Axminster - Be Aware of 2012 Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi folks a word of warning

i have ordered the following chuck http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-drill-chuck-and-adaptor-for-morticers-prod453677/ which was priced at £33+ when i saw this thread i checked the price and it has dropped to £19.25.

i spoke to axminster to ask if i would be charge the new reduced price when the item arrived. i was told no i would have been charge the old price if i had not called them and pointed out the price difference.

This process will work in your favour if the prices have gone up but if they have dropped you need to call them and get them to change the price on the system or you will be over charged.

hope this helps

jon

Some you wine some you lose I guess. I've recently got hold of that same morticer chuck and then returned it..it was fettled by the helpful staff and seems to work now. and if it goes wrong again I know how to fix it 8)

With a crystal ball I could have returned it for a refund and then bought it in the new year and saved 15 quid (hammer) but then it costs me a gallon of derv to get there and back.

This isn't a complaint, more an observation of lifes rich tapestry :ho2

Newbie_Neil":1kw0xvqk said:
Veritas Steel Straight Edge
2011 Catalogue Price: £59.50 2012 price £75.50

Aluminium Winding Sticks
Price: £16.45 2012 price £17.26

What I`ve just found strange is that the examples above show an approx 27% increase for the straight edge but only an approx 5% increase on the sticks even though they are by the same manufacturer. I was drawn to working out the rise in the OP as I`ve just looked for a veritas dowel cutter & this has increased by approx 38.5 %

Now I`m quite used to price increases in January, it`s a fact of life in my business, but the norm is to have a flat % rise per manufacturer over their range & not by individual products, some of which do seem excessive.

Not a whinge just a slightly confused observation.

Hi clk - sorry been away building stuff! No, I really don't have a problem with you. Don't have a problem with Axminster either (a regular customer). I just don't like being lectured on the basic fundamentals of business, and I am not alone. So if I feel you won't listen to other points of view I just walk away.
In the meantime the Veritas tail vice, a fine product indeed - quietly went from around £235 in July to £300 now. Over 25% price increase with no significant exchange rate shift, or any other reason I could imagine. It's $279 over there. Yes I know I can make my own mind up... and it's a firm NO.

Douglas not lecturing anyone ,but its clear by some of the comments in this thread that some don't understand business , you seem to stoke the fire then walk away (i never did get an answer to a question i asked you in another thread).

direct question - who has a commercial interest that has commented on this thread i 'm asking you this as you implied this.

i understand customers moaning about price increases no one likes paying more than they want for anything , but its when people try to work out why things have gone up i.e exchange rates , raw materials etc that i don't get. .When at the end of day the reason for price increases has little if nothing to do with the customer , i reckon all the axminster staff want ferrari company cars and thats why prices have risen .imo.

I have no idea what CLK230's interest is but as a general principle I'm definitely with Douglas and Jake on the disclosure of interest point. The implication of a forum like this is that members expressing a view have an unbiased disinterested viewpoint when they make posts unless they disclose to the contrary. That way members know where they are. Good examples of this approach being adopted are Matthew Platt of Workshop Heaven and Woodfinishman whose informed and declared opinions I always value.

Jim

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST !

i have no idea who Douglas is pointing the finger at thats why i have asked him

I noticed that the loaf of bread that I buy each week has gone up from £1.39 to £1.55 today - over 11% increase. I suspect that this is a taste of things to come.

Sorry to be gloomy. Happy New Year!

Lots of hot air based on the belief that Ax is a service to WW.

Ax is a business and will charge the max it can get.

The rest are the same - chuck the rose tinted glasses.

Hi clk, yes I was assuming that you may have some commercial interest in the Veritas brand or its distribution over here. I only based that on your views so heavily weighted in defence of the manufacturer, distributor and / or retailer... which I find odd from a typical consumer. And sorry but can't remember the other question you refer to.

Douglas - never assume things about me, what makes you think i'm a 'typical' consumer if thats some one that moans about every price increase then no i'm not.

no real defence to any manufacturer,distributor or retailer just plain common business sense , as me and others have said on this very thread Axy want to make as much money as possible it really is that simple !

the other question was the conflict of interest on another thread that you failed to answer a follow up question of mine.

still your choice to choose wether to answer or not just seems odd to enter a disscusion then ignore questions/points made.

happy new year to all

Hi clk... first of all, Happy New Year!!
If a typical consumer is one that moans about price increases, then I'm not one either. I don't bother moaning, but do like to draw attention to things like big price increases.
Re Axi wanting to make as much as possible, I totally accept - but there's the small question of 'price elasticity of demand' - I mentioned before the area under the price/volume curve.
Anyway, I'm sure they have all done their sums.
re The unanswered - might have been about conflict in the music industry? - I would surely have been accused of straying way off-thread. But it was pleasing to me to watch EMI decline and fall under the guardianship of Mr Guy Hands =D>

Now let's all go cut some wood :D

Super post I am just starting out and trying to organise a small workshop. I was considering purchasing the Jet JTS-10 Bench Top Saw Bench and the Axminster Premier Benchtop Router Table but both are increasing by over £20. I can see why companies only produce a catalogue for the full year but why not print a seperate price list. They could then review their prices on a quaterly basis. Bumping their prices up 10% is as Waka put it taking the P&*^

Can anyone suggest any other suppliers I could look at rather than Axminster?

Thanks

As part of a workshop upgrade I am doing at the moment I decided to invest in a Festool Kapex 120 SCMS.
Festool being Festool it is almost impossible to get a discount on this item so I decided to purchase from Axminster, because when I looked last week their price at £1074.00 was the same as many other retailers and I have always been very satisfied with their Customer Service.
So today I went to order the Kapex on line from Axminster, but found that the price had gone up to £1117.20 an increase of £43.20, approximately 4%.

Now this increase is not a huge amount, but given that last week it was £43.20 cheaper, that all the other retailers are still showing it at £1074.00 and that this is the recommended retail price on the Festool UK web site, I felt a little miffed.

So I called Axminster, explained the situation and after a short pause whilst the customer service operative consulted someone (assume a Manager) I was offered the Kapex at the pre-increase price.

I feel I have "won" a small victory, and Axminster have demonstrated good (reactive) customer service.
However, with Festool and other retailers still listing the Kapex at the lower price, I doubt Axminster will sell many, at least until the others catch up.

Martin.

I bought a Makita biscuit joiner over the New Year from Axminster, paying by credit card (unusual for me). In the new catalogue, they have gone up about 20% (without the extra 1000 biscuits that were previously included). They were shown on the web site as out of stock, so, knowing they can't charge the card until despatch, I checked to make sure the offer would still apply when they could send one. I was reassured on this.

And then, I had an 'order despatched' email this morning!

We've discussed the difficulties of annual pricing on this thread. Yes, it's awkward and Axminster must have good reasons for doing it, but, given that constraint, they obviously still want my business too.

Regards,

E.

Festool being Festool it is almost impossible to get a discount on this item
Does this mean Festool are indulging in the EU forbidden practise of Retail Price Maintenance?

Roger,
Yes it certainly does!
It has been this way for a long time,
Whenever I have discussed this with a Festool Retailer they all say the same, they can not give a discount on Festool products because Festool monitor their sales and will dis-own them if they start to discount.
The normal response to asking for a discount on Festool products is to be offered consumables instead, typically sanding supplies, vacuum cleaner bags etc.

I think this has been discussed at length on this forum before and it has been pointed out that it is both a good and bad thing, you can make a case either way.

Regards - Martin.

Back