Axminster AT129PT replacement cutters on Spiral Head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I have the above machine and overall I love it. It has many faults but none of them critical or damaging to the end result, which is excellent.
I am looking at buying a new set of 56 cutters. I bought the machine secondhand, 18months old. It came with the little bag of goodies that Axminster supply with the hex tool to undo the bolts, spare bolts and 5 spare cutters.
the spare cutters are in a box as below and they are identical to those on the machine.
this box clearly says that the cutters are 15 x 15 x 2.5, 30 degree bevel with a 150mm radius.
Axminster only sell replacements with 102mm radius and say that they have never changed. Apparently all machines sold have had that?
it is conceivable that the box is wrong..
I tried crudely to measure the radius but I don’t have any accurate way to do it. Inscribed two circles at 102r and 150r and tried to compare but it’s inconclusive.
Anyone have any ideas or knowledge? There are good quality alternatives to Axminster at a much lower price (£6 each from Ax) but I need to be sure what I need! Note that the ‘made in Germany’ ones have Chinese writing….
how would I measure the radius accurately?

thanks all

john

Attachments

• E3542093-DC35-4C98-902A-6F5CA1C5BE12.jpeg
    E3542093-DC35-4C98-902A-6F5CA1C5BE12.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2F1A2E97-F0B1-42BE-ABE0-A3E68FD844E1.jpeg
    2F1A2E97-F0B1-42BE-ABE0-A3E68FD844E1.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DDEAB1BF-595F-426F-A473-A32FE6AE52DF.jpeg
    DDEAB1BF-595F-426F-A473-A32FE6AE52DF.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 59FD83AE-FC43-42CF-BA53-AD4F842EB304.jpeg
    59FD83AE-FC43-42CF-BA53-AD4F842EB304.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 27
You can buy radius gauges, both concave and convex. It may be worth a visit to an engineering supplier as these cutters are used on other machinery apart from woodworking and then just get a full set.

Thanks Roy.
just another thought to all those who own one of these machines - what came as spares with your machines?
the price from a reputable Chinese manufacturer (like Tigra, who made these) is close to $150 for 60 pieces….not £360…!

Last edited:
what I do( have done) is to remove all the cutters clean them in thinners then lap them on a diamond stone. clean them off and away you go. obviously rotate them so each edge is honed 3 times before it comes back around again. the outfield can be adjusted slightly but probably won't need it.

those cutters are only used for wood...the angle is to steep for use with metal.....
I'd just go straight to China.....cut out te middle man....
dont worry about the rounded corner.....it's only there to take away the knife edge....I'd say any radius would be good enough...
I'm sure I've seen em for just a couple of quid each.....

Hi all and thank you for the helpful replies. The radius issue is on the four cutting faces, not the corners, it’s either 100mm r or 150mm r. Straight edge cutters won’t fit because the back of the carrier has the same curve.
you can just see the very gentle curve on the cutting faces in this picture and also how the cutter fits really snug into its location on the drum.
oh, and I know it’s a bit grubby, I just put a load of softwood through it! I will take the time to remove them all and lap them.
I am really interested in what other 129/310 owners have marked on the box of their spare cutters!

Attachments

• B1AA57EA-D5FB-45CA-90CA-29990BF5204F.png
    B1AA57EA-D5FB-45CA-90CA-29990BF5204F.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Can’t stop thinking about your radius issue. If you bear in mind the cutters are 2,5mm thick and are attached to the outside of a cylindrical drum (sort of) the cutting edge, regardless of any curvature, will always be 2,5mm greater in height than the diameter of the drum it’s attached to …or am I missing something really obvious? Edited after your post on the seating for your cutters…that does kinda blow out the ones mine uses.

Last edited:
Oh and one more moan, Axminster, whom I generally rate, are ridiculously expensive for these cutters. I will certainly go direct to China when I am sure abuot the radius.

Can’t stop thinking about your radius issue. If you bear in mind the cutters are 2,5mm thick and are attached to the outside of a cylindrical drum (sort of) the cutting edge, regardless of any curvature, will always be 2,5mm greater in height than the diameter of the drum it’s attached to …or am I missing something really obvious?
Yes it’s a logical thought but if you look at the pic I just posted the top cutting (curved) edge fits tight against the location on the drum So it has to be the same shape. A straight on certainly won’t fit but I suspect it doesn’t matter between 100r and 150r

the honing is really effective produces wispy shavings for a few days. the biggest problem with mine is the feed roller is made from soft metal and its worn in the middle bit so it doesn't really grab to well.

There should be a 6 digit part no on the box… let me know that and I can get the drawing for you and confirm which ones it is. We have a lot of different sizes, radii, thicknesses and angles in stock.
paul

I agree. What is the matter with most of our retailers. It just takes a little effort to be switched on to customer’s needs. Well done Scott and Sargeant. In fact I nearly bought the Itech when I was looking for a machine. I ended up with the Axminster one because I stumbled across a really good used one. In fact, in view of this I may consider changing tye machine now.

ref the box, here is the photo..and thanks

Attachments

• 891CA659-4FE5-4D4F-BAE5-30712D1756A3.jpeg
    891CA659-4FE5-4D4F-BAE5-30712D1756A3.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 6CF51D91-B08D-4031-B13F-47610A889B45.jpeg
    6CF51D91-B08D-4031-B13F-47610A889B45.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
I agree. What is the matter with most of our retailers. It just takes a little effort to be switched on to customer’s needs. Well done Scott and Sargeant. In fact I nearly bought the Itech when I was looking for a machine. I ended up with the Axminster one because I stumbled across a really good used one. In fact, in view of this I may consider changing tye machine now.

ref the box, here is the photo..and thanks
Our part no is TA101540
..they are in stock (approx 10 boxes tho) … they will be going up as Tigra have announced price rises because of material cost increases etc etc which will be filtering through. Link is
https://www.scosarg.com/15-x-15-x-2-5-tungsten-spiral-planer-knife-box-10
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HfrMrbvtF3zdGwZ86
cheers
Paul

Last edited:
There should be a 6 digit part no on the box… let me know that and I can get the drawing for you and confirm which ones it is. We have a lot of different sizes, radii, thicknesses and angles in stock.
paul
Paul

Do these fit and are they the right cutters for my itech 260s 🤔

Rightho. Several things arise from this.
First a big thank you to Scott and Sargeant. Jester129 is quite right, this is the sort of service and attention to detail that we need. I am not affiliated to them, in fact I have never bought from them (but that will change). I bought the Axminster machine fortuitously and, but for a few niggles, I am really pleased with it. Had it not been for finding this machine I might well have bought the Itech from S&S.
Naturally, retailers are at liberty to charge what they want for what they sell and we are at liberty to shop around but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that Axminster charge nearly £6 each for these and others less than £3 and direct from China even less - remember there are 56 of them…
Second point is that Axminster are insistent that the cutters have a radius of 100mm. They don’t, mine are defo 150mm. Axminster only sell r100 ones. Which is a worry. In fact, I think either will be fine from a fit point of view, not sure about performance.The few times I have had to call them for technical advice on this machine they were helpful but sketchy, like there was no in-depth knowledge of the more obscure settings not covered in the published material.
I am not anti Axminster, far from it but I do think that they could be a lot better and more pro active.
Again, well done S&S and thank you to them and all of you for your help.
John

Back