Axminster AWVSWL1200 Handwheel Jet 1642 copy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisp

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing how useful the handwheel is on the Jet 1642 at our club and not having one on my Axminster AWVSWL1200 I thought I would use some of the bits in my metal bin to make one.

The side panel removed from the left hand side of the headstock.

Threaded bar with a chamfered nut to centralise the bar inside the headstock.

Steel discs threaded through to make up the handwheel.

Discs being screwed onto the threaded bar.

Cover plate back in place.

All pieces screwed on.

The finished item, finished and polished.
This now makes it much easier to screw chucks/faceplates on and off without using the screw in spindle lock, I will use a thread protector to pop the drive centre off as the knock out bar can't be used, but as my faceplace type work out weighs the spindle work this isn't an issue, hope this helps.
Regards Chris.

An alternate that leaves the headstock morse taper clear is to turn up a wooden Handwheel and shaft to fit the spindle bore, bore out taper hole to take a cone washer in inner end and cross slit the inner end of the shaft for 50mm or so to allow it to expand, reverse collet fashion.

Easily removed if you want to access right through the spindle and gives you more leverage and control with the bigger handwheel.
Handwheel.jpg

Attachments

• Handwheel.jpg
    Handwheel.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,852
Thanks Chas,
I did think of using that design but had the Jet shape in my mind and wanted a more permanent piece.
Regards
Chris.

Do you not now have a heavy spinning mass on the end of a thin canti-lever shaft that could become unstable and fly off?

Just a thought

Aidan

I did think about that, but it it's quite a substantial shaft and runs perfectly true so I'm hoping not to have any problems.
Regards Chris.

Chrisp":3eocz52g said:
I did think about that, but it it's quite a substantial shaft and runs perfectly true so I'm hoping not to have any problems.
Regards Chris.

I assume you have turned a step on the first 'washer' to locate in the bore of the spindle to hold the threaded rod central.

If not, then I would consider it very unstable as queried by Aidan.

I also assume the only reason that the Jet lathe has such a plain small diameter rear spindle extension is because there is limited clearance between the spindle and the motor casing for a decent diameter hand wheel.

Chas,
It's not shown clearly but the bar is held with the two nuts chamfered to hold the bar central, the first washer has clearance for the nut to sit inside and allows for the handwheel to then sit firmly against the shaft with no flex or movement.
Chris.

Back