Axminster aw1950b bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picalilli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Anyone had any experience with these?
I can’t find anything about them online, is this a new line?

Coincidentally I was just thinking of buying a record sabre 250 but this actually looks like a fairly decent competitor spec wise, and is around the same price (plus available local to me). From what I can gather Axminster bandsaw have a fairly good reputation too?

How do people think this compares with the sabre 250? It’s going to be my first bandsaw so haven’t got a clue really.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-workshop-aw1950b-bandsaw-230v-107711

I used one of these when I went on an Axminster Course a couple of years ago (and the larger models) - seemed pretty good. BUT I would suggest buying the biggest throat bandsaw that you can afford - I bought one, an Axminster, and whilst it's a great machine the size limitation is annoying . . . wish I'd spent more money. The Axminster has a bigger throat than the Sabre . . .

@Picalilli Axminster have recently rebranded, the Axminster Workshop (AW) range is the new name for Axminster Craft (AC) range if you look for the model with AC instead of AW you will find reviews.
I have the AC2606 and love it as @robgul says get the biggest you can afford it’s what I did as I did look at the smaller but got mine maybe one or two years ago now.

hth

Padster

I have one with the Craft brand. It is excellent. I use Tuffsaw blades with it. But I do agree with other posters about getting the biggest throat you can afford. I would have bought a bigger version of the model with afterthought. But I’m very happy with the one I have accepting it’s throat limitation

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking of going for the aw2305b now. £589 for the upgrade to the extra capacity and power seems worth it? The upgrade from the sabre 250 if I went with record power would have to be the bs300e which is £750, and I can’t stretch that far.

I need to consider dust extraction too. Would a cheap shop vac (triton 49ltrs/sec) hooked up to a homemade cyclone be good enough for either of these?

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-workshop-aw2305b-bandsaw-230v-107999

I need to consider dust extraction too. Would a cheap shop vac (triton 49ltrs/sec) hooked up to a homemade cyclone be good enough for either of these?

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-workshop-aw2305b-bandsaw-230v-107999

My 2KW household vacuum (connected via cyclone) makes very little difference (compared to no vacuum connected) to dust collection of AC1950B

According to AW1950B spec
Min Extraction Airflow Required390 m³/hr

49ltrs/sec = 176.4 cubic meter/hour, i.e. less than half the recommended Min airflow.
Connected via cyclone and flexible hose - you lose another 20-30% of declared airflow.

As everyone else said earlier - go as big as you can afford and bigger. Depending on your needs consider if you need wider throat (useful if you are making guitars) or larger height (if your need to re-saw stuff). For instance - I am completely satisfied with AC1950B throat size but having issues with its re-saw capacity all the time. Your requirements may be different.

PS: I own AC1950B which looks exactly as AW1950B (minus the new branding) - it is an OK bandsaw, but has 3 issues for me
1. will not buy another saw with ceramic guides
2. upper blade guard (the one which holds ceramic guides) goes out of alignment (left/right) every time I move it, i.e.forget about proper gap between left/right blade-guide & the blade.
3. on/off switch is mounted upside down. My brain is hard wired that Off is Down, On is Up. With this saw I had a couple of close calls when needed to turn the saw off quickly and pressed wrong switch (On instead of Off)

buying the biggest throat bandsaw that you can afford
A very good bit of advice, don't just think of depth because having that bigger throat and a bigger table allows more space when cutting curves and better support for the workpiece. Also the bigger machines may cost more but they do not take up that much more floorspace apart from height, my Record BS400 is not that much larger in size than the BS300 bit offers more cutting ability.

As for dust, I find the bandsaw is a clean machine compared to mitre saws & table saws and only needs some extraction if doing a lot of work on it. When I am only doing one or two cuts then I just hoover up later as there is not much dust and you should really hoover out the inside anyway to ensure it is clean.

Thanks - I did think the air flow might be an issue, but I can’t afford anything bigger at the moment so will just see how I get on.

Is the blade supplied with the Axminster ones okay or is it worth swapping straight out for a tuff blade?

Also, curious, why don’t you like the ceramic guides? The description has them as a positive feature because they don’t wear?

I’ve reserved the aw2305b at my local Axminster store now, so pretty much settled on that one as the biggest I can afford (slightly more than I can afford tbh 😄)

Is the blade supplied with the Axminster ones okay or is it worth swapping straight out for a tuff blade?

Also, curious, why don’t you like the ceramic guides? The description has them as a positive feature because they don’t wear?
Supplied blade is OK to start with. Gives you some time to figure what blade witdh/TPI means before you decide which better quality blade(s) you may need. Don't use supplied blade for resawing particle board though :) instantly dull blade is guaranteed.

Ceramic guides are just a personal preference. You may find that you like them. For me - they are fiddly to setup properly and (more importantly) can't be replaced with a set of Carter style bearing guides.

Collected today. Looks like they’ve done away with the ceramic guides on the new ‘workshop’ line.

Mostly just set it up and created the space for it today but pretty happy with it out of the box. Tested a rip cut on an inch thick piece of oak and dealt it it really well, nice smooth cut, so assume will be even better once good blades are installed.

Downside of going larger means it needs a more powerful dust extraction - the triton shop vac I have hooked up to it isn’t even touching it. Dust extractors look to be eye watering money! Might just be hoovering out the inside for the time being as spectric suggests…

Thanks for the advice all!

Collected today. Looks like they’ve done away with the ceramic guides on the new ‘workshop’ line.
Congratulations with your new tool ;-). Have fun.
Interesting about the switch away from ceramic guides. I must not be in a minority who does not like them then.

Downside of going larger means it needs a more powerful dust extraction - the triton shop vac I have hooked up to it isn’t even touching it. Dust extractors look to be eye watering money! Might just be hoovering out the inside for the time being as spectric suggests…
If you want to continue shop vac route - you may want to try following:
1. block the large outlet on the back
2. disconnect bottom end of the transparent pipe from bandsaw
3. connect your shop vac directly to the bottom end of the transparent pipe.

Difference is not going to be huge, but when you are doing a lot of sawing in one go you may find that your shop vac is doing at least some dust collection when connected this way.

1654424688823.png

Cheers - might give that a go. Think you’re right - the shop vac just isn’t powerful enough for 110mm suction outlet. I seen something on YouTube where a guy just hooked up the vacuum hose right underneath where the blade is on the table, as close as possible to the bearings etc without touching, and he said that worked quite well. May try a few things.

Really pleased with the saw so far, now that it’s set up.

3. on/off switch is mounted upside down. My brain is hard wired that Off is Down, On is Up. With this saw I had a couple of close calls when needed to turn the saw off quickly and pressed wrong switch (On instead of Off)
Why don't you turn the switch upside down, there are only 2 screws holding it

I have the 1950 and am satisfied. Bigger would be better but at the time I had a space and £££ limit. The column does move side to side when you raise/lower it but you simply hold it in the right place as you tighten the lock screw.

As for blades, and this will be relevant to the bigger machine as well, Axi supplied one is fine but having the right blade for the job makes a huge difference. I added tuffsaw blades, a 3 tpi, 4 and a 6 for various jobs. With practice blade change is reasonably quick.

Ceramic guides OK, spark a lot with a new blade, I think any roughness on the rear edge causes it and gets worn off after a bit.

The top red stop button is more prominent and sticks out further than the green go button, same layout as my RP lathe.

I'm sure a big Bandsaw is better than a small one, but any Bandsaw is better than no Bandsaw :)

Last edited:
Just been looking at dust extraction options - I’ve seen this one not far from me that I’m considering. Anyone any experience with these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35409714...U4MQAg0SdC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Have looked online a little and these sheppach ones are supposed to be loud. Really could do without that, but are all of the ones this type the same? There’s similar Axminster ones - wondering if they’d be quieter, I’d possibly be willing to wait and pay a bit more if they were

Why don't you turn the switch upside down, there are only 2 screws holding it
That was the first thing I tried. Unfortunately it does not fit due to shape of internals of the switch. The only way I could see to make it fit was to cut into the frame, but my bandsaw was under warranty at the time, so I decided against it.

Back