Axminster AP4300T/1 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market to get a new Bandsaw for use in my Design Technology Dept. At the moment we have a small 3phase Startrite 14-S-1 which is giving up the ghost and does not meet the BS4163 regulations due to not having a Electronic Brake or stop time under 10 seconds.

The school have given me a budget of around £1100 for a Bandsaw. I have to buy a new machine from a reputable supplier and it must have an Eletronic Brake and conform to BS4163.

The AP4300T/1 from Axminster looks like my best bet at the moment.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-industrial-series-ap4300t-1-bandsaw-prod780613/

700355_l.jpg

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I too am in the market for a serious bandsaw and have looked at this machine, but am now tending towards a Jet JWBS 18Q in 3ph. A bit more money, but I wonder if the build quality would be superior.
Or for near enough the same money, the JBBS 16Q, though personally I want the larger capacity and greater power of he 18BQ

I haven't ruled Axminster out yet though and am also interested in peoples view on this topic.

Have a look at the Strartrite 352E, specifically built with educational users in mind...very impressed with mine, with a much bigger tension spring (so it'll tension wider blades) than equivalent Jet or Record machines. The cheapest place to get one from will be the Yandles show coming up in Feb...and free del - Rob

I have the same saw and I would not hesitate in recomending it. Everything including the bearings and electro-mechanically braked induction motor is heavy duty. With a decent dust extractor connected to the two 100mm outlets the extraction is very good. And with a 300mm depth of cut, it ticks all the boxes.

It has been made with schools and colleges in mind and comes with a BS certificate, edand I believe Axminster even use it in their educational department.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers

Mike

I have used the Startrite 352E before at another school. It was good but just didn't feel right, I wasn't a massive fan of the fence and it's rail system.

I did actually look at picking up the Startrite 502E as well but it is very similar to the Axminster machine by the looks of it.

The Hammer N4400 is probably the only machine that would probably tempt me away at the moment but I heard there is a long lead time, sometimes up to 3 months for the machines. The video says you can only tilt the table between -10 and +22.5 degrees which for a supposedly well engineered machine seems pretty small.

EDIT - What is better wheel bearing guides or the ceramic plates that you get on the Hammer or Jet models?

Back