Axminster AWHBS400N Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd be one making a Bandsaw thread, but I'm thinking about getting the above bandsaw. Does anyone have it on here, is it quiet in use? Can it cut a decent veneer without screeching like a squashed cat? Or is it worth the extra £136 for the AWHBS450N?

I looked at all the Axi bandsaws last year and eventually ended up with the SBW3501.

For me, it seemed to be more robust and also has better adjustment features. For example, the table is mounted on trunions rather than the bent metal semi-circles.

I'm very pleased with the performance, particularly with the TuffSaw blades.

If you're anywhere near Rugby, you'd be welcome to come and try it out.

Good luck,

Thanks Peter, the higher quality parts explain why its more expensive but has less capacity. One thing I do like about the AWHBS400N and its bigger brother is they are floor standing now legs to trip on.

Is the SBW3501 actually only 500W or is that a misprint on the Axy site?

The direct comparison in the Axminster range are the Axminster SBW3501B at £766 and the Axminster AWHBS350N at £432. The machines have very similar specifications but I guess the SBW3501B must be much better made for the £334 premium.

I've had a AWHBS350N for a while and have no complaints.

SBW3501B

Blade Length: 2,552mm(100.1/2")
Blade Speed: 800m/min
Blade Width Min/Max: 3mm(1/8")/19mm(3/4")
Dust Extraction Outlet: 100mm
Max Width of Cut: 340mm
Max Depth of Cut: 200mm
Max Width of Cut with Fence: 300mm
Nett Weight: 84kg
Overall L x W x H: 690 x 720 x 1,770mm
Power: 550W
Rating: Trade
Table Height on Stand: 1,060mm
Table Size: 495 x 360mm
Table Tilt: -10° to +45°

AWHBS350N
Blade Length: 2,490mm
Blade Speed: 600 & 720 m/min
Blade Width Min/Max: 6mm (1/4") to 16mm (5/8")
Dust Extraction Outlet: 100mm
Max Width of Cut: 335mm
Max Depth of Cut: 200mm
Max Width of Cut with Fence: 225mm
Nett Weight: 90kg
Overall L x W x H: 760 x 720 x 1,700mm
Power: 750W (230V)
Rating: Trade
Table Height on Stand: 1,065mm
Table Size: 500 x 400mm
Table Tilt: -5° to +45°
Wheel Diameter: 350mm

I got the 450 model last year and on a mobile base as an extra.

It cuts perfectly with a TuffSaw blade, and does the job for me but does not have the quality feel of a machine costing £500 more.
So if the price suits and you are not fussed about brand its OK.

Chems":1tuc5a0x said:
Thanks Peter, the higher quality parts explain why its more expensive but has less capacity. One thing I do like about the AWHBS400N and its bigger brother is they are floor standing now legs to trip on.

Is the SBW3501 actually only 500W or is that a misprint on the Axy site?

It is only specified at 500W but it seems to perform very well.

I've cut 4 inch oak with a TuffSaws 6/10 tpi blade no problem.

The setup is also very easy, and it stays setup. I'm not having to constantly fiddle with it!

Sounds good, it'll go to the top of the to consider list. I'm more of a tablesaw user really but there are just some things a bandsaw is needed for.

I will more than likely be in the market for a similar bandsaw later this year (hopefully before baby number 2 arrives :) ), and was considering those machines, alongside the Record BS350.
Do you happen to know how they compare? Living up in deepest, darkest Scotlandshire, it's difficult to see either in the flesh....
And in fact, is the extra premium for something like a Hammer N4400 worth it?

Cheers,
Adam

Sorry, my only bandsaw experience is with the Axi that I have now, which I would recommend, and a Basato 4 that I owned for a while which was disappointing.

I previously had the Record rsbs 12 which cut to the depth of 6" but my axi 450 which of course is much more modern and a motor that didnt flinch at a 10" resaw to a piece of Iroko (12mm thick) gave me no problems.

Latest posts

Back