Axminster Chuck info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I got this along with some chisels and bits i bought a while back.
Its an axminster 4 jaw..... it has 2 back plates ( which look to be 22mm and 25mm ) and neither fit my lathe! I dont have a chuck, and will buy one at some point before xmas....

i will sell this setup, but is it worth keeping any of the jaws? I e the small dovetail set, or just sell it all? Im guessing the jaws are different for each make?

Thanks for your patience 😆 i dont know much about lathes and chucks yet

Pics

Attachments

• 20211108_151706.jpg
    20211108_151706.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211108_151632.jpg
    20211108_151632.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211108_151741.jpg
    20211108_151741.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 38
The Chuck you have I believe is an Axminster Super Precision Chuck, you can still get backplates that fit them from Beaufortink below.

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/toolp...rsachuck-wood-lathe-chuck-threaded-backplates
If you are thinking you might need a chuck then it is worth while keeping as that chuck is considered one of the better ones.

On Jaws Axminster Jaws only fit Axminster chucks (or Versachuck from Beaufortinks which has same backplate as your chuck)

Ah ok, thank you. Currently I only have a face plate with the multico.

I assumed ( wrongly ) that the backplates would no longer be available. I couldn't see the size i need in the link, so i have emailed them. If it's not possible to get the right size,
I'll let you know.

Thank you for the info!
Kev

The last two backplates on the page are just plain bores that you could get machined to correct thread.

Or if you can find one you could use an insert to go from your thread to a more common size, but this is not ideal as it introduces additional tolerances, but is doable.

As mentioned, looks very much like a Super Precision. A good chuck.
The jaws fitted are C jaws (looks like you have a second set on the right hand side). The ones on the left look like wood plate jaws, I cant see the ones behind the chuck properly.

If you can get a backplate from Beaufort (presumably a versa chuck one as the 2 chucks look very similar). I'd be inclined to make use of it if I was you.

Versachuck and Axminster Super precision chuck are both designed to fit same ISO standard backplate, as stated on the beaufort Inks website.

These are the others jaws, little dovetail ones.

Thanks for you input guys, i guess I'll need a good enigneering place to thread it correctly!

Attachments

• 16363889511959088562815329853945.jpg
    16363889511959088562815329853945.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
You change out the jaws when you want to do other turning that suits the smaller to larger jaws as needed. You didn't say what threads your lathe needs. It might be cheaper to get a new backplate already threaded but if the local machinist is good at their job and works cheap you should be able to have one of the existing backplates rethreaded to fit the lathe you have. Keeping the existing backplates could make it easier to sell the chuck down the road if you needed.

Pete

Its a multico junior.
The thread size is m20 x 1.5
I have emailed to see if they can supply one with the thread, if not, I'll get a blank and have it threaded. Both existing back plates holes are too big

Hi Pete!

Its a multico junior.
The thread size is m20 x 1.5
I have emailed to see if they can supply one with the thread, if not, I'll get a blank and have it threaded. Both existing back plates holes are too big

Hi Pete!
I believe they do have a 20m thread.

Fingers crossed. On the website they have a backplate with a 20mm bored hole, no thread..... so id need the 5/8 backplate to drill out and thread

Not a bad shout. When im up and running i had a couple of bowls that i made on my course ( about 24 / 25 years ago!! ) that i want to mount and sand, a few chisel handles to make and i want to make a couple more bowls and pots. I dont often gave much 'free' time so i probably won't use my kathe much. In fact ive Probably had it 3 years and havent used it yet! I turned it on last year to see if it still spins 😆🤣

Latest posts

Back