Axminster AW12BSB2 Sliding Table Saw for a serious hobbyist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orenx

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just moved to the UK recently and I am currently in the process of rebuilding my workshop. Unfortunately I am still unfamiliar with the local brands. I saw this table saw for sale Axminster Sliding Table Saw Single Phase 3 Kw | eBay and wonder if anyone has had any experience with it? I am a hobbyist but would like to buy a table saw that would last me two to three years. It requires a 16 amp fuse but I suppose I could get one of these 13 amp UK 240v PLUG to 16 amp SOCKET ADAPTORs ?

Best,

Orenx

Cracking saw, more than good enough for the hobby guy, I’m workshop runs a similar smaller the 01332 10” version, my workshop is a busy full time business have been using the machine daily for years, no issues.

Hi all,

I just moved to the UK recently and I am currently in the process of rebuilding my workshop. Unfortunately I am still unfamiliar with the local brands. I saw this table saw for sale Axminster Sliding Tablverye Saw Single Phase 3 Kw | eBay and wonder if anyone has had any experience with it? I am a hobbyist but would like to buy a table saw that would last me two to three years. It requires a 16 amp fuse but I suppose I could get one of these 13 amp UK 240v PLUG to 16 amp SOCKET ADAPTORs ?

Best,

Orenx
3KW motor, i.e 4hp, nah you will have to get an upgrade to your supply
as the machine will trip the breaker, and if it didn't for some wacky reason, it would likely run with too much amperage and overheat the cables.
You could likely feel the wire and it would be warm to touch in a few mins I guess,
Have you a heavy enough gauge of wire to the supply, can you visually follow it to main CU?
I wouldn't consider more than 3hp on a 13 amp supply.....

Best you can hope for on a 13a household plug is 2hp / 1.5kw as the starting current of single phase induction motors is very high and will trip the breaker.

Looks like your planning to do some real work, might be worth getting the sparkie,
as you will need decent extraction to use with it, and not some little vacuum cleaner
unless you plan on the using in a barn the odd time and suiting up for the job.

If that's a possibility, then the VFD/inverter route might make sense
if you look into 3 phase machines, that is ...
the ones which have dual voltage motor option are suitable to use with these.

Likely better off getting a sparkie around to get a fitted/upgraded consumer unit fit for 16 amp outlets.

All the best

I used to own a different branded version of this. I hate table saws, so I sold it, but the machine itself was fine, and it'll easily last you more than 2-3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if you got ten years out of it.

Tom is right to question your power supply. I wouldn't use a 16-13amp converter cable. Get a proper 16amp socket installed and use the appropriate cable. Just make sure the circuit you're plugging into has enough capacity to run this and any other lighting or extraction you have running. 30amp should be okay.

Presumably your ring main has a 30A domestic standard breaker. These come in various types - I do not mean current overload ratings - but the trip rating. This is usually close to the stated current - the 30A, but on the other extreme, a 30A type D breaker, which will still trip at a continued 30A overload, will handle a 20x inrush from a motor start. Check the appropriate breaker choice with a friendly electrician.

Back