Axminster ccl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGas

Reaction score
New to Ukw.
I am trying to remove the inner pulley on spindle shaft to replace as it is broken. Have removed the outer pulley, but the inner one will not seperate from against the bearing. Am I doing something wrong. Have tried the usual lubes ect. There appears to be no burrs on shaft or keyway.
Bought lathe 2nd hand 2 years ago, so it's 20+ years old now. Although only a hobby lathe it has seen a bit more use just recently.
The reason for removal is that it has severely worn the belt to breaking point, suspected crack/damage to inner pulley. Is it just a case of more lube and perciverance or does someone know different.

Check that it does not have TWO grub screws, one on top of the other securing it to the shaft.

A blow torch can also help remove stuck parts. The outer part exands more when heated and can become easier to pull off.
Try the bearing puller alone first though.

Thank you Tiddles, Sideways and Lazurus. Have already tried the blowlamp. I am somewhat concerned on using a hub puller to remove something that crumbles quicker than a biscuit, but will give it a go. Axminster advised hitting shaft back and forth. Not sure how much force is required but don't want to do more damage. What is really annoying is why it is stuck so much when it should be loose. If the puller does not work, anyone know of a lathe for sale.

Is this movable pulley coupled to the speed adjustment mechanism or just pushed along the shaft by the mechanism?

If the former, is the mechanism completely disconnected?

If the latter did the speed adjustment work (move the pulley flange) before it failed?

I had the same problem so I got new pulleys and broke the old ones off. I now take them off during my annual maintenance, clean the shafts and put them back on.
I found that the Aminster belts wore quickly even with the new pulleys. I found a lawnmower belt the correct size and have used that for a number of years.

For future ref. Yes you do have to disconnect speed selector as pulley is held in bearing with circlip. Now all removed and waiting for new puiiey. Would it be great if there was a Haynes manual type thing online for service and repairs. Is there a budding J May out there ?

AndyGas":3k5sgus6 said:
For future ref. Yes you do have to disconnect speed selector as pulley is held in bearing with circlip.
I could not remember the finite details, it's some 14 yrs. since I serviced one of those drives on my old lathe.

Glad you are making progress,

Back