Axminster - Be Aware of 2012 Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl":1vhzvf47 said:
Just flicking through the latest catalogue, and astonished to see that the Clifton No7 is going to be £331. Only a couple of years ago it was £220, and you often got a 10% offer bringing it to less than £200.
It's currently available from numerous place on the web (Google search) for about £290 - be interesting to see if they all increase in the new year.

woodbloke":2ds5zkji said:
I agree with Tiddles. We all, almost without exception, have nothing but praise for Axminster with the way they conduct business...except at this time of year, when the new catalogue comes out. Axminster have expanded greatly over the years with a vastly improved warehouse facility at the main branch as well as new branches up and down the country and all of it comes out of the profit they make, which I for one, don't begrudge it.
Just as a matter of interest, some of those members that are whinging about the prices may, say again may be quite happy to accept Ian Styles free hospitality and discount on March 9th...so maybe those that don't like the Ax prices don't want to go? Cake and eat it methinks? - Rob

I don't dislike Axi prices in general just those which have been increased rather excessively (by 20% and more).
Who wouldn't I ask myself.
As for the Axminster open day: If I could make it, I would certainly accept Ian Styles hospitality. And I would have no problem telling him face to face that those prices most probably force me to purchase elsewhere. Why should I? That is how business works. He'll understand, I guess.
By the way, free hospitality sounds very much like a private invitation to a private occasion. But we are talking about an event including the press which is pretty good marketing for a reasonable price that wouldn't work If no one came.
That is not meant as criticism but to keep a realistic perspective. Why keep it secret if it can be something for everyone. I certainly don't begrudge Axminster some nice publicity.

Thorsten

One thing about Axminster is that they're about as grounded as they can be, with respect to their customers. Because they are in both retail and dealer channels, they probably have a very good idea of the margins other suppliers make, they get excellent feedback about product demand and quality, and what customers are asking for.

Who on earth would want to increase prices, knowing it will drive away some business? They're all in the same boat in that respect.

My guess too is that their private-label pricing from China (and elsewhere) has to be tied-up at least six months before delivery. I bet that negotiation is 'interesting' - making volume forecasts in this climate is horrid. Get it wrong, and you either can't meet demand, or (worse) you have a lot of expensive stock you cannot shift profitably.

I'm sure too that, with a "free" delivery threshold as low as £50, most direct sales include the cost of logistics in the price, and that's been sky-rocketing recently.

All-in-all, they're still my first port of call. Given the effort they put into post-sale support, I'm impressed that they turn as good a profit as they do - the margins on sub-£500 machines will be pretty low, and some things must be almost loss-leaders.

I placed an order with Axminster today, incidentally: I was staying in West London and wanted to visit D+M, but they were shut! So sometimes it has little to do with price, but I can't blame D+M for giving the staff a decent Christmas break either!

I wonder - and I stress that I don't know - whether some of the increase may be down to that painful situation for the annual catalogue outfit when prices take a hike just after the catalogue comes out. Thus the retailer ends up taking a painful hit for the majority of the catalogue's life, before the new one comes out and they can get back to parity. In other words, the catalogue gives the impression of taking a high price hike, but it's simply that two year's worth of price hike has ended up in one catalogue price rise. Like I say, I don't know, but I do know that the likes of Lee Valley, for instance, have been caught out on that before now. It's really not in their interests to price themselves out of the market, but equally it's equally detrimental to under-price stuff in a market when prices rise by quite a significant amount from one end of the year to another.

Bottom line seems to be that Life Stinks and Prices Are Only Going Up at the moment. Everywhere. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but I'd sooner a well-run company get my few shekels than a pile-em-high and customer-service-is-for-idiots outfit. But that's just me.

When I worked in motor trade it was usual for the catalogues not to contain prices, those were in a much smaller booklet that was easy to amend and re-release as needed. I can't really understand why companies such as Axminster don't do similar, why tie yourself down to a price, months in advance, for a year when the markets are so volatile?

Doug B":abvlbvpc said:
woodbloke":abvlbvpc said:
Just as a matter of interest, some of those members that are whinging about the prices may, say again may be quite happy to accept Ian Styles free hospitality and discount on March 9th...so maybe those that don't like the Ax prices don't want to go? Cake and eat it methinks? - Rob

Is Ian offering a percentage discount on goods the day of the 9th ?
When I was chatting to him in October and discussing the arrangements, he did mention that there would be a nominal discount offered to folks, but didn't say what it would be. There will also be refreshments and eats laid on - Rob

Hello to all and Happy Christmas.

We can fully understand all concerns with the 2012 catalogue but tend to agree with some of you that a good pre-warning is a very good way to do business. OK we all want it at the cheapest price when we want to buy it but thats not always possible when you create a catalogue thats valid for 12 months.

However we are dealers for Axminster and Brimarc so if anyone wants Net prices for a combined order on any of the thousands of products please simple email or call us with the part codes you require and we will do our best to keep you as happy Axi customers and hopefully offer you good competitive prices. We have good stocks of popular items and can offer deliveries direct from there stores if needed.

Hope this helps some of you out and if you require FOC technical help please feel free to call us.

clk230":1mqq68lt said:
Woodbloke -

well said ,its a shame more people on here don't fully understand how business works.

Don't confuse "whinging " with having an opinion and choice.

The last time I checked that was one the things a forum was intended for.

And whilst I'm on mey soap box , don't presume you have the first idea about peoples knowledge of business or any other area.

thecoder":1eezp2dl said:
clk230":1eezp2dl said:
Woodbloke -

well said ,its a shame more people on here don't fully understand how business works.

And whilst I'm on mey soap box , don't presume you have the first idea about peoples knowledge of business or any other area.

so are you whinging or giving an opinion ?

No business(unless its a very quick expanding market in the short term) can sell at rock bottom prices and at the same time hold good stocks, give good service , free p+p , good website , good showrooms, well trained staff .

none of the above come free we the customer pay for this in the profits a business makes from us.

If as a customer we only want the cheapest possible price , then don't expect showrooms, demo's, open days etc. we'll just get a boring website with rock bottom prices which will also lead to less choice of product (declining highstreets anyone).

Can't comment on the prices increases yet as i don't know what the competition is doing with thier prices only time will tell if Axy are to expensive if they are i'm sure thier sales figures will reflect this.

i've said before the sole purpose of a business is to make as much profit from its customers as possible , as others have said if we don't like the prices then we can vote with our feet.

just my opinion (no whinging from me)

clk230":3nau4u2t said:
thecoder":3nau4u2t said:
clk230":3nau4u2t said:
Woodbloke -

so are you whinging or giving an opinion ?

No business(unless its a very quick expanding market in the short term) can sell at rock bottom prices and at the same time hold good stocks, give good service , free p+p , good website , good showrooms, well trained staff .

none of the above come free we the customer pay for this in the profits a business makes from us.

If as a customer we only want the cheapest possible price , then don't expect showrooms, demo's, open days etc. we'll just get a boring website with rock bottom prices which will also lead to less choice of product (declining highstreets anyone).

Can't comment on the prices increases yet as i don't know what the competition is doing with thier prices only time will tell if Axy are to expensive if they are i'm sure thier sales figures will reflect this.

i've said before the sole purpose of a business is to make as much profit from its customers as possible , as others have said if we don't like the prices then we can vote with our feet.

just my opinion (no whinging from me)
c

Oh its definately an opinion ! I'm not the whinging type. My opinion is also that you clearly think you are entitled to make assumptions that any of the above might be news to me. It's not !

my only assumption is you seem tobe having a bad day and trying to cause an argument, not sure why you felt the need to quote me in the 1st place.

There is one good thing I noticed in the new Axminster catalogue. Well, it's good news for anyone who owns their Jet JBOS-5 bobbin sander, that is...

The 3in bobbin/spindle assemblies are now about half the price of what they were previously! :cool:

It's still sad to see that their CT1502 surface planer is nearly double what it was in 2008. We don't have a great range of (new), cast-iron planers available to use as it is.

Hi Olly

I haven't been sent an Axminster catalogue yet, but are the prices in the new catalogue different to the current prices online.. Thanks Geoff

Just in case anyone isn't aware of how business works, I'll explain it in two key points...

1 - Sell stuff for more on average than it cost you.
2 - see above

That's it, simple really, I was going to publish that but deep down I'm a philanthropist, let this be my Christmas present to you all! :lol:

Aidan

Fantastic thread... how on earth did I miss it before?
I dutifully started at page one, and followed through expecting CLK at any moment ... BUT page three??? :roll: =D> :lol:

NOW, back to the OP - are they both Veritas products we are alerted about?

We here are consumers. If anyone (I have one in mind) has a commercial interest , then disclose it.

(edit) : p.s. Appleby Woodturning BRILLIANT - fantastic service, great planer blades, sharpening service and value second-to-none. Five stars plus from me.

Douglas - you seem to have a problem with me why ??

why should anyone with a commercial interest disclose it ? (unless its breaking some forum rule)

wonder if you'll just choose to ignore direct questions from me like you have in the past .

your one of the 1st to moan about certain members trolling and here you are mmmmmmmm makes you think.

clk230":15band9i said:
why should anyone with a commercial interest disclose it ? (unless its breaking some forum rule)

Basic civility?

If someone has a commercial interest it means that they have an axe to grind, an ulterior motive, and the polite thing to do is let people know so that their comments can be taken in context.

If they disclose it themselves, they're being honest and they possibly offer an interesting insight into the other side of the discussion.
If it's discovered later or known about beforehand but the impression is given that they're hiding it, then they just come across as dishonest.

(Mind, I don't know what or who he was alluding to there, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that one should feel forced to mention that they own a small number of Axminster shares (I don't know how plausible this is, either) and get a penny in dividends every time Ax makes a hundred thousand in profit...)

i can see it may be of interest if someone has a commercial interest , but even if a director of Axminster come on here and said i've put the prices up as i fancy a Ferrari whats it to do with us i say good luck to them .As a few on here keep pointing out we are the consumer we can make a choice wether to buy or not.

clk230":27pd4z10 said:
Douglas - you seem to have a problem with me why ??

wonder if you'll just choose to ignore direct questions from me like you have in the past .

your one of the 1st to moan about certain members trolling and here you are mmmmmmmm makes you think.

Now it starts to make sense :wink: . Yep very sneaky that is, I can see how certain "opinions" maybe influenced by their own involvement with suppliers,would have been nice to know that before.

Oh Appleby 5 stars from me too.

OPJ":25ghb8dk said:
There is one good thing I noticed in the new Axminster catalogue. Well, it's good news for anyone who owns their Jet JBOS-5 bobbin sander, that is...

The 3in bobbin/spindle assemblies are now about half the price of what they were previously! :cool:

It's still sad to see that their CT1502 surface planer is nearly double what it was in 2008. We don't have a great range of (new), cast-iron planers available to use as it is.
What seems to be the case is that machinery of Far Eastern origin, of whatever denomination or place of manufacture is rocketing up in price. Strange about the bobbin sander as a lot of other Jet stuff has followed the usual price increase line - Rob

Back