Axminster - Be Aware of 2012 Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just received an email from Axminster allowing me to compare 2011/2012 prices (effective 3/1/12) and I was shocked.

Veritas Steel Straight Edge
2011 Catalogue Price: £59.50 2012 price £75.50

Aluminium Winding Sticks
Price: £16.45 2012 price £17.26

It's obviously worth buying now.

The link is here.

Thanks,
Neil

They're optimistic, cant imagine there will be many companies expecting to increase prices in the current climate

Although I do, tend to go to Axminster as my preferred supplier, with these price rises I think they are taking the P***. I think I'll have to start shopping around.

Waka":3mm6mwhr said:
Although I do, tend to go to Axminster as my preferred supplier, with these price rises I think they are taking the P***. I think I'll have to start shopping around.

As I mentioned in last years price rises , they tried to cover them up with the VAT increase

They are making very good prophets , Just look at the big showrooms they have , and where does the money come from for this ?

Out of your pocket and mine

Shopping around is good for all

But to be fair to them, they are highlighting that there might be price changes in their latest email and giving you the opportunity to compare prices between 2011 and 2012.

Not sure it's working correctly.

I put in the code for the TH410 thicknesser.

Says 2011 price is £853.96
Says 2012 price is £849.50

Then tells me I'll save £4.46 if I buy it now :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mark

I was planning to outfit a small workshop next summer mostly with Axminster machines.
The price for this has just gone up by 20%.
"Fair" wasn't exactly my first thought.

The planer alone (CT150) which has gone up in price quite a bit this year would be an other 112£ dearer.
The TS (AW10BSB2) goes up 140£. :evil:

I will certainly rethink my choice in machinery and supplier.

Thorsten

Half of the 10 items I tried were actually cheaper or had gone up less than 2%, so doesn't seem so bad to me.

That said they laid it on thick with price increases last year. Against that I don't see any other companies with the commitment to sell quality tools or the level or service that Axminster supply, and all the staff at my local Wycombe branch are friendly and helpful. Who else is there, Rutlands? In their defence I've never had a problem with them but I've only ever bought stuff they had in stock.

Most local tool shops are useless, badly stocked or rude in my experience, when Axminster opened in Wycombe it gave Issac Lords a kick in the buttocks and now they are a pretty good shop as well, but until that point they were getting seriously complacent.

unra159":ag069671 said:
I was planning to outfit a small workshop next summer mostly with Axminster machines.
The price for this has just gone up by 20%.
"Fair" wasn't exactly my first thought.

The planer alone (CT150) which has gone up in price quite a bit this year would be an other 112£ dearer.
The TS (AW10BSB2) goes up 140£. :evil:

I will certainly rethink my choice in machinery and supplier.

Thorsten
If you're planning to outfit a whole shop in one go, you're probably in a position to negotiate better prices than advertised anyway.

Their catalogue prices have to be set at what they hope they can still offer the goods at in twelve months time. Any firm issuing only one catalogue a year faces the same dilemma. In another field of my interests the main and largest seller issues several huge multi-part catalogues several times throughout year so their prices gradually creep up rather than one big increase on the 1st Jan.

Waka":1m319j2m said:

I agree Waka. Im in the market for a bandsaw and tablesaw in January,think I will be giving Axminster a miss,I think they are indeed getting a tad greedy.

Everyone has a choice, we can buy from wherever we want. Remember RPI is over 3% and BoE base rate it totally detached from that.

If Axminster prices are too high, people won't buy from them, profits will drop and they will have to drop their prices. However, this is a bit like people complaining about supermarkets, they are only providing what people want, otherwise, people wouldn't buy it!

If you are willing to buy from another retailer and can do without the great service and excellent warranty, go ahead, I'm sure they won't be too upset.

Aidan

TheTiddles":33m7dmyu said:
Everyone has a choice, we can buy from wherever we want. Remember RPI is over 3% and BoE base rate it totally detached from that.

If Axminster prices are too high, people won't buy from them, profits will drop and they will have to drop their prices. However, this is a bit like people complaining about supermarkets, they are only providing what people want, otherwise, people wouldn't buy it!

If you are willing to buy from another retailer and can do without the great service and excellent warranty, go ahead, I'm sure they won't be too upset.

Aidan

You make some very sound points all of which I would have thought were obvious to most of us.

Although great service and warranties are not exlclusively linked to high prices and Axminster.

Dave

I know of plenty of other woody companies that offer as good a service.
Axminster don't do themselves any favours with some of there prices though, for example, in the clearance offers 1900 x 930mm sanding belt reduced from £35 to £24.

Errrm these generally retail for about £10, if I shop around I can normally get them for less.

doctor Bob":2zieqt4d said:
Axminster don't do themselves any favours with some of there prices though, for example, in the clearance offers 1900 x 930mm sanding belt reduced from £35 to £24.

Errrm these generally retail for about £10, if I shop around I can normally get them for less.

True, some of the special offers aren't special for their value!

doctor Bob":3ciiw908 said:

I don't doubt that Axminster give great service but examples as shown above leave a bitter taste in the mouth,and yes there will still be the "buyer beware" brigade that follow the "it's want people want" theory,but never the less there comes a time when "Creative Marketing" can bite a company on the bum. :roll: :roll:

If you're planning to outfit a whole shop in one go, you're probably in a position to negotiate better prices than advertised anyway.

I just wish I could start negotiations at 20% less. I will certainly check what they are willing to offer before I buy elsewhere.
And of course I had to chose all those machines that go up most. :oops: The PT106 has even gone down a few £. Maybe I won't go for separates.

Anyway, I was pretty set on Axminster and that wasn't just because they offered the lowest price (in 2011).
In fact they didn't.
I'm generally willing to pay a bit more for good service and peace of mind and so far I got that from Axminster.
But an other 500 or so just to sleep well makes my think twice.

Thorsten

I too was a little taken aback by some of the rises and understand some of the comments made here.

However, with 'everything' going up (raw materials, energy, fuel, transportation costs etc.) this was always going to happen. It never feels 'fair' and we always have a good moan, - perhaps we should just roll out the thread from last year. I suspect many of the comments will be the same!

For those that say if you don't like it go elsewhere I'm not sure there are many competitors for some of their stuff (an alternative to the AW10BSB2 for example.). If anyone knows of a similar beast let me know!

Will I still buy from Axminster? Yes - but I'll make damn sure I shop around first (I may even use (gulp) Rutlands!).

So Axminster get brickbats as a result of providing a means to check whether the price is going to increase - before it does - and then compound the villainy by emailing their customers to point out they could save a bit of dosh if they want to. Ye gods, do they have no shame, the Devonian swine? :roll:

Meanwhile the LN #7 creeps slightly further away from me every year - a whole pound sterling this year. Ho hum. *shakes empty-sounding piggy bank forlornly* :cry:

Back