Axminster AWDWSG Wetstone Grinder - Experiences?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the above, and have pulled up a couple of mentions via the Search function, but no opinions on how people have found this. I'm not keen to fork out for something like a Tormek unless there's no alternative (which I struggle to believe), and was wondering if this was a decent piece of kit or not?

- Usage level - hobby
- Tools - woodturning chisels
- Location - Fixed in workshop

Many thanks!

Another possibility may be the Worksharp 2000 from Rutlands (currently out of stock) that others have reported as being an excellent bit of kit. I have an old Tormek that I bought cheap second hand - it's good, but expensive new and the jigs are also expensive. If I needed to replace it I'm not sure what I'd buy.

Misterfish

I just had a look at this on Axminsters web site

Looks like it does plane irons and carpentry chisels , cant see any jigs for turning tools :?:

Axminster do a turning tool jig set called the Storm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-st ... rod819724/

it would be best to use it with a slow speed grinder like this one

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod460432/

may be out of your budget ? but it will do everything you need and your chisels will last longer as they will only need a quick sharped rather than trying to hand grind without a jig

RogerS":zmkqvx9t said:
I've tried 'em all. Scary/oilstones/waterstones/Tormek-type and none...bar none...compare with the ease and simplicity of the Worksharp 3000.

How does that compare to the 2000? I can see the obvious differences on the website, but I was wondering if the jump in price was worth it, or whether a 2000 would suffice?

I can see how the ws3000 would be superb for flat blades, but how would it deal with turning chisels and gouges?

Si

knappers":3o8kw08l said:
I can see how the ws3000 would be superb for flat blades, but how would it deal with turning chisels and gouges?

Si

It has a slotted wheel and slotted abrasives...you feed them up from behind. Probably a video somewhere or other on how to do it.

I have the axi version your asking about. Its not bad for the price.

The water sump plug does leak a bit on mine so keep a towel under it or empty it when not in use. The wet stone on mine is uneven so don't give a truly flat surface (may have been my fault). The switch appears to have a common issue of braking. However mine has become useful and keeps my tools sharp enough and flat enough. The tool jog comes with a holder which I find difficult to fit some chisels into due to thickness.

Overall I wished I spent more on something better but its not so bad that I feel I need to dump and buy better now. Ill wait till its broken out of warranty then replace.

Latest posts

Back