Save up the extra, cry once and enjoy the quality every time you use it.

Phil

I genuinely chuckled at the 'cry once'..! :lol:

Only remaining decision now is whether to go for the reverse locking... one thing that the Patriot does have as standard. Must admit I have actually reverse turned from time to time.

Thanks, all.

flh801978":2sjogzwd said:
Tangledfeet
Whatever's wrong with the patriot? Or what will it not do that the axminster chucks will ?

I'm guessing maybe he's bought a new lathe and the Patriot won't fit it? I had a clubman on my old lathe but had to sell it and buy a new one as the old one wouldn't fit my new lathe. This is the only problem with some of the Axminster chucks. My current clubman has a fixed M33 thread.

woodpig":iw4mxvdz said:
.......I'm guessing maybe he's bought a new lathe and the Patriot won't fit it? I had a clubman on my old lathe but had to sell it and buy a new one as the old one wouldn't fit my new lathe. This is the only problem with some of the Axminster chucks. My current clubman has a fixed M33 thread.

To me this is the biggest let down with the newer designs in chucks, presumably with an initial desire to cut down on material usage, although marketed as a desire to lighten the construction.

Had new designs been made with ISO back plate compatibility as are 80% + of metal lathe chucks then spindle nose threads would have posed no problem at all, even allowing a chuck to be swapped between differing standards as quick as changing auxiliary jaws. (something I've done when taking my chucks off base.)

woodpig":10800taz said:
flh801978":10800taz said:
Tangledfeet

I'm guessing maybe he's bought a new lathe and the Patriot won't fit it? I had a clubman on my old lathe but had to sell it and buy a new one as the old one wouldn't fit my new lathe. This is the only problem with some of the Axminster chucks. My current clubman has a fixed M33 thread.

Same Killinger lathe, just planning on selling my Patriot chuck and jaws and moving over to Axminster SK114 and its jaws! Just trying to work out which jaws to order...

CHJ":3vdvfvuy said:
To me this is the biggest let down with the newer designs in chucks, presumably with an initial desire to cut down on material usage, although marketed as a desire to lighten the construction.

Had new designs been made with ISO back plate compatibility as are 80% + of metal lathe chucks then spindle nose threads would have posed no problem at all, even allowing a chuck to be swapped between differing standards as quick as changing auxiliary jaws. (something I've done when taking my chucks off base.)

Agreed. I think one other "feature" though is that the chuck could run more accurately without an adaptor. I haven't compared my SK100 and SC4 to see which is best but they both run well enough for me.

Selling a perfectly good 100mm chuck to buy a slightly bigger one sounds like a mistake to me. Having more than one chuck is very useful as it's much quicker than jaw swapping. I find even a 100mm chuck gets in the way sometimes so I'm sure the SK114 would be even worse for some jobs. Sadly no one chuck does it all. I'm currently waiting for a collet chuck to arrive from China for those "small" jobs. :wink:

woodpig":1kelo6l3 said:
Selling a perfectly good 100mm chuck to buy a slightly bigger one sounds like a mistake to me. Having more than one chuck is very useful as it's much quicker than jaw swapping. I

My thoughts too; have always seen the advantage to having more than one chuck! I've not yet decided whether or not to sell the Patriot.

And, as it happens, Axminster make carriers for their own chucks that will take jaws made by other manufacturers; only just found them and realised they'd offer even more flexibility!

woodpig":31dk61pz said:
.... I find even a 100mm chuck gets in the way sometimes so I'm sure the SK114 would be even worse for some jobs. Sadly no one chuck does it all. I'm currently waiting for a collet chuck to arrive from China for those "small" jobs. :wink:

Now my working methods are of the opposite sphere, 125mm dia. (the old Goliaths) being one of my most flexible and regularly used.
Must admit that biting the bullet over the years and obtaining multiple chucks has resulted in a bigger time saver and increase in flexibility than at first envisioned.

Collets have been under consideration for some time but I tend to 'manufacture' one of equivalents as and when needed as I don't handle a lot of spindle components with regular diameter stock.

My vote is for the Evolution as that's my go-to choice for everything these days. I have the usual selection of jaws but tend to use the gripper the least. I use the O'Donnell jaws for a lot of small piece work, they are an effective combination with the SK114. The big jaws (Mega Jaws I think they're called) are brilliant, spot on for big bowls. The chuck feels solid and is super reliable. Well worth the pennies.

I have an sk114, build is ok but the chuck bore is a loose fit on a brand new 1624 lathe spindle. It doesn't wobble just because the threads hold it tight against the end of the shoulder on the spindle. My cheap faceplates from axi fit fine.

Back