Quantcast

Axminster Air Nailer AW50N - Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
The firing pin is not returning.

I notice Axminster do a replacement pin, but I am pretty sure this will NOT solve the problem.

I've stripped it apart tonight and rebuilt it. The pin 'o' ring is a good seal in the piston.

It seems like there should be 2 air pulses, one to fire, one to return ??? the return one isn't working.

The pin is staying down a bit, and in turn the next brad is not loaded, but the pin still leave the mark as if it's working.

I noticed I am using less brads than usual !!!! a bit worrying, for the work I have sent out !

So ... anyone had this problem and solved it ?

Should I just buy another ... at £50 it's not much, considering I use it all day - most days.

Cheers
Rich

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a bit of oil on the firing pin and guides, or have a look see if the end of the drive pin is burred over from use file it smooth if so. I found it stops the pin returning fully.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
I fully stripped it tonight. there is no resistance on the straight metal part of the pin, the only resistance is the O ring in the piston, which makes me think there should be a return air pulse, as there is no return spring, or any other means to return to firing position

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
Fixed it :D

As I have a new one on order, I thought it ok to strip the trigger, which turned out to be quite simple :roll: .

So, I figured out how it works (different to how I'd imagined), and thought I'd post, for anyone else that has a problem.

When you plug in the air line, the handle area acts as a receiver and pressurizes.
The trigger has a small venturi/tube which runs up to the top of the piston/barrel where the vent / exhaust is. This top cap has a valve in it.
When the trigger is pressed, a small amount of air diverts to the top valve and dumps the pressurized air into the piston barrel and fires the pin.
As the pin descends, it forces air into a small chamber around the piston, and so pressurizing it. It is this compressed air that returns the piston/firing pin back to the top after firing.

I replaced the o ring on the OUTSIDE of the piston and sealed it with petroleum jelly.
Now the pin returns completely (better than when I bought it ! )

Jobs a good'en

Now I will have 2 nailers (which I have wanted for a while ) and can be lazy about changing brad sizes, and have one for long and one for short :mrgreen:

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got the same model Rich and so far no problem, but thanks for the info, could be mighty useful in the future.

Roy.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
I kept looking at it thinking there is nothing to go wrong, apart from wear / seals !. It's much like a car piston / valve , which I can fix easily ! It was the valve / tube in the trigger that gave the game away :)