Axminster Basingstoke

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opens Monday next week, 14th at 8am, and then a bit oddly has the special opening event with discounts on the weekend of 19th, so I will likely pop in on Monday but not buy anything till Saturday !!!

Cheers, Paul

Well, yours truly was there this morning at dead on 8am, first customer through the doors, sad g*t that I am :lol: Well it is only a couple of minutes away so would have been churlish not to make the effort !!!

First impressions are that it's a decent size inside but not mahoosive, about a third of the floor space given over to larger machines (including one that I'm sure had your name on it Rob !), and seemed to have some of most things well displayed, although looks like there is still plenty of pricing up to be done next few days before the special discount event at the weekend.

Staff were very polite and helpful as you would expect from Axi', great to have the store in the area :D

Didn't buy anything though, maybe a few bits and pieces at the weekend perhaps :wink:

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2rbkmng5 said:
Well, yours truly was there this morning at dead on 8am, first customer through the doors, sad g*t that I am :lol: Well it is only a couple of minutes away so would have been churlish not to make the effort !!!

First impressions are that it's a decent size inside but not mahoosive, about a third of the floor space given over to larger machines (including one that I'm sure had your name on it Rob !), and seemed to have some of most things well displayed, although looks like there is still plenty of pricing up to be done next few days before the special discount event at the weekend.

Staff were very polite and helpful as you would expect from Axi', great to have the store in the area :D

Didn't buy anything though, maybe a few bits and pieces at the weekend perhaps :wink:

Cheers, Paul
I was going to go in before work for a mooch but my boss may have wondered where I was at 9am so went afterwards, its a decent layout without cramming it full of stationary tools or aisles of tools, a dedicated large machine area towards back (there were about 5 guys struggling to assemble what I think was a milling machine when I was there), even hot drink service in the corner. Agree with Paul that its not overly big (if Hobbycraft went to where Staples was across the road that would be more like it) but it'll be convenient to order stuff in there to collect as and when required.

Will definitely be there for 9am Saturday with credit card in hand, my birthday is on Sunday so I might go then too :D

I popped in there too today as I was passing by! I have been into all their stores as I travel round the country with my work. This one does seem to be the smallest. Having a few teething problems with the tills when I was there but I am sure this will be sorted before the weekend!

Harbo":3jxvdbw6 said:
.... with 10% off everything that weekend.
Is this correct as there's nothing on any mailing I've had about the store opening or on their web site or Facebook page ?

Will it apply to things they don't have in stock ?

Thanks bellringer, haven't seen that post.
Might be worth the trip down the M3 on Sunday morning then.

Mobbed ! Car park was full when I got there about 5 minutes before the advertised 9am opening time, and found that they must have been open since around 8.30am as the queue for the tills was already around the shop !

Decided not to bother getting any of the consumables I had planned on, as the 10% discount wouldn't have amounted to enough to make the queuing worthwhile, so missed out on the free goody bag and entry in the prize draw too :(

Don't do crowds very well so left them to it and went back home for a cuppa and thought of how much money I'd saved, miserable git mode :lol:

Cheers, Paul

I got there just after 8.30 this morning thinking there wouldn't be anyone there - wrong! About 30 people already waiting outside, the doors were opened 20mins earlier than advertised. It filled up really quick and by the time I got out around 9:15 with goods + goody bag the car park was overflowing.

paulm":2vpvz59h said:
Was there anything worthwhile in the goodie bag Alan ? :mrgreen:

Cheers, Paul

I got a (cheap) set of Fisch wood drill bits, a Bosch 6mm drill bit, some chocolate tools, packet of cleaning wipes, LED mini torch, Bosch post-its, mini can of spray lubricant, mini Stanley level, a yellow tote bag(?), a pen and a 237ml bottle of Titebond I.

I went to the Midlands MEX show on Thursday, so having spent a few pennies there that I did not intend to, I decided not to travel to Basingstoke this weekend.
Also Axy had a stand there - their first foray to Shows I think?

Not a very big stand and seemed to be concentrating on selling Proxxon stuff and no special show prices?

ny3a3e5y.jpg

Rod

Just got back and it was pretty chaotic.
One till working intermittently and one only taking cash, out of four that's not too clever.
Their stock control isn't working properly yet as there's stuff on the shelves they say isn't in stock and things that should be in stock missing.
Arriving at 9:59 and joining the till queue with five people in front of me, I didn't manage to get back out of the door until 10:55 despite having a type written list of items I wanted. Nearly fifty minutes just to deal with a single (helpful) customer ? I hope the later arrivals got better treatment. Hopefully the staff will learn how to use the tills and find stuff soon. The saving was worth the wait though.

I thought the guy giving the staff a hard time over the lack of goodie bags (they gave them all out on Saturday) was a bit pathetic though.

EDIT: Just waded through the separate invoice for the out of stock items I bought for later delivery and found that the lad serving me failed to apply the discount <grr> Let's hope APT's customer service will sort that mess out.

Well I guess a queue at the checkout given the interest in the new store was to be expected (sound similar to the spring & autumn shows at Yandles).
I visited earlier in the week as I was unable to visit this weekend, although there were some gaps on the shelves there was a good range of much of the smaller stock in the catalogue. I found the staff very helpful and Tom who served me quite knowledgeable. The Basingstoke store is defiantly the best stocked toy (I mean tool shop) in the area, the shop reminds me a little of the Lee Valley shop I visited a few years ago in Canada. I’ll certainly visit them for odds & sods, but I phone to check stock first.
Harbo, Axi have been present at different shows for a while, I have seen them at the last two Royal County of Berkshire shows, and they also ran there own show at Shepton Mallet and Exeter some 10 years back.

BW
Mike

Latest posts

Back