Axminster AT254LTS OR AT254TS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallaceandsons

Established Member
Reaction score
One comes with the right hand extension with a space for a router one doesn't, there is a £1200 difference in price and apart from the machined right hand router table, cast iron bit, it's the same saw. I want the router table, but I could just make it. What would you do? It's a big price difference

I think there are some other differences. The pricier one has a more powerful motor. The smaller one also only has a wooden (coated) right hand extension rather than cast iron (with router table).

I’ve recently bought the cheaper one and it works well for my needs.

Overall I've been pleased with it, but I'm not really a big machinery connoisseur.

Mechanically it has been fine. The fence seems very solid to me and is very adjustable so it can be fine tuned (which needs a bit of time and patience to get right).

Obviously it doesn't have cast iron side tables, but I don't think that's a big problem. In some ways it would be nice to have a small left hand side extension but I don't really have the space for it anyway.

The only thing I changed was to replace the out feed table with one I made from ply so that I could cut relief slots for the mitre gauge. The lack of those in the supplied table is a bit of a design failure really. (I'm toying with the idea of modifying the out feed table again to incorporate the top of my trend bench top router table.)

The other thing which isn't great is that the insert around the blade is very thin which makes it harder to make a decent zero clearance insert. To make one out of flat ply, you're limited to 3mm which is a bit thin really. I've done that and it works, but I should probably make a thicker one with recesses for the supports (if that makes sense).

I didn't think the blade it came with was fantastic. Perhaps it's because it's a general purpose blade, whereas I've replaced it with Freud dedicated rip and crosscut blades.

I'd recommend going to have a look at one at Axminster.

Latest posts

Back