Axminster Accessory Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst on the visit to Axminster last week, Ian Styles their MD was explaining how they had had problems with the quality and supply of their accessory jaws from China, and had therefore decided to bring the manufacture of them back in house... I commented that I knew what he meant as the jaws I had received for Xmas were lousy - very poor machining and a poor fit in the scroll of my SP chuck. I mentioned that I had raised it via email with their customer service dept., but hadn't had a response. Over lunch, he appeared with a new set of their "rounded end" in-house machined jaws for me. I tried them tonight, and they really are night and day different from the earlier ones in terms of quality and fit.

Si.

As said while there them square end one do scare the hell out of me when turning with them open wide. I'll replace mine with the rounded end ones at some point. Ill wait to see if the Axi chuck I have will fit the new lathe thread wise.

Mr Hudson sir! You do not have to replace them (certainly not at £29.0 odd per set) all you need is one of these.

images.jpg

cheap as well, just put it in a Jacobs chuck on the lathe or drill press, round off each corner of the accessory jaw and replace.

There you have it! Rounded off corner jaw set. :roll: (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

John. B

Oh and BTW if you have an Axi chuck with a back plate (like the precision chuck) just change the back plate to fit your new lathe.

J.

I was thinking about using my bench grinder to round them off but did ponder whether doing so would remove the coating which protects from rust etc.

So long as you don't put them in the dishwasher I don't think you'll have a problem. :roll:

I rounded off all my accessory jaws when I first started to buy them over 18 years ago. never yet had a rusty one. 8) 8)

:-k :-k they were under £20.00 then if I remember correctly. :cry:

(I did find the cushion drum sander made a far better finish than a grinder)

John. B

Latest posts

Back