Axminster AT107PT planer motor failure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroberts

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months back I acquire a second hand AT107PT and gave it its first decent workout today. All was fine at the time, but when I went back to it tonight the motor wouldn't start and just groans. It makes approx 1/8 turn of movement.

I guess that one of the capacitors has failed. What I cannot figure out is the best way to get at the motor. Has anyone been down this road before me and can offer advice? It looks like the best way would be from the bottom but I don't really want to tip it over if I can avoid it.
Thanks

Jonathan

I can't remember for sure but if you remove the side panel that covers the belts and chains etc can you get to the motor, you just remove the screws and the panel comes off. Think you might have to remove bracket that holds down the sliding fence first then the panel comes off, you might need to slightly lift the panel as you remove it.

Yes, I have just been investigating further. Looks like I just need to remove the flywheel and the drive belt. Then if I can support the motor I can unbolt it and slide it out if the wires are long enough..

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_201116.jpg
    IMG_20200508_201116.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61
Well considering it is a "Trade" product and motor capacitor failures are reasonably common, access was a monumental pain. The motor is too large to come out through the access hole on the rear so I ended up standing it upright on the floor and dismantling the motor wiring cover through the hole.

The capacitor is clearly dead. I think I will mount it's replacement in a more accessible location!

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_101153.jpg
    IMG_20200509_101153.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200509_091550.jpg
    IMG_20200509_091550.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Back