Axminster Biscuit Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, has anyone had any experience or know of any reviews for the Axminster own brand biscuit jointer?

I'm looking to get a cheapish but sturdy one for making cheap pine packing boxes so it doesn't need to be super accurate like a lamello or anything.

I was thinking of the freud from screwfix, or this axminster machine, any insight would be greatly received

I've got a virtually new Ferm BJ.
Biggest pile of poo I've ever used. so inaccurate and makes a horrible noise like its going to explode!. Going straight out the door.
I have heard the Axminster one is not that great either but just hearsay.
I am going for either the Lamello or Porter Cable asap but understand that what you need it for the cheaper ones may well do the job.
Regards
martin

I find it a tad fiddly adjusting the backset of the fence too. I get on fine with mine after chucking the useless bag away (the dust bag that is). It does a perfectly acceptable job for the "enthusiastic amateur" (that I suppose most of us here can class ourselves) and I felt it was a good buy.

cheers

Ike

I have the Freud and am chuffed to bits with it. Much better than my cheapy B&Q job - the fence is solid and accurate

ike, so apart from the fiddly backset, do you feel that it produces accurate biscuit slots for good joints?

Oh, certainly it does, in that the offset is repeatable and the biscuits are snug (which suggests to me that runout is not a problem - at least with my unit).

I have no experience of using a Lamello, Porter Cable or any other premium brand jointer (the 'F' word :wink: ), so in one sense I cannot validate it's performance. But certainly regard it as 'fit for purpose' and can recommend it on that basis, given it's price compared to more expensive tools.

cheers,

Ike

Thanks for the recommendation Ike, i'll go ahead and place my order. I'm confident that it will be a good unit, as i've had a lot of satisfaction with dealing with axminster, and you have given me the personal validation that it's worth a punt!

Any recommendation on which biscuits I should get? the lamello's seem quite expensive compared to the non-branded axminster ones.

ike":1f7drwcg said:
or any other premium brand jointer (the 'F' word :wink:)

If that means what I think it means, they don't make one anyway.

Any recommendation on which biscuits I should get?

I must admit to buying bags from the local builders merchant without really noticing what 'brand'. I wouldn't buy 'expensive' ones as I honestly think biscuits are all much of a muchness - they're all made of the same stuff and swell into the joint OK. I bet many different 'makes' come from one factory.

Ike

ike":132bn6np said:
Oh, I must be getting my wires crossed - sorry! :oops:

Hardly a problem, I only noticed because I specifically looked when purchasing, and was a bit surprised that they didn't do one. I guess they'd rather save their energies for proprietary stuff like the Domino.

Beech, I did read the reviews on the site, but couldn't find much user feedback on the axminster unit, plenty on the ferm and the freud though.

I didn't want to go as cheap as the ferm as I would be using it atleast a couple of times a day, hence the weigh up between the freud and the axminster.

I've been very pleased with my axminster purchases so far, and think is a deciding factor for me over the freud.

This is probably a really stupid question, but most of what I will be using the jointer for is putting together small-ish boxes and maybe the odd cabinet, to save on money I would prefer to just get a bag of one size (until I get used to using the machine) I'm thinking the 10 is a good middle ground size, but just to be sure, would 0 be to small for my needs, and 20's to big? Are there any guideliness or rule-of-thumb's that I should take into consideration with regards which size of biscuit to use?

I would go for a mixed bag to kick off with, you never know when you might need a smaller or bigger size biscuit.

I agree once again with what Ike says, also add the dust bag is totally useless like most machines and go for a vacuum suction instead.

Nil runout on my axminster jointer, 8/10

SP - i'll get a mixed bag as you suggest, glad your happy with your unit aswell, makes me feel even more confident that i'm going to be pleased with my purchase.

Just need a good mitre saw to go with it now :)

I've used the Axminster bj for a couple of years now and it's fine. No problems with accuracy that I've noticed.

Only niggle, as has been mentioned before, is that the fence is fiddly to set accurately as it runs freely on the support and doesn't have any rack and pinion or similar arrangement to keep both ends paralle, and also the alignment markings on the casting for this purpose are a bit crude so difficult again to set accurately. Having said all that I don't know if you can get better at this price point in the market......

Back