Axminster AWSMS10 Mitre Saw Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Ever since i purchased my Elektra Beckum compound mitre saw i have been looking to upgrade the stand that came with it. This stand is very basic and does not have any side extensions. Well that is not exactly true because Elektra Beckum do supply them as an optional extra if you let them legally mug you of £153.07 for the left hand side and £83.98 for the right.

I was going to build my own which would have been alright if i wanted it to stay in the workshop, but as i do a lot of work around other peoples house's i needed it to be portable as well.

I then came across the Axminster AWSMS10 in their latest catalogue. At £59.95 i was unsure if they would be any good, but after seeing exactly the same stand under the SIP brand name for £126 on the QVC shopping channel i thought that the Axminster one had to be worth a try.
I must say hear that i have since seen the same SIP model for £79.99 in one of the woodworking magazines, which just goes to show that even though SWMBO swears that she is getting a bargain from these shopping channels, it is not always the case.

When it arrived i was surprised at how heavy it was and that except for a couple of parts it was fully assembled .

The stand is constructed of heavy gauge steel box section and when i say heavy gauge i mean heavy.
It consists of a bed which is 920mm high, has a dept of 450mm and it is 1170mm long. This can be extended to 2000mm when you pull out the left and right hand side extensions.
On the end of each of these extensions is a roller stand which can be adjusted to suit the table of the mitre saw that you are using. As well as going up and down you can also adjust the rollers to tip back and forward.

Axminster claim that it is a universal stand which can be adjusted to fit most makes of mitre saw, and i have no reason to doubt this, especially if they can be mounted as easy and as fast as my one was.

The mounting kit consists of 2 alloy extrusions and 4 nuts and bolts and these were attached to my saw as follows. The Elektra Beckum has a rubber foot in each corner and after removing the bolts out of these i replaced them with the longer ones from the kit. The head of these bolts were then slid into the slots on the extrusions and tightened up. The 2 extrusions each have a handle on the front which when turned clamps the saw onto the stand, and it is as easy as that.
When you want to remove your saw all you have to do is turn the handles and lift it off along with the extrusions ,which stay connected to the saw, ready to be mounted again.

All that remained was for me to fit the wheels to 2 of the legs. These make it easy to move the stand around the workshop or site.

I am impressed with the locking mechanism on these legs which shoot a spring loaded bolt into a hole in the top of each leg. When open these stop any movement in the legs what so ever. In fact i am impressed with the quality of all the locking knobs etc.

Although the stand is large and heavy i think that it can still be classed as portable, and as the legs, extensions, roller stands can easily reduced in size, and the saw removed in seconds it would be ideal to shove in the back of a van and take on site.

In use i found the stand and rollers could cope with anything from a small moulding to a roof joist.

This is obviously sold as a mitre saw stand (you don't say), but if room was in short supply in your workshop, and you purchased some more extrusions from the manufacturer, made them yourself, or just used ordinary clamps, this stand could easily be used to mount other tools such as a bench drill, mortiser, dove tail jig and many others. When you have finished with the tool just unclamp it, put it under the bench and mount the next one you are going to use. In fact it is long enough to mount 2 things at once if you want too. Just think of the room you would save if you could lose your other stands and just use this one.
Good idea?, well maybe.
I could have done with it years ago when all i had was a 8x6 shed and any nook and cranny i could find in doors.

All in all this is an excellent stand, so if you are in the market for one you could do a lot worse then this.

Regards

Mike.C

Surfing to see what this beastie looked like was kinda disapointing; the only listing for the stand included a special offer.. no pic and no description of what the offer IS exactly... reach for the catalogue..

Looking at it Mike, I got a question for ya...
is there any way a cut off stop could be added to the stand for repeat cuts, or do you need to cut to a mark every time..???

Yes Mike i am going extend the fence on my mitre saw and it is then a simple matter of making your own repeat stop, or sourcing one from Axminster such as their "Fast Track Cut Stop" or their "Perfect Stop"

There is plenty of room on each side of the stand where a fence and or repeat stop can be mounted.

Hope this helps

Mike.C

Very nice Mike. I looked high and low for a plan of a stand which i could reduce in size and take out of the workshop.

It does not look like the review of this Axminster stand is that successful. I must admit that i had an idea it wouldn't be.

Cheers

Mike.C

If anyone is looking for a plan to make a stand from for use in the workshop, I found this onethat looks quite good. :)

Its on the tuit list, my miter saw lives on top of a cheap workmate type stand :oops:

Nice plan dave but i think at £60 plus an excuse to visit a tool shop is pretty good value

anobium punctatum":2gyhgjb6 said:
i think at £60 plus an excuse to visit a tool shop is pretty good value

I like the idea of visiting a tool shop, trouble is Axminster is a long way from me :cry:

I think the Axminster stand sounds good if you need to take it out for site work and £60 with rollers is quite good value, but it the workshop I would prefer one that has a cupboard or draws under it. In fact the s/h band saw I bought came with a metal stand which I only used long enough to make a rolling draw chest for the saw to mount on. Thats why I posted the link to the plan.

Mike sorry if you felt I had not looked at your review, I hope you do post more as they are a useful reference from real users :D

Hi All,

Cheers anobium punctatum.

Thanks Dave. I would agree that most people might prefer a stand with a cupboard in it, but i was thinking about someone who has a small workshop where space is at a premium, and they could use this stand for all of their tools/machines etc, and they could also take it out of the workshop if they wanted to.
But now that you have pointed it out those members with a small workshop would probably be better off with a stand/cupboard, because off the storage space.

The thing is i have a large workshop (two storey) so even though i had a small shed years ago, i do not appreciate their needs as much as i should do.

Regards

Mike.C

I've got the SIP version, which I found at Costco oddly enough. I was using it with my DeWalt DW711 mitre/table saw, and now with my Elektra KGS 303. The 303 came with a folding workstand, but the SIP has the extensible rollers which come in really handy for long workpieces.

Since I use the saws in more than one place, the folding stands are more useful to me than a cupboard or drawers - took the SIP and the 303 over to friend's last night, to mitre skirting board for them.

BTW, I had to make an adapter board for the KGS 303, as it's foot rectangle won't fit on the supplied rails. I used laminated chipboard, which works a treat.

Looks like you found the best price Mike, I think ours cost between 70 and 80 quid.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Seam's like we have got nearly the same set up, i have the KGS331.

I believe that your 303 is their new saw (or fairly new) with the broader base and this is why the legs won't fit.
Did you still use the alloy extrusions to fit your saw to the stand?

How do you find it as a portable stand?

Thanks for your post Martyn.

Regards

Mile.C

Mike,

The front to back size is the killer on the 303, the fixing centres are just slightly further apart than the alloy rails are long. So I've bolted the saw to a piece of laminate and the laminate to the rails. Does the job nicely, giving me a flat surface to reast things like try square, tape measure etc.

As a portable stand it's very heavy, but very portable. The wheels come in very useful for tooling it around even when fully set up.

Martyn

PS I have very good things to say about the 303, as a sliding mitre saw, it seemed to think it's a radial arm saw in a lot of ways.

Hi Martyn,

Smart way of making it your 303 fit your stand.

I am glad to see that you also think that its heavy, i thought that i was suddenly becoming a wally.
I agree that the wheels are handy for moving it about.

Nice to hear your happy with your 303, why don't you write a review on it?

Regards

Mike.C

I've got the SIP version but b******d if i can work out how to fit my DeWalt cross-mitre saw to it. The DeWalt has removeable feet and the screw thread matches that of the bolts supplied with the stand. The trouble is that the bolts are too long (Ok - easy enough to hacksaw down to length) but even if I do this I cannot see how to tighten the bolts up thus pulling the DeWalt down tight against the extrusion. The reason for this is that the bolts slide into the extrusion with the bolt heads captive and a square shank just below the bolt head stops the bolt turning anyway.

The only possible soluton as I see it is to insert the cut-off bolts into the DeWalt sufficiently far that they are a tight interference fit in the extrusion and then to hammer the Dewalt plus bolts down the extrusion. Very, very crude and there's no guarantee that they won't work loose and let the saw slide all over the place.

Nor does the DeWalt have any holes that go all the way through the base. If that was the case then I'd mount the DeWalt on a base board and bolt that to the stand.

I must be missing something here.

Could you bolt a baseboard to the DeWalt from the bottom with bolts of suitable length, counterbored for the heads?

Thinking aloud, Alf

I go with Alfs idea, make the board a bit wider than the saw and your got some where to put you square/tape/pencil or cup (between cuts (why does more dust go in the cup than round it? :x )).

$64,000 question.

Does anyone know what thread the bolts are on the DeWalt that hold the feet on. I thought they were metric but not quite. M6 goes in part way then locks...the threads are that close.

DeWalt in the UK don't know.

if it's not 1/4" UNF, it might be M6 metric fine.... my guess would be the 1/4" UNF though...

If anyone is interested, the spare clamps can be bought separately at £8.50 each (part no. 62494) ..this information being for the Universal Tool Stand from SIP,...which sounds as if it is the same as the Axminster.

Latest posts

Back