Axminster Air Nailer AW50N - Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
The firing pin is not returning.

I notice Axminster do a replacement pin, but I am pretty sure this will NOT solve the problem.

I've stripped it apart tonight and rebuilt it. The pin 'o' ring is a good seal in the piston.

It seems like there should be 2 air pulses, one to fire, one to return ??? the return one isn't working.

The pin is staying down a bit, and in turn the next brad is not loaded, but the pin still leave the mark as if it's working.

I noticed I am using less brads than usual !!!! a bit worrying, for the work I have sent out !

So ... anyone had this problem and solved it ?

Should I just buy another ... at £50 it's not much, considering I use it all day - most days.

Cheers
Rich

Have you tried a bit of oil on the firing pin and guides, or have a look see if the end of the drive pin is burred over from use file it smooth if so. I found it stops the pin returning fully.

I fully stripped it tonight. there is no resistance on the straight metal part of the pin, the only resistance is the O ring in the piston, which makes me think there should be a return air pulse, as there is no return spring, or any other means to return to firing position

Fixed it :D

As I have a new one on order, I thought it ok to strip the trigger, which turned out to be quite simple :roll: .

So, I figured out how it works (different to how I'd imagined), and thought I'd post, for anyone else that has a problem.

When you plug in the air line, the handle area acts as a receiver and pressurizes.
The trigger has a small venturi/tube which runs up to the top of the piston/barrel where the vent / exhaust is. This top cap has a valve in it.
When the trigger is pressed, a small amount of air diverts to the top valve and dumps the pressurized air into the piston barrel and fires the pin.
As the pin descends, it forces air into a small chamber around the piston, and so pressurizing it. It is this compressed air that returns the piston/firing pin back to the top after firing.

I replaced the o ring on the OUTSIDE of the piston and sealed it with petroleum jelly.
Now the pin returns completely (better than when I bought it ! )

Jobs a good'en

Now I will have 2 nailers (which I have wanted for a while ) and can be lazy about changing brad sizes, and have one for long and one for short :mrgreen:

I've got the same model Rich and so far no problem, but thanks for the info, could be mighty useful in the future.

Roy.

I kept looking at it thinking there is nothing to go wrong, apart from wear / seals !. It's much like a car piston / valve , which I can fix easily ! It was the valve / tube in the trigger that gave the game away :)

Latest posts

Back